Home Forums Tutorials, Tips, Tricks and Techniques Tips, Tricks & Techniques Zutter Distrezz-it-all maintenance tip

This topic contains 20 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Krissy Krissy 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

OK so I use this tool on almost every project and thought mine was done (funny noise, heating up and not running as fast/sharp). I immediately thought the motor was dying on me. Well thanks to an electrician friend who took the back off to take a look (before I bought a new one) — it seems that cleaning out the little paper compartment is not good enough. Sometimes the gears are gummed up with paper inside and just needs to be unblocked with tweezers. The back comes off really easy – just a few little screws. Now it works like new again!

Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

I clean mine out after every use.

You not only clean the paper compartment trap… but also unscrew the back off to clean the actual gears every time?

Thanks for the tip, Vicky!

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

[quote]

You not only clean the paper compartment trap… but also unscrew the back off to clean the actual gears every time?
        [/quote]
        I don't completely open it, but I do grab all visible scraps with tweezers.

craftysprinkles
        Swirly Scrapper
          Send PM

So do I. And I use a wire to push out any of the stragglers. I guess (hope) that's enough, anyway, so far it seems to work fine.
          Watch, I probably just jinxed myself. 🙁 (

OK I feel stupid now, LMAO – and here I thought emptying the back was all I had to do LOL.

Snagg1
            Send PM

So do I. And I use a wire to push out any of the stragglers. I guess (hope) that's enough, anyway, so far it seems to work fine.
            Watch, I probably just jinxed myself. 🙁 (

Don't electrocute yourself before camp guys!

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

Oh Vicky I have only cleaned out the back. I'm glad you posted this. Thanks for the tip!!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

Oh Vicky I have only cleaned out the back. I'm glad you posted this. Thanks for the tip!!

Ditto !!!!

Yet another reason I don't own this product.

It is my SINGLE MOST FAVE tool in all of my entire scrap stash. I use it on almost EVERY project. I just need to clean it out properly at least once a year, LOL. I've been running it for 2 years without cleaning out the gears – which takes a whole 10 minutes at the most. Silly me!

Krissy
                Krissy
                Swirly Admin
                  Send PM

I haven't used mine since moving to WA a year and a half ago. Come to think of it…..I don't know where it's at…lol! Gotta look for it!! Thanks for the tip, Vicky! I wouldn't have thought to take off the back.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

[quote]

It is my SINGLE MOST FAVE tool in all of my entire scrap stash. I use it on almost EVERY project. I just need to clean it out properly at least once a year, LOL. I've been running it for 2 years without cleaning out the gears – which takes a whole 10 minutes at the most. Silly me!
                  [/quote]
                  I use mine quite often. At the retreat I just went to, everyone at my table was using it. We were really good about dumping it out every time, but I will have to go in a clean it out with tweezers. I just didn't know about that!

There was one at one of the camps…I think the first one…I knew then that I wouldn't use it. But hey, everyone prefers different methods!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.