Home Forums Scrap Chat SQOTW 6/2/14 Mixed Media?

This topic contains 31 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Krissy Krissy 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

OK ladies, here is the question for this week.

Mixed Media, do you love it or hate it? If you love it what is your favorite thing to do with it? If you hate it, why?
      Also, do you think it is taken too far?

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

Me, I love mixed media, I put that on almost everything. My favorite thing to do is masking with molding paste or embossing paste.

However, I just tried masking with gloss gel medium and then using mist and things to highlight the masking.

IMHO, I have seen some projects where it just looks like paints and mist and things just thrown on the page with no rhyme or reason. I do love the look of MM, I just think it needs to be a cohesive look, not just messy.

craftysprinkles
        Swirly Scrapper
          Send PM

I love mixed media too!!! So fun to get lost in a project and just see what happens. So much more interesting and creative. My Fave thing to do is put gesso around the photo and extend the look of it…or masking with modeling paste is so fun…I have a lot to lea but I like that. Maggi's challenge will be fun…can't wait to see what everyone does!

I love Mixed Media and use it often. Stencils/masks with gesso or modelling paste, mists, distress inks and other texture pastes and stamps!
          But I don´t like it to messy! I still want it to look organized ;)

I can admire others messy work and pieces of art. And I think it´s great that you can do hovever you like. That´s what´s so inspiering with scrapbooking… even though it might not be scrapbooking anymore ;)

I like doing mixed media on my LO's. My favorite right now is with masks and molding paste. I am also loving playing with the new Prima mists. I have seen some LO's where I feel like the artist got a little carried away. I don't like to have to hunt for the photo! LOL! But, everyone has different tastes and unique styles. That's what makes this such a wonderful hobby!

Snagg1
            Send PM

It's funny you should say this Kim. My hubby is an artist. What he does with pencils and paintbrushes is just amazing. Portraits and the such. He's done the most beautiful murals on our kids walls. I show him pieces like you describe and he says oh just throw up on the page, there ya go. So in answer to your ?, yes I think it can go into overkill. I know art is subjective, but at some point you need to be honest and say this is ridiculous and doesn't have any beautiful qualities to it. Idk if it's because those employing this style are the it people of the industry or what. Well, I probably just shot myself in the foot here, but I'm never one to hold back and I can't pretend to like something just because everyone else does :?

That said, I like mixed media. Masks and pastes are fun to incorporate into your pieces to add texture and dimension. One of my favorite artists who does this so beautifully is Gabrielle Pollacco.

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

Totally agree with you Paula!! There are some currently wildly popular SB artists who just go into total overdrive with mixed media and paint etc etc etc splashed everywhere. It's not my taste. I do enjoy playing with mixed media and it is fun to go nuts now and then as I did with my challenge. I love doing it, but I also love the more traditional type of scrapart. I love an artist who can do it all. Gabi is very good at it, she adds enough MM to make it interesting but not so much that the photos are lost.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

I agree… Sometimes it is just too much. I love the more delicate look.

I enjoy it, but I too feel that it can get to the point of just throwing crap on a page, especailly when someone is DT for a company or pushing their own line of porducts. I'm still working out my personal version of it, so a lot of what I do is simply play to see what will happen. My pages tend to be more simple and less 'stuff', so even when I'm playing with sprays, masks, and glop I tend to stay on the 'less is more' end of things. I have a hard time visualizing what a page will look like before using any stuff on it, so it really is trial and error for me each time. I actually prefer canvases to LOs when using mixed media, probably because they don't buckle and warp like paper does. I have several hanging around the house and my office right now.

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

I have to agree with you all. I love it when it's beautifully done with a light touch and not overboard. I love, love, love patteed paper and with some of the mixed media art I've seen, the beauty of the paper is gone. My favorite way of using mixed media is stenciling with modelling paste. Love the delicate look in the background. Mists are not my favorite. !amazed Which means the RR is going to be a real challenge for me this month! LOL

Krissy
                Krissy
                Swirly Admin
                  Send PM

I have to agree with you all. I love it when it's beautifully done with a light touch and not overboard. I love, love, love patteed paper and with some of the mixed media art I've seen, the beauty of the paper is gone. My favorite way of using mixed media is stenciling with modelling paste. Love the delicate look in the background. Mists are not my favorite. !amazed Which means the RR is going to be a real challenge for me this month! LOL

Linda, just remember when using them, commit to the mist.

craftysprinkles
                  Swirly Scrapper
                    Send PM

I also like mixed media in small doses, if you will. I appreciate what others do who use a lot of it, but for me, I have yet to master adding a lot to my pages without it looking like a hot mess.
                    I love using mists for splatter spots, and I adore using Wendi Vecchi embossing pastes with stencils. I just got the crackled kind- it's the best one yet.

Krissy
                    Krissy
                    Swirly Admin
                      Send PM

[quote]

Linda, just remember when using them, commit to the mist.
                      [/quote]

So linda, you choose a paper you don't like or something that is kinda on the solid side. I used one of the very dark papers from Stationer's Desk, not much patte to be seen so I didn't mind putting stuff all over it! You can even start with a simple sheet of cardstock.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
                      Krissy
                      Swirly Admin
                        Send PM

Some good misting tips! Thank you!! I was gonna take the easy way out and mist my chipboard… 🙁 ( … but I've decided to jump right in, commit to the mist, and use a whole page!!! !amazed

When I read Somerset magazines, I think bleh bleh bleh, it's too much, but then I'm so inspired, I want to make something. There's just something appealing about it, and it is so fun to put goop all over things. I enjoy using modeling paste and stencils, and I'm anxious to try Prima mists. I need to play more and experiment.

I'm going to start making a distinction between scrapbook pages, in which the photo is the focal point and there is joualing, and creative stuff, which is about being creative, expression, and having fun. Some pages are so busy, and there's no title or joualing, which doesn't seem like scrapbooking to me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.