Home Forums Scrap Chat SQOTW When is enough, ENOUGH?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by RAE RAE 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    RAE
    RAE
    Swirly Moderator
      Send PM

Most of us use A LOT of stuff on our pages. From layers to embellies to mixed media techniques, these pages get thick, and there are a lot to most of them. When do you decide enough is enough, and deem your pages and projects finished?

luv46kdz
      luv46kdz
      Swirly Scrapper
        Send PM

It is a feeling I just get when I look at my lo. I’ll be honest cas is not me, I can appreciate it from great artists like Joann Baine and it’s inspired me to want to try it. I love layers and texture and lots of embellies glitter and sparkle. It’s a balance like Di Garling. I add and move pieces till it all falls into place and that little feeling in my tummy says yes ???

droopidog
        droopidog
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

It’s truly hard to quantify what done is. It’s an idea I have in my head, and guess if I get close to that image then it’s enough.

I don’t like the overly done mixed media pages and I’m not a clean and simple girl. If my page falls somewhere in the middle and I am happy with the look of it, then it’s done.

Kim
          My Blog: http://droopidog.typepad.com/my_life_up_close_and_pers/

"Puff, Puff, Pass"
          http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x407/droopido

msjan1
          msjan1
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

Hmmm…depends on the look I’m going for. Or, what I have left of a kit or what picture I’m scrapping. As the other ladies have said, you know when it’s enough by the look/balance. There’s a difference between a beautifully embellished page and a busy mess.

luv46kdz
            luv46kdz
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

Exactly Jan! Like my beach page for rr. In a million yrs I’d never have thought it would work, but man it just flowed and looks balanced and together.

I just did a lo for a music and a hoard challenge at scrapbook.com and it’s a perfect example of moving and placing and rearranging till it clicks. It’s not what I originally pictured in my head, hence the stencil being pretty much covered by the pics but it worked and a lot is going on.

Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              Angelica
              Angelica
              Swirly Scrapper
                Send PM

Definitely balance.

droopidog
                droopidog
                Swirly Admin
                  Send PM

That’s a cool layout Paula. Love the black and white.

Kim
                  My Blog: http://droopidog.typepad.com/my_life_up_close_and_pers/

"Puff, Puff, Pass"
                  http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x407/droopido

Merrihew
                  Merrihew
                  Swirly Scrapper
                    Send PM

I always try to keep the emphasis on the photos, so if they start looking lost, I back up a bit. I almost always end up taking stuff off of my LO’s before I am truly happy with them.

luv46kdz
                    luv46kdz
                    Swirly Scrapper
                      Send PM

Thx Kim ?

talkis
                      talkis
                      Swirly Scrapper
                        Send PM

I always go by feel and when I stopped I like the result. by cons I love to layer after layer.

Krissy
                        Krissy
                        Swirly Admin
                          Send PM

I don’t think there are any hard and fast rules… I personally believe that the tiny little details in a page can really pull it together. The operative word being “TINY”. Once my layout/project is balanced, and looks right to ME… I’ll then go back over it looking for opportunities to fill in with TINY details. Maybe a few little pearls or rhinestones, or some stitching..

I think a lot of people have begun to make the focus of their project the embellishment, or the mediums, or the techniques. NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The FOCUS is supposed to be the SUBJECT! ie – the photo(s), the STORY. When there is so much BLECHY MESS all over a layout, it completely takes away from the reason you created the layout in the first place. Just my opinion! =o)

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

RAE
                          RAE
                          Swirly Moderator
                            Send PM

My main goal is to always keep the focus on the picture, and sometimes pictures! Everything else is just an accent, and I don’t want those details to be getting more of the spotlight than the picture. I do enjoy playing with mediums and working on techniques, of course, and I love flowers and other embellishments, but I think it’s easy for it to turn into a hot mess if you are trying to incorporate too many things in one layout.

And, it also depends on my picture- if the picture has multiple people and lots details, I try to go easy on adding a bunch of colors and using busy patterns so the picture doesn’t blend in too much. I guess that’s why I love closeups of my kids- those pictures give me lots of opportunity to add more stuff! πŸ™‚

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.