This topic contains 81 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  craftysprinkles 3 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)
  • Author

I have been looking at maps to see where people live, and I can't believe how widespread we are. Would everybody be willing to describe your area and maybe post a photo?

craftysprinkles
    Swirly Scrapper
      Send PM

Sounds fun to me!!!!

Snagg1
        Send PM

Sure!

Snagg1
          Send PM

Sure! I love my little town of Redlands Ca 🙂 It's about 50 minutes west of Palm Springs. It was founded by Mid-Westeers and East Coasters who came here to winter. They built huge homes like the ones they lived in, colonial, Victorian, Greek Revival, Dutch, not the typical Spanish or Mediterranean style usually associated with so cali. When we discovered this town in 93 or 4 I knew hook or by crook I'd have me one of em and in 2005 that dream came true and I love living here. During the summer we have the Redlands Bowl a free music festival –
          http://redlandsbowl.org

It's one of my favorite things about this town. This pic is of quaint downtown where every Thursday the street is closed for about 5 blocks so Market night can take place, fruits, veggies, flowers, clothes, candles. You name it, people come and sell it.

[img:width=461&height=346]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1405100803_2893_FT244350_image.jpg[/img]

craftysprinkles
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

I don't have a picture, but I live in what's referred to as Central New Jersey.
            I'm a short (less than 30 minutes without traffic) drive from the shore and a short (ditto) drive from Staten Island.
            I can drive to Philadelphia in about an hour; to get to the REAL city (aka New York), I drive about 15 – 20 minutes to a parking garage attached to NJ Transit and catch a train that will get me there in under 30 minutes. OR, I can take a bus in; that's a longer travel time, but a bit more convenient.

We're sort of sprawling suburbia here; small towns surrounded by developments on what used to be farms. There are a few of those left, but I'm afraid that they're getting fewer and fewer.

My town (Sayreville)'s claim to fame is Jon BonJovi, bo and raised here.
            Bruce Springsteen is from Freehold, about 10 miles south of me.

I'll be the first to admit that the climate leaves a lot to be desired – sultry summers and cold, damp winters – but I'm one of those who needs the change of seasons.

As I mentioned in other forums, I'm originally from Weste New York. Le Roy is a small town located between Rochester and Buffalo. I'll post a picture…

[img:width=600&height=450]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1405110516_36_FT244350_le_roy_2003_022_.jpg[/img]

That's the view of Oatka Creek with Main Street in the background.

craftysprinkles
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

BTW, Sue, thanks!!!! This is a great idea!!!

I grew up in Pocatello, Idaho, but always wanted to be a city girl. Our phone book was so little–I wanted a big phone book with lots of choices. In 1986, I got sick of winter and moved to Miami, FL, and got my big phone book. When I retired in 2009, I was ready to go back to a little phone book, where you don't have to try to find something close enough that you don't have to sit for hours in traffic. One son hated the heat in FL and had moved to Tacoma, WA, and my other son was in Miami, so I could go anywhere I wanted. For various reasons, I decided to stay in FL, but moved north to Crawfordville, a little town of about 20,000 15 miles south of Tallahassee. We're about 20 minutes from the Gulf of Mexico and about 1 1/2 hour from the Georgia border. Southeast of us is the St. Marks Wildlife Refuge, and west of us is the Apalachicola National Forest. We have hot summers and mild winters, with a lot of greenery that can only be found in this area. The photo is my funky little 1954 house with the azaleas blooming this spring. We have dirt roads and leave lawns natural, not using fertilizers or pesticides. We just basically mow the weeds.

This is a very crafty area, with lots of weaving, basketry, knitting, pottery, etc.
              [img:width=500&height=375]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1405118275_2757_FT244350_april_009a.jpg[/img]

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

Sure! I love my little town of Redlands Ca 🙂 It's about 50 minutes west of Palm Springs. It was founded by Mid-Westeers and East Coasters who came here to winter. They built huge homes like the ones they lived in, colonial, Victorian, Greek Revival, Dutch, not the typical Spanish or Mediterranean style usually associated with so cali. When we discovered this town in 93 or 4 I knew hook or by crook I'd have me one of em and in 2005 that dream came true and I love living here. During the summer we have the Redlands Bowl a free music festival –
                [url url=hyperlink url]http://redlandsbowl.org[/url]

It's one of my favorite things about this town. This pic is of quaint downtown where every Thursday the street is closed for about 5 blocks so Market night can take place, fruits, veggies, flowers, clothes, candles. You name it, people come and sell it.

[img:width=461&height=346]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1405100803_2893_FT244350_image.jpg[/img]

That looks so very lovely and definitely not what I think of as southe Cal.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
                Krissy
                Swirly Admin
                  Send PM

I don't have a picture, but I live in what's referred to as Central New Jersey.
                  I'm a short (less than 30 minutes without traffic) drive from the shore and a short (ditto) drive from Staten Island.
                  I can drive to Philadelphia in about an hour; to get to the REAL city (aka New York), I drive about 15 – 20 minutes to a parking garage attached to NJ Transit and catch a train that will get me there in under 30 minutes. OR, I can take a bus in; that's a longer travel time, but a bit more convenient.

We're sort of sprawling suburbia here; small towns surrounded by developments on what used to be farms. There are a few of those left, but I'm afraid that they're getting fewer and fewer.

