Home Forums Scrap Chat SQOTW 4/7/2014: Paper Layering Tips

This topic contains 19 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Snagg1 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

craftysprinkles
    Swirly Scrapper
      Send PM

What tips do have for making paper layers on your projects? I know a lot of people struggle with mixing up the pattes and sizes. What helps you make these big decisions?

craftysprinkles
      Swirly Scrapper
        Send PM

For me, it varies. Using sketches helps. Once a piece of paper is cut, I try to use the rest, so the sizes of my layers are sometimes dependent on that. With mixing papers, I don't stress about that. Most of the time I try to alteate light and dark colors, if it fits the design and color scheme.

craftysprinkles
        Swirly Scrapper
          Send PM

I really have trouble with it…in the last RR I followed Erica…I just couldn't do it and started over…nothing looked right and I cut up to much of my yummy paper…

I have several sketches saved just because I love how they are layered! I go to those a lot! Sometimes, after I have made a couple of projects with a kit, I just dump out all the scraps on the table and create a LO using the scraps as my layers. I really enjoy doing that and it almost always works great!

Snagg1
            Send PM

I love to layer! I don't know that I have a formula-it takes forever sometimes mixing and matching til I find the aha moment !lol

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

I love the layered look but have a hard time doing it right, that's when I usually tu to others to see how they've done theirs.

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

I love to layer and do basically what Rae does just try mix ing different papers until the right combo jumps out. If I'm going to use Round the Page punches I have templates made that let see what sizes will work.

craftysprinkles
                Swirly Scrapper
                  Send PM

Me too- I find having templates of various sizes of papers is very handy when planning out a layout. I have made them in circles and straight shapes out of black and white cardstock.

Sketches and pictures of other peoples layouts that are well layered. Then I lay pieces again teach other to make sure I like the color, shape combo, which does take awhile…

I love layering paper, but it takes me forever to decide on which papers I want to use! So frustrating at times! Now if it could figure out how to layer with tags I'd be a happy camper!

Krissy
                  Krissy
                  Swirly Admin
                    Send PM

I use lots of layers. I find that layering a small patte next to a busy patte works well. Sometimes I will mixed a layer of sold cs to offset a busy patte. I often mat my photo on plain CS so that it doesn't get swallowed up by the pattes

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

craftysprinkles
                    Swirly Scrapper
                      Send PM

That's a good tip, Maggi. I do that too- matting a pic with cs or less busy paper really helps.

I also let my photo guide me- if the photo is busy, I try not to put busy pattes on the page, or at least keep them to a minimum.

When I'm layering, I find that not glueing down the entire photograph..either using glue dots or a piece of cardboard to lift it higher than the paper.. (makes sense?) helps me when layering. That way I'm able to tuck stuff undeeath the photograph. Whether it be papers or small flowers and even lace, I'm constantly tucking little things behind the photograph.

craftysprinkles
                      Swirly Scrapper
                        Send PM

Thank you, Erica! That is very helpful. I like to do that, especially lately- I used to wait to glue stuff down until I had the entire layout planned, but I don't anymore. I just start gluing down when I'm sure of my basic idea, but it's helpful to give yourself some tucking room. 🙂

craftysprinkles
                        Swirly Scrapper
                          Send PM

Erica, that's a great idea!!!!
                          I'm not great at preplanning for the most part; I just play around like you all do until I hit that aha moment.
                          I'll admit to trying to use up my scraps in my layers, trying combinations of both sides of each sheet of paper.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.