Home Forums Scrap Chat SQOTW 8/21/2012 mixed media

This topic contains 88 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  craftysprinkles 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)
  • Author

Snagg1
      Send PM

What do you think of mixed media scrapbooking?  What are your favorite elements??

When I did my stint over at SNR, my eyes were opened to a ton of different inks and other media.  For instance, I found a love for Gelatos.  I know that Vicky has recently fallen in love with them too.

Admittedly, I haven't dabbled in mixed media too much, mostly because I would probably need a class to jump start that!

The gelatos look cool and I am going to pick up some of those pronto.

I do love the MS clay and fun stuff, but I don't consider that mixed media.

I got my first set of Gelatos yesterday. Love them on fabric, not so much on paper yet.

craftysprinkles
      Swirly Scrapper
        Send PM

I love playing with goop: gesso, texture mediums, acrylic paints, mists, textures…
        I've mentioned before, I couldn't get over the fear of it until I took some IP classes and then realized how much fun it is to play around with it all. I've definitely had some fails, but I've leaed to do a lot of my experimenting in jouals and on canvas. Love canvas: it's pretty forgiving when it comes to do overs.

As far as gelatos, I'm afraid that's somewhere in the future. Right now, I'm on a very tight scrappy diet, maybe next winter…..

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

I love playing with goop: gesso, texture mediums, acrylic paints, mists, textures…
          I've mentioned before, I couldn't get over the fear of it until I took some IP classes and then realized how much fun it is to play around with it all. I've definitely had some fails, but I've leaed to do a lot of my experimenting in jouals and on canvas. Love canvas: it's pretty forgiving when it comes to do overs.

As far as gelatos, I'm afraid that's somewhere in the future. Right now, I'm on a very tight scrappy diet, maybe next winter…..

I'm right here with Peggy. It is fun, just play.

As for gelatos, Krissy, Rae and Shelly have me scared of them. lOL!

craftysprinkles
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

LOL! I still have the two we got in that class. I'll send them to you, Kim!

craftysprinkles
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

I LOVE Mixed Media! I wish I had a load of dough to buy all of the stuff I want to get! I would love to have some of the paints we used in the Anna class, and I want that ferro, and inka gold stuff.
              I recently bought some molding paste, and it's my new favorite thing!

Snagg1
                Send PM

I got my first set of Gelatos yesterday. Love them on fabric, not so much on paper yet.

Where I think Gelatos really shine is when they are used over Mod Podge, or another type of sealant.  The blend so nicely and you can use them to shade and shadow.

Snagg1
                  Send PM

I LOVE Mixed Media! I wish I had a load of dough to buy all of the stuff I want to get! I would love to have some of the paints we used in the Anna class, and I want that ferro, and inka gold stuff. I recently bought some molding paste, and it's my new favorite thing!

you know how much I looooooove molding paste. ;D

craftysprinkles
                  Swirly Scrapper
                    Send PM

I know- you rock at using it, Lisa! I wish I had some stencils that I loved to use with it. I need to look through mine again and play with them. I missed out on a lot of the great Prima ones. It's funny, because when they came out a couple of years ago, it was the one thing that I didn't really think I would use, and now I lament that I didn't just buy them like I do everything else that just sits. 🙂

I love my gelatos and twinkling H2Os for watercoloring and adding a little punch to projects. I've done the scribble and then use a watercolor brush technique and the use a waterbrush to pick up color from the stick technique… works well either way. fabulous on watercolor paper!! You can use them to add highlights to flowers, change the colors of your flowers or paper embellies, use with other mixed media…

By the way, you can find packs of gelatos in the children's craft section at some stores…. they are caleld gel sticks but as long as they are made by Faber-Castell it's the same thing. The kid's set is like $15 for a set of 12, so it's a good deal.

The other thing I've rediscovered a love for recently is my collection of stencil pastes from Dreamweaver. I have several colors as well as translucent and pearl, and they are yummy to play with. They take TA products like a dream! I'm working (slowly) on an art joual, and really feel like i'm still taking baby steps in the mixed media arena, but I'm having fun doing it! ;)

Krissy
                    Krissy
                    Swirly Admin
                      Send PM

I love the look of mixed media and would love to give it a go. Not sure where to start!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

I also LOVE to play with lots of products.
                      Molding paste is something that is high on my list. I can not find it her in the Netherlands. (yet)

Gelato's… would be awesome to give a try. When I saw the bloghop from Faber and Prima… I was convienced (sp) that I need them.

So mixed media seems to be the scrapbooking rage this past year. and we saw a lot of it used at CHA. So, I pulled out my texture paste, Glimmer Mist and started on a LO. I am done with it, I will take pics in the moing and upload to the gallery. Barbara (Scrap2day) was a doll and diecut some brick masks for me. I love them, so I used it with my texture paste. I was at Michaels last month in the clearance section and everything was 80% off. I got 3 tubes of Liquitex texture paste. Each tube was originally 7.99. I grabbed the last 3. I like it better them my Golden texture paste. I see more texture paste in my future.

I love my gelatos and twinkling H2Os for watercoloring and adding a little punch to projects. I've done the scribble and then use a watercolor brush technique and the use a waterbrush to pick up color from the stick technique… works well either way. fabulous on watercolor paper!! You can use them to add highlights to flowers, change the colors of your flowers or paper embellies, use with other mixed media…

By the way, you can find packs of gelatos in the children's craft section at some stores…. they are caleld gel sticks but as long as they are made by Faber-Castell it's the same thing. The kid's set is like $15 for a set of 12, so it's a good deal.

The other thing I've rediscovered a love for recently is my collection of stencil pastes from Dreamweaver. I have several colors as well as translucent and pearl, and they are yummy to play with. They take TA products like a dream! I'm working (slowly) on an art joual, and really feel like i'm still taking baby steps in the mixed media arena, but I'm having fun doing it! ;)

Awesome Monica!!! Great tips there!! I have a tub full of stencils and masks from my Faux painting days. I should check to see if my pastes, glazes and stains are still good.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.