My town (Sayreville)'s claim to fame is Jon BonJovi, bo and raised here.
                  Bruce Springsteen is from Freehold, about 10 miles south of me.

I'll be the first to admit that the climate leaves a lot to be desired – sultry summers and cold, damp winters – but I'm one of those who needs the change of seasons.

As I mentioned in other forums, I'm originally from Weste New York. Le Roy is a small town located between Rochester and Buffalo. I'll post a picture…

[url url=/wp-content/uploads/2014/1405110516_36_FT244350_le_roy_2003_022.jpg][img:width=600&height=450]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1405110516_36_FT244350_le_roy_2003_022_.jpg[/img][/url]

That's the view of Oatka Creek with Main Street in the background.

Wow that is sure picturesque!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
                  Krissy
                  Swirly Admin
                    Send PM

I grew up in Pocatello, Idaho, but always wanted to be a city girl. Our phone book was so little–I wanted a big phone book with lots of choices. In 1986, I got sick of winter and moved to Miami, FL, and got my big phone book. When I retired in 2009, I was ready to go back to a little phone book, where you don't have to try to find something close enough that you don't have to sit for hours in traffic. One son hated the heat in FL and had moved to Tacoma, WA, and my other son was in Miami, so I could go anywhere I wanted. For various reasons, I decided to stay in FL, but moved north to Crawfordville, a little town of about 20,000 15 miles south of Tallahassee. We're about 20 minutes from the Gulf of Mexico and about 1 1/2 hour from the Georgia border. Southeast of us is the St. Marks Wildlife Refuge, and west of us is the Apalachicola National Forest. We have hot summers and mild winters, with a lot of greenery that can only be found in this area. The photo is my funky little 1954 house with the azaleas blooming this spring. We have dirt roads and leave lawns natural, not using fertilizers or pesticides. We just basically mow the weeds.

This is a very crafty area, with lots of weaving, basketry, knitting, pottery, etc.
                    [img:width=500&height=375]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1405118275_2757_FT244350_april_009a.jpg[/img]

That is a nice area of Florida, so not like south Florida where I lived for 14 years.

Krissy
                    Krissy
                    Swirly Admin
                      Send PM

Currently I live smack dab in the middle of tobacco country and that is my heritage. My grandparents on both sides were tobacco farmers. These days we still grow tobacco around here but not like when I was a child. Now our county is a top sweet potato producer. We also grow cotton, co, soy beans and cucumbers.

As some of you know, my Dad was in the Army and I grew up all over the world but NC is home. I left here when I was 19 and didn't come back until 2008, when we semi-retired – and we are fully retired now. My favorite place in the world is Alaska where we lived for 5 1/2 years.

Here is our house. We are in country surburbia, LOL. We are in a small development in the country. All the lots are at least an acre and we are surround by woods or farm fields. Town is just 8 miles away. I took this photo our first spring after we had done all the landscaping that you see. WOW, kind of interesting to see how much it has grown!

[img:width=600&height=397]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1405122695_312_FT244350_rsz_img_1844_copy_.jpg[/img]

And I have to share our house in Alaska, quite a contrast eh?

Krissy
                      Krissy
                      Swirly Admin
                        Send PM

Oh Paula I love the picture, small towns are the best! I'd be very happy living there.

Peggy that would be very cool to be able to visit New York and see all the cool things there in such a short distance to drive. The picture of the other town is so pretty, look like a great place to grow up.

Sue it's funny how when you're a kid you want to live in the big city and enjoy all that a big city has to offer and then you grow up and suddenly you change and yea for a small town and simple life. I love your house and how great that it's such a crafty area to live!

Maggi your home is so pretty and your home in Alaska reminds me of some of the homes up in Whistler (where the 2010 winter olympics skiing was held). A bunch of us would rent homes up in Whistler during the winter and share the rent so we could go skiing all winter. Alaska must have been amazing but I don't think I could handle the cold.

Krissy
                        Krissy
                        Swirly Admin
                          Send PM

I grew up in Richmond, BC which is a suburb of Vancouver, BC (Richmond is actiually where the Vancouver Inteational airport is). When I was a kid it was a small town but over the years it grew into a big metropolis and that small town feeling just disappeared. When we left, 9 years ago, Richmond had a population of 175,000. Now we live in Campbell River, BC on Vancouver Island. Our claim to fame is being the Salmon Capital of the World, we have so many Americans that come here in the summer for fishing it's crazy. We have a population of about 35,000 and it's so beautiful here, we are on the east coast of them island, our home is about 5 minutes from the ocean with beautiful scenery, bald eagles flying, Orca whales that go by, along with other sealife. We're 20 minutes from numerous lakes. When we go campingbit will feel like we're hundredsm of kiles from the city but if we run out of anything (such as the all important beer and other beverages) we just have to drive 15 or 20 minutes and we're back in town. I'm on my laptop so I'll try & post some photos whne I am back on my big computer tomorrow.

Krissy
                          Krissy
                          Swirly Admin
                            Send PM

Oh gosh Steph, its sounds like you've got a real slice of heaven where you live!

Krissy
                            Krissy
                            Swirly Admin
                              Send PM

I love this idea. Hubby is making me go shovel mulch onto the front garden with him, but when I'm done I will come back and post!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.