Home Forums Scrap Chat SQOTW 6/30/14 Let's talk Scrapbook Stores

This topic contains 25 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  NanciOgilvie 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

This past week there has been a lot of buzz on social media regarding a certain online scrapbook store/forum closing. I have to admit it was one of the first place I found when I started scrapbooking, but as I grew, the merchandise no longer suited my taste. Then add in infrequent coupons, high shipping, slow shipping, or just no incentives to make purchases.

As for the LSS that were in my area, I found that the stock that they carried didn't appeal to me either. Too cutesy paper, too many sticker, not enough dimensional embellishments. Owners buying what they like, not what the customers wanted. Add in less than desirable customer service (some of them. There was one store that I loved). So eventually the stores closed.

What do you look for in a store (online/brick and mortar) when you are shopping for scrappy supplies? Other than the obvious (bad economy) why do you think some store thrive and others don't?

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

I love for a store that carries a variety of products, mainly embellishment. I tend to gravitate to flowers and bling when I am in a brick and mortar store. I love my 3D embellishments. Oh and don't for get the mixed media stuff, mist, paints and something different to try.

Paper variety is also another must9especaially carrying lines like Prima. G45, etc). I hate it when a store only orders part of a line. I want the entire line, plus any embellishments that go along with it.

When I look at online stores, I tend to look at everything. Reason for this, most of the time I am trying to satisfy a minimum $ for free shipping. I love sites that offer free shipping for a minimum purchase $50-$75 is ideal.

Great customer service is a must. If I have a question about my order or shipping, don't lie to me, because it will eventually come out and you will lose me as a customer. Like I said above, free shipping with a $ minimum purchase will always attract me as well.

I know one of my lss failed because she continued to reorder the same stuff. Firstly, it was stuff she like, not always main stream stuff. Secondly, why reorder it? if we ought it all, who's going to need more of it? Again these are just some of my thoughts.

I order everything online… and when I visit an online shop…

I look for FLOWERS!!! Prima and Petaloo =)

I also like to look at mixed media stuff paints, mists, stencils and stamps.

Papers I want is 7 Dots, Prima, Blue Fe Studios, Kaisercraft and I also want the WHOLE paperline!

Other embellishments I want are wood, resin, bling and chipboard.

I havenΒ΄t yet found a store that has everything ;) but I have a couple that I order from.

I like when the shop has free shipping and fast delivery. And a shop that keeps the latest products that is to be found.

craftysprinkles
        Swirly Scrapper
          Send PM

Unfortunately, my LSS closed in March. I miss it like anything. They carried a full line of Prima, G45, Kaisercraft, Authentique, Glitz, etc along with dies, dies and more dies. Oh, and a wall of Timmy.
          They also held a lot of classes and I leaed a lot from them.

Unfortunately, the economy and the number of people who were more interested in a Project Life type of scrapping combined to cause sales to drop month after month…

I started my online purchase of scrappy supplies about 6 years ago when the local chain craft stores (I didn't know about Scrapper's Cove then) failed to excite me with their stock of basic cutesy.
          I still purchase media there.
          I also like to pop into the big chain hardware stores every once in a while to see if there's anything to excite my imagination.

As for online shopping, I find that my kits supply most of my needs.
          Kathi tued me on to another online store a while back and I love them. Same or next day shipping, along with care that the order is packed to safeguard against damage are a must for me.

Snagg1
            Send PM

I use big box stores for staples like tape runner or inks that I need immediately and always with a coupon. I always see what's on clearance-it kills me to pay full price for anything.I did luck out last week a store had Prima flowers for $1.66 each-I bought them all obviously. I have no local LSS left,sadly. There is a large store in Maine that carries more variety in papers but other than that I shop online,here at Swirly. I do wish there was somewhere local to see the papers IRL.

I usually use one of the box stores for basics, so I can use my coupons. I have 2 local stores and 1 semi local store. One is absolutely awesome, one is ok but has a smaller selection and the final one is further away and never seems to have anything new. Last time I was in, about a min ago, I predicted that they will be closing soon. Sad, but I think likely true.

Online, I like discounted prices, sales and of course, free shipping. Need a large selection too.

Aside from here? There are a couple online places I shop, but lately it's mainly been what comes in Swirly kits. I'm sooo sick of seeing PL & cutesy stuff everywhere lately; I feel like I've time warped back 15 years!

Oh, I order my color shots directly from Lindy's because the company is literally 2 hours away and I get stuff within 1-2 days (instant gratification, you know?).

As for brick & mortar stores I have a decent local craft store (it's part of a PNW chain) that carries a decent amount of scrap supplies, although they tuover could be faster. Also have Joann's & Michael's, bur other than lace & storage stuff I don't buy much from either. I get my double-sided tape in 2 packs from Target.

I shop online usually. The store we had closed about a month ago. I use big box stores for the sales on ink modeling paste stuff like that.

Snagg1
              Send PM

I don't just like my lss I LOVE my lss. She had a home goods store that she closed and now has added some of that to her scrap store too. They carry full lines of all the major paper co's. The one thing she hasn't gotten up to speed with yet is the chippies.

As far as online, I order right from lindy's for my mists, then I just shop around for the best sales price and shipping cost πŸ™‚

Tallahassee has small versions of the 3 big box stores (Michael's, Joann, and Hobby Lobby), but no LSS. There is an awesome stamp store 2 hours away in High Springs. I try to hit one convention a year, because you can find a lot there, and I order on line often. It's best when you can see it and touch it before you buy it, but that's tough to find anymore.

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

I have no LSS and all the box stores are over an hour away. I go there about once every other month. I don't order on line much and get mostly what I need from Swirly Kits.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

What is a box store?

Krissy
                Krissy
                Swirly Admin
                  Send PM

What is a box store?

The chain stores like M's, HL and J's.

Ahh ok…Thanks Kim.

All of them are an hour away. I go when I can but they don't have most of the stuff I like to use. Thats why I love the kits!

Snagg1
                    Send PM

yup,we are spoiled!Last time I was in HL-lots of PL stuff was in the clearance section..just saying

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.