Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Recipes Vegetable and Vegetarian Recipes

This topic contains 10 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  craftysprinkles 3 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Snagg1
      Send PM

Please post any vegetable and/or vegetarian dishes here πŸ™‚

killer broccoli recipe – i actually did this on the BBQ using indirect heat, soooo easy and so yummy.

btw, i'm not a broccoli fan,

http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2008/11/the_best_brocco.html

Snagg1
        Send PM

Looks gooooood! I printed it out and will pick some up for dinner tonight! The sweet taters look good too! Yum Thanks!

Snagg1
          Send PM

Tried this last night. It was really, really good! Thanks Shell. πŸ™‚

craftysprinkles
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

Shell, that looks delicious, I've copied it out, thanks!!!

I tried this recipe yesterday and everyone loved it. My sister-in-law asked for the recipe also

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

OMG! I just made this tonight and I can't stop eating this. It will be a regular for me from now on.

craftysprinkles
              Swirly Scrapper
                Send PM

I just made this minestrone soup, minus the pancetta and I subbed the chicken broth for vegetable broth. It was fabulous. I got the parmesean rind from Whole Foods.

If you are pressed for time you can β€œquick-brine” your beans. In step 1, combine the salt, water, and beans in a large Dutch oven and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove the pot from the heat, cover, and let stand 1 hour. Drain and rinse the beans and proceed with the recipe. We prefer cannellini beans, but navy or great Northe beans can be used. We prefer pancetta, but bacon can be used. To make this soup vegetarian, substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth and 2 teaspoons of olive oil for the pancetta. Parmesan rind is added for flavor, but can be replaced with a 2-inch chunk of the cheese. In order for the starch from the beans to thicken the soup, it is important to maintain a vigorous simmer in step 3. The soup can be cooled, covered tightly, and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Reheat it gently and add basil just before serving.

INGREDIENTS
                Table salt
                1/2pound dried cannellini beans (about 1 cup), rinsed and picked over (see note)
                1tablespoon extra virgin olive oil , plus extra for serving
                3ounces pancetta , cut into 1/4-inch pieces (see note)
                2medium celery ribs , cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3/4 cup)
                1medium carrot , peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3/4 cup)
                2small onions , peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
                1medium zucchini , trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
                2medium garlic cloves , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
                1/2small head green cabbage , halved, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 2 cups) (see step by step below)
                1/8 – 1/4teaspoon red pepper flakes
                8cups water
                2cups low-sodium chicken broth
                1piece Parmesan cheese rind , about 5 by 2 inches (see note)
                1 bay leaf
                1 1/2cups V8 juice
                1/2cup chopped fresh basil leaves
                Ground black pepper
                Grated Parmesan cheese , for serving
                INSTRUCTIONS
                1. Dissolve 1 1/2 tablespoons salt in 2 quarts cold water in large bowl or container. Add beans and soak at room temperature for at least 8 hours and up to 24 hours. Drain and rinse well.

2. Heat oil and pancetta in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until pancetta is lightly browned and fat has rendered, 3 to 5 minutes. Add celery, carrot, onions, and zucchini; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are softened and lightly browned, 5 to 9 minutes. Stir in garlic, cabbage, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and red pepper flakes; continue to cook until cabbage starts to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Transfer vegetables to rimmed baking sheet and set aside.

3. Add soaked beans, water, broth, Parmesan rind, and bay leaf to now-empty Dutch oven and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat and vigorously simmer, stirring occasionally, until beans are fully tender and liquid begins to thicken, 45 to 60 minutes.

4. Add reserved vegetables and V8 juice to pot; cook until vegetables are soft, about 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf and Parmesan rind, stir in chopped basil, and season with salt and pepper. Serve with olive oil and grated Parmesan.

craftysprinkles
                Swirly Scrapper
                  Send PM

Butteut Squash Lasagna

This is an awesome dish! I make it every Thanksgiving!

Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
                  Prep Time:
                  30 min
                  Inactive Prep Time:
                  15 min
                  Cook Time:
                  1 hr 25 min
                  Level:
                  Intermediate
                  Serves:
                  8 to 10 servings

Cook's Note: The no-boil lasagna noodles can be substituted with fresh spinach lasagna sheets. Look for fresh lasagna sheets in the refrigerated section of specialty markets.
                  Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
                  1 (1 1/2 to 2-pound) butteut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
                  Salt and freshly ground black pepper
                  1/2 cup water
                  3 amaretti cookies, crumbled
                  1/4 cup butter
                  1/4 cup all-purpose flour
                  3 1/2 cups whole milk
                  Pinch nutmeg
                  3/4 cup (lightly packed) fresh basil leaves
                  12 no-boil lasagna noodles
                  2 1/2 cups shredded whole-milk mozzarella cheese
                  1/3 cup grated Parmesan
                  Directions

Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the squash and toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour the water into the skillet and then cover and simmer over medium heat until the squash is tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Cool slightly and then transfer the squash to a food processor. Add the amaretti cookies and blend until smooth. Season the squash puree, to taste, with more salt and pepper.
                  Melt the butter in a heavy medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, whisking often, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the nutmeg. Cool slightly. Transfer half of the sauce to a blender*. Add the basil and blend until smooth. Retu the basil sauce to the sauce in the pan and stir to blend. Season the sauce with salt and pepper, to taste.

Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F.

Lightly butter a 13 by 9 by 2-inch glass baking dish. Spread 3/4 cup of the sauce over the prepared baking dish. Arrange 3 lasagna noodles on the bottom of the pan. Spread 1/3 of the squash puree over the noodles. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese. Drizzle 1/2 cup of sauce over the noodles. Repeat layering 3 more times.
                  Tightly cover the baking dish with foil and bake the lasagna for 40 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses over the lasagna. Continue baking uncovered until the sauce bubbles and the top is golden, 15 minutes longer. Let the lasagna stand for 15 minutes before serving.

craftysprinkles
                  Swirly Scrapper
                    Send PM

The best green bean casserole:
                    makes 10 servings
                    2 tablespoons butter
                    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
                    1 teaspoon salt
                    1 teaspoon white sugar
                    1/4 cup onion, diced
                    1 cup sour cream
                    3 (14.5 ounce) cans French style green beans, drained
                    2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
                    1/2 cup crumbled buttery round crackers
                    1 tablespoon butter, melted

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
                    Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth, and cook for one minute. Stir in the salt, sugar, onion, and sour cream. Add green beans, and stir to coat.
                    Transfer the mixture to a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish. Spread shredded cheese over the top. In a small bowl, toss together cracker crumbs and remaining butter, and sprinkle over the cheese.
                    Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the top is golden and cheese is bubbly.

Krissy
                    Krissy
                    Swirly Admin
                      Send PM

Black Beans and Quinoa

We just made this for dinner and it was a HIT with the kids. You can add chicken if you like but no meat keeps it on the cheap end for big momma's like me.

3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
                      2 cans black beans drained and rinsed
                      1 onion
                      1 tbs minced garlic
                      1 1/2 C Vegetable broth (or chicken broth if you prefer)
                      1 tsp cumin
                      1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
                      ? Cilantro
                      salt and pepper to taste

Optional:
                      1 can diced tomatoes
                      1 bag frozen co
                      1 TBS lime juice

1. Mince your onion and saute in co oil. Add yoru garlic when it's about 1/2 way done.
                      2. When the onions are clear add the quinoa to the pan and cover it with the broth. (add the can of diced tomatoes here if you choose) Season with cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, simmer for approximately 20 minutes. (mine only took 11 or so)
                      3. Add the co, cover and cook 5 more minutes
                      4. Add the beans, lime, and cilantro. I used dried and just added as much as I wanted. I think fresh would be AWESOME but it's been my experience that fresh cilantro is much more invasive than dried.
                      5. continue to cook on low until the beans are heated through.

Gaish with fresh avocado, tomato, lettuce, fresh chopped green cabbage, cheese, sour cream, black olives….whatever you choose.

Can be served in tortilla shells if you choose.

Great topping for a taco salad as well.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

craftysprinkles
                      Swirly Scrapper
                        Send PM

Andie, this looks delicious!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.