Home Forums Scrap Chat SQOTW 4/27/15 SQOTW – Die cutting

This topic contains 18 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Willea Willea 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Paulien
    Paulien
    Swirly Moderator
      Send PM

I was wondering….. A lot of us use dies. Flowers, leaves, vines, frames, flourishes etc. Do you cut them whilst you are working on a project or do you cut a bunch to have on hand whenever you need them?

droopidog
      droopidog
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

I cut mine when working on a project. Sometimes when I’m doing that I will cut a few extra, but I don’t have a stash of die cut shapes.

Kim
        My Blog: http://droopidog.typepad.com/my_life_up_close_and_pers/

"Puff, Puff, Pass"
        http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x407/droopido

Merrihew
        Merrihew
        Swirly Scrapper
          Send PM

I cut mine while I am working on a project.

Kathi
          Kathi
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

I usually cut mine while working on a project. If I’m going to scrappy camp or a crop I will cut extras

take time to smell the roses

Peggy
            Peggy
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

I cut mine as needed, mainly because I usually make it all up as I go along, rather than preplan a design.
              I have cut extras of some of my favorite leaves and swirlys and flowers and put them aside for “later”, and then I usually forget that I did.

A clean house is the sign of a lazy scrapper.

Paulien
              Paulien
              Swirly Moderator
                Send PM

I really admire that! I don’t have the patience for that. I do pre-cutting. Definitely on leaves. I find it so time consuming to set up the vagabond and diecut whilst working on a project. If I want to use diecut leaves I need to be able to grab them right away. If I run out on a certain diecut… I avoid to setup the vagabond and cut. So every once in a while I plan a day and diecut for hours.

droopidog
                droopidog
                Swirly Admin
                  Send PM

I really admire that! I don’t have the patience for that. I do pre-cutting. Definitely on leaves. I find it so time consuming to set up the vagabond and diecut whilst working on a project. If I want to use diecut leaves I need to be able to grab them right away. If I run out on a certain diecut… I avoid to setup the vagabond and cut. So every once in a while I plan a day and diecut for hours.

<hr>

<span id=”quote-reply-257792″ style=”display: none;”>Paulien</span>Quote

I should do this on days I want to be crafty, but have no mojo.

Kim
                  My Blog: http://droopidog.typepad.com/my_life_up_close_and_pers/

"Puff, Puff, Pass"
                  http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x407/droopido

Peggy
                  Peggy
                  Swirly Scrapper
                    Send PM

Right? that’s a great idea, Paulien!!!!

RAE
                    RAE
                    Swirly Moderator
                      Send PM

I never cut anything just to cut it, unless I get a new die and want to see how it looks, or I’m not sure what color I want of a cut and make a couple of different colors. I have my Vagabond set up, ready for action, so it is easy to just scoot over and cut when I need to. I’m getting three new dies in the mail today, so I’m sure I’ll make a few tonight. πŸ™‚

msjan1
                      msjan1
                      Swirly Scrapper
                        Send PM

Cut as I need. I leave my diecutting machine and Cricut out so that I will use them, rather than groan about having to get them out and set them up.

Maggi43
                        Maggi43
                        Swirly Scrapper
                          Send PM

I precut leaves and vines that I frequently use so they are ready to go when I want them. I don’t like to stop in the middle of a project and diecut and color them even though my Vagabond is always ready to go. Most everything else I diecut as needed although I do have a small stash of precut stuff that are leftovers, things I didn’t use etc.

Peggy
                          Peggy
                          Swirly Scrapper
                            Send PM

My machines are out, too. The last time that I rearranged my space, I made sure that I left countertop room for both of them. No more

Cut as I need. I leave my diecutting machine and Cricut out so that I will use them, rather than groan about having to get them out and set them up.

<hr>

<span id=”quote-reply-374923″ style=”display: none;”>msjan1</span>Quote

My machines are out, too. The last time that I rearranged my space, I made sure that I left countertop room for both of them. No more of the groaning and I do find that I use both the Vagabond and the Cameo a lot more often.
                            Now, if I could only figure out a way to keep my sewing machine up and out…

Paulien
                            Paulien
                            Swirly Moderator
                              Send PM

I think it is a great idea, to have the machines out and ready to go on your counter.
                              It is just that I NEED that extra space to craft. Especially when I’m working with the kit, things are spread out all over my (little) room…. You should see it.. you’d probably shake your head. lol

Peggy
                              Peggy
                              Swirly Scrapper
                                Send PM

No, I wouldn’t, Paulien.
                                Those who have had the pleasure of scrapping with me will tell you that I, too, seem to need a LOT of room πŸ™‚
                                What saves me is this: With just DS and me living here and both of us on different work schedules, we really don’t need a separate dining room for meals. That leaves me with a full sized room built for a table, chairs and a cabinet or two and I’ve taken full advantage of all of the wall space with a lot of shelving and cubes and resulting flat surfaces.
                                Soooo, I do have space for a lot of storage with the center of the room used for a nice, large scrappy space.
                                Of course, having company over to eat presents some problems. I need to set up a portable table and chairs in the living room when there’s more than six of us.
                                But scrapping is more important, right? πŸ˜‰

Paulien
                                Paulien
                                Swirly Moderator
                                  Send PM

He hee… that sounds like (most of the time) you have plenty of room. Kees would kick my butt if I bring it down stairs into our living room. He can’t stand mess!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.