This topic contains 87 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  GlitterGirl 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 89 total)
  • Author

Now that you have leaed the basics let's take it one step further.

product list:
    canvas ( I used an 8 x 8 )
    mask ( I used tattered angels one)
    Gesso – brushes/spatula – buttons – twine – lace – paper doily (3.5 inch) mists – distress stains or inks – clear embossing ink – perfect pearls (the color you like) flowers – embellies -heat tool – hot glue gun.

1-1.jpg

First you start with a blanc canvas. This one is 8×8

2-1.jpg

Take a Tattered Angels mask, a big blob of Gesso and a brush.

3-1.jpg

Lay, only the half part of your mask at the bottom left. I placed a Stazon pad undeeath the other half to stabilize the mask.

4-1.jpg

First dab, with your brush, around the outlines of your mask, to let the Gesso fade a little into the canvas and make it a little smoother. Then add a thick layer of Gesso to the inner part, I used my spatula for it. Carefully lift your mask of your canvas. Clean your mask right away.

5-1.jpg

Place your mask to the top right of the canvas, as shown in the picture.

6-1.jpg

Again, follow the same instructions as above. Starting with dabbing around the mask with your brush. I did this in 2 pieces. First I started with the bottom part of the mask, then worked my way up.

7.jpg

I equalized the Gesso by wiping slightly over it with a scrap of cardstock.

8-1.jpg

Carefully lift off your mask.

***We use the Gesso in 2 different ways , so far. As a molding paste by stenciling it, and as a resist medium, which will be more obvious later on in this tutorial.***

9-1.jpg

Get a nice big blob of Gesso onto your canvas in the left top coer.

10-1.jpg

Spread it out. I doesn’t have to be perfectly flat, cause we NEED some texture!!!

11-1.jpg

Get out some buttons, and press them in the still wet Gesso, till you have something like this:

12-1.jpg

Cool huh?!!!!

13-1.jpg

Get some twine out and cut it in various length.

14-1.jpg

Get a little blob of Gesso onto your craftsheet and a scrap of cardstock.

15-1.jpg

Get your scrap of cardstock, dab into the blob of Gesso that is on your craftsheet and dab it onto your canvas, in the right bottom coer.

16-1.jpg

Something like this.

17-1.jpg

Press your pieces of twine in the, still wet, Gesso. Make sure the twine really touches the Gesso. Or it will fell of later.

18-1.jpg

Get a piece of lace.

19-1.jpg

Add a medium thick stripe of Gesso onto your canvas. I used my spatula to bring it on.

20-1.jpg

Carefully bring your lace on, by giving it a little pressure with your fingers. Work it to the Gesso.

***As you can see… we can also use Gesso as an (textured) adhesive. ***

21-1.jpg

Take a regular 3.5 inch doily and cut it in half.

22-1.jpg

Paint one side with Gesso . Heat dry your doily.

23-1.jpg

Paint the other side with Gesso. Get it a nice and even coat, and place it (while still wet) at the top right coer. Let it overlap the coer a bit.

24-1.jpg

Get a damp piece of foam and press (carefully) your doily to your canvas. Fold to the sides of the canvas as well and again, press carefully with your damp piece of foam, the doily onto your canvas. Till it looks something like this:

25-1.jpg

***This will be another part of the resist technique***

26-1.jpg

Now comes the HARDEST PART…………
    We have to be patient and Let this dry oveight.

Did everyone sleep well???

Pull out your Mist’s, Distress Stain’s, or Distress inks and your heatgun.
    I worked with a 3 color palette. I used, Bundle Sage-Vintage photo and Broken China.
    Work your colors onto your canvas, until you are happy with the result. Then take a damp cloth and start dabbing over the Gesso parts. You will lift the inks off of it, cause the Gesso resist your inks. How fun is that!!!

27-1.jpg

Of course you can leave it this way or you can give it even more interest, and start playing with some perfect pearls, or Shimmer paints. I choose to give the gesso images a layer of perfect pearls.

28.jpg

Take your embossing ink pad and wipe it slightly over the raised areas, then take some perfect pearls, in the color you like, and add it to the inked parts. Work it all over the image. Till you have something like this:

29.jpg
    30.jpg

Brush the extra, perfect pearls off. Repeat that same step for the larger image till you are happy with the result.

31.jpg

When you are happy with the way it looks, then you are ready to start embellishing. This can be anything. Stamping, stitching, flowers etc. It totally depends on what YOU WANT!!!!

finished.jpg

Here’s my finished canvas. I glued everything down with my hot glue gun.

close1.jpg

Here are some close up’s

close2.jpg
    close4.jpg

I printed and cut out one of Lisa’s butterflies and covered them with diamond dust.

close5.jpg

I colored this original white Prima flower with distress stains.

close6.jpg

I hope that I brought you some ideas about how to use Gesso.

Snagg1
      Send PM

This is outstanding!! OMGoodness Paulien. I'm speechless!

Oh My!!! This is gorgeous, Paulien! Thanks so much for sharing these techniques with us!

Snagg1
        Send PM

Paulien this is so gorgeous. Your tut is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Stunning Pauilen..Simply a wonderful tutorial!!!!

Paulien, that is such a great tutorial. I saw this tonight and it just made me really want to play. So, thanks to you I have been in my craft room and I have a canvas project underway. It's such fun playing with the masks and textures.

I am blogging my progress, so you have inspired me twice over…once to get crafting and two to update my blog. Lol. I can only hope that I am as happy with mine as I am impressed by yours.

Is it sad that I had everything I needed for this just sitting there waiting to be used?

The crafter's on this site are so very inspiring.

craftysprinkles
        Swirly Scrapper
          Send PM

Oh my goodness, Paulien!!!!! This is absolutely stunning!!!!! And your tutorial is perfect!!!! Thanks so very much!!!!

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

Paulien what an awesome tutorial!! You have really inspired me to play!!!

craftysprinkles
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

Your canvas is beautiful. Thanks for sharing how very versatile Gesso is.

I have NEVER even wanted to work on a canvas until now!!! That piece of art is stunningly beautiful. I've got to try this. I also looked at your blog and bought some materials to use to make a tag. It was stunning also. Thanks so much for sharing!

You are very welcome ladies. Thanks for your sweet words. And please…. post your projects in the Gallery…. cause we would love them to see.

OK..Finally pulled out my Texture Paste and stencils…sneak peak of part of a LO with Septembers kit..Thanks Paulien for the inspiration!!

[img:width=600&height=903]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1316550284_55_FT119579_dsc_4518_.jpg[/img]

Snagg1
                Send PM

OK is texture paste different than Gesso?

OK..Finally pulled out my Texture Paste and stencils…sneak peak of part of a LO with Septembers kit..Thanks Paulien for the inspiration!!

[url url=/wp-content/uploads/2014/1316550284_55_FT119579_dsc_4518.jpg][img:width=600&height=903]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1316550284_55_FT119579_dsc_4518_.jpg[/img][/url]

Oh Lisa…. that looks sooooo Beautiful!!!!!!!!

I was just thinking….. can you picture it, of pooring some flower-soft in the wet medium???
                I think that would look so cool. Okay… note to self…. I NEED flower soft or something that looks like velvet.

Snagg1
                  Send PM

OK is texture paste different than Gesso?

Yes it is Connie. I'm actually working on a 101 for texture paste. It's basic differences; texture paste isn't as wet and it doesn't act as a resist. After it dries you can paint it and ink it or whatever and it will take the color. Gesso has some resisting properties to it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.