Home Forums Scrap Chat SQOTW 7/116/14 Scrappy organization

This topic contains 26 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  odiammy 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

First Ladies let me apologize for being late posting this.

Now, let's talk scrappy organization. I need to redo some thing in my scrap room. What would be your best scrap organization advice to someone who is planning their dream scrap space?

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

Mine would be to organize your supplies in the way that you work, so you aren't constantly looking for things. Also, to use clear containers if possible so you can see what you have. If not, then label everything.

craftysprinkles
        Swirly Scrapper
          Send PM

I agree with you. I've tried to reorganize several times based on someone else's design that I saw in a mag or online- it never works. I have to have stuff handy. It depends on how your brain works. I remember what I have by manufacturer. For example, I couldn't tell you how many blue mists I have, but I could tell you that I have six TA blue mists, etc. Some people are really happy with having their flowers divided by colors, and that would drive me CRAZY!

craftysprinkles
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

Hmmmmm, well, I'm anal and unable to organize by color.
            So paper is filed by manufacturer and collection and purged once a year so I'm not overwhelmed.
            Flowers are on a Clip It Up, organized like above.
            Stencils, chippies and some packaged embellies are on a monster CIU, as are my mists and some inks.
            Gesso and such are in plastic bins on top of cubes. Below them are the rest of my media, sorted by kind and in (labeled) plastic bins.
            Punches are on shelves, standing so I can see them.
            I keep just about everything else in (labeled) plastic bins, again sorted by kind.
            I have one of those desktop organizers for my tools.
            Oh, yes: ink pads and sizzix dies are stored in organizers that I bought here http://www.stampinthings.com/ and I love them.

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

I tend to organize more by mfg than color, ie my flowers are organized by mfg as are my paper collections. Alot of other stuff is just organized, can't say how but I know where most of it is.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

craftysprinkles
              Swirly Scrapper
                Send PM

I am not very organized, but I plan to be. We are going to buy a house soon, and I plan on a total revamp. Also, I will have a door on my scraproom instead of it being exposed in the loft, which is a nightmare having a very curious three year old running around.

If I were starting from scratch, I'd find me some hunky cake to build wall-to-wall shelves on all four walls, floor to ceiling. Organizing isn't my problem, it's where to put all the bins and books and jars and stuff.

The best advice I can give is to figure out how your mind works when you're looking for something. Do you think manufacturer first? Color first? Group things together by kit? Theme? My area is a mix of all of those. And label the heck out of everything (my OCD coming out here).

I have some patteed papers sorted by theme, some by manufacturer, and some by kit (Swirlydoos!). Cardstock is sorted by color, although I also have those grouped by type (metallic cardstock, TH cardstock, other specialty cardstock). My flowers are all tossed into a couple fabric bins, but I enjoy digging through them to find what I want. Fibers are in gallon baggies by color. Chippies & bling are in a shallow drawer that I can easily flip through. Mixed media stuff is grouped together; mists & sprays are grouped by manufacturer and in a wall unit. Dies are stored by maunfacturer or theme for the most part, such as Christmas/winter, Spellbinders shape dies, or Heartfelt Creations dies. Most products are in a drawer that's clearly labeled, such as Twinks, Distriess stains & paints, embossing powders (also sorted by color & type), Ideaology & Finnabair… you get the idea. I've changed, reorganized and moved things around so many times that it's insane, but I finally (fingers crossed) have it how I want it. We had to replace the flooring in that room a couple months ago, which meant me pulling everything out, so I've changed things around, bought a few more storage cubes, and made it fit my needs better than it had.

I try to be organized… but it always fails =(

But what I can give as advice is that have the things you know you use often close to you!
                I have my papers, tools, flowers, stamps and mediums so I can reach them while I´m sitting and creating.

I can´t organize things by color I go by manufactuter. When working with swirlydoos kits I have the stuff in the box, and when I´ve done my projects with the kit and have some leftovers I put them in with my other stash.
                I keep everything in boxes! So it looks good, but it´s chaos in them =D

I still organize by manufacturers and I have fuiture I bought two large armoire type units and two cube units with 12 cubes. I also keep paper on store type wire racks. I have a clip it up for stencils and drawers for paints, sprays etc.

craftysprinkles
                Swirly Scrapper
                  Send PM

Seriously, I thought that I was the only one who did NOT organize by color; you've all made me feel so much better.

Maja, I agree: tools must be reachable at all times.
                  As for other supplies, I altered a Kaisercraft OTP desk organizer a couple of years ago. I use this to store my current kit. (I got this idea from Rosjen who altered one that she found at IKEA.)

Krissy
                  Krissy
                  Swirly Admin
                    Send PM

Seriously, I thought that I was the only one who did NOT organize by color; you've all made me feel so much better.

Maja, I agree: tools must be reachable at all times.
                    As for other supplies, I altered a Kaisercraft OTP desk organizer a couple of years ago. I use this to store my current kit. (I got this idea from Rosjen who altered one that she found at IKEA.)

I organize by manufacturer too. I can't do the color thing.

craftysprinkles
                    Swirly Scrapper
                      Send PM

And I thought I was the outlier. I suppose that I've felt that way because of all of the articles that I've read insisting that everything be organized according to theme and/or the color wheel.
                      (BTW, my cardstock is a mess; I keep whites and blacks together, the rest is just whatever.)

And I thought I was the outlier. I suppose that I've felt that way because of all of the articles that I've read insisting that everything be organized according to theme and/or the color wheel.
                      (BTW, my cardstock is a mess; I keep whites and blacks together, the rest is just whatever.)

For me it pretty much depends on what it is and how my brain will find it the best. I do have a fair amount of stuff sorted by color, but even with cardstock some is by color and some is by manufacturer or type.

I have a hard time separating families. For example: I have a list of the LSG color shots, checkmarks by the ones I have, and I store them by the packaged set they came in. (yeah, I know…. crazy lady!)

I have my Scrapbox and my EZ view desk and they hold almost all my supplies. I want to get the Paper Tower for Christmas. I have all my drawers labeled, for example one holds my glues, one has Zots in it, one has all my mists, one for inks, etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.