Home Forums Scrap Chat SQOTW 9/9/2013 – Hybrid Scrapbooking?

This topic contains 24 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Snagg1 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Do you ever Hybrid scrapbook? Do you see this as the new wave for scrapbooking? With all the little scrappy shops that have closed in North America in the past 2 years… I am wondering if it is just crummy economical times or if this paper art will slowly start to fade out with each generation? Will it evolve more into mostly digital/hybrid scrapbooking? When I think back it's only 2 generations ago for me (my grandmother) that moms sewed most of their kids clothes, knitted and quilted etc. Now it is rare for us moms to do that. Is scrapbooking heading down a new, less time consuming path? Take for example the whole project life rage – back to basics scrapbooking.

Snagg1
      Send PM

I know a few people who do all digital but it is most definitely not for me. I love all things paper and paint and ink, etc. I've been doing a Smash book and I think there is a place for that but I don't see myself ever giving up all my pretties just to save time. I realize that younger people who have grown up knowing only cell phones and tablets would be especially attracted to digital scrapping because everything in their lives is digital.

craftysprinkles
      Swirly Scrapper
        Send PM

I appreciate digital scrapbooking, but I would never convert to it. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the physical part of scrapbooking, and I think that's what makes it a craft instead of a computer skill. Not to say that digi pages aren't full of creativity. I would never diminish that. It's just different.

I love getting messy with the different mediums and being brave enough to cut my paper, or paint a flower. With digi, you can just erase it and start over. I like correcting/covering up the things I consider to be mistakes, and I love it when my mistakes tu out to be something awesome.

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

It's not for me! I rather pet all the goodies than sit at the computer and move stuff around with a mouse.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Me too! I hate getting square eyes!

craftysprinkles
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

Digital is not for me – first of all, I am technologically challenged and second, I love playing with paper, embellishments, mediums, etc.

I think it's one of those different strokes for different folks things. Some of us get joy simply from getting inky hands, some enjoy the creative freedom of the pixel, some are happy to smash things in a book, some can only manage to get photos in a traditional album, some embrace the Project Life style as givign them some creativity while taking a lot less time than we would take on a page… the beauty of our hobby is that it can encompass all of those! My style won't work for everyone else, your style may not be exactly my cup of tea but it works for you… the individuality is what makes each person's approach uniquely their own.

I have dabbled a bit in digi, mainly to improve/correct/adjust the photos I take, but I would like to create some digi layouts for my MIL and Mom to have in digital frames or as screensavers. Some day….. ;)

And to answer the original question…. hybrid scrapbooking to me isn't any different than printing off clipart to include in a layout. I use it if it fits with what I'm doing.

I've never done digital scrapbooking. I just love the creative process of creating a LO with real paper, inks, mists and lumpy embellishments. I have friends that do all digital, though, and they love it. So, I hope there is room for both styles! I would hate to see one style completely disappear! It's like with books. I still love the feel and smell of books. I love going to a library or Baes and Nobel and hanging out. But, I know LOTS of people who love their Kindles and Nooks, and it is having an effect on the number of book stores. I think technology is great, but sometimes it moves at such a fast pace that it seems like it pushes a lot of good stuff out of it's way!

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

I used hybrid things on a rare occasion for joualing or titlework… or well, actually, for my photobooks.

I love the paper aspect to much, so I create the layouts with paper, then oftentimes after taking the photo – adding joualing or title, and then save that copy of the image in a file on my computer. At the end of the year, I upload all of these images to a place that prints out photobooks – and I make myself books of everything I have created. Its easier to store, and show people. So I suppose that is a hybrid of sorts, but not exactly what you were asking…
              lol.

craftysprinkles
              Swirly Scrapper
                Send PM

I like that idea, Heidi!

Snagg1
                  Send PM

That is a really great idea Heidi. Do you use shutterfly or something like that?

Krissy
                  Krissy
                  Swirly Admin
                    Send PM

Wow! That is a really good idea! A digital scrapbook for your scrapbook pages! COOL!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

craftysprinkles
                    Swirly Scrapper
                      Send PM

I would like to do that- my mom likes to have some of my pages every year- she takes all of my favorites! LOL!

I have done some all digital scrapbooking, but love playing with paper way better. If I had a 12 x 12 printer, I could see printing the photo directly onto a patteed paper, adding some embellies that were printed and then adding dimensional real embellies too.

Krissy
                      Krissy
                      Swirly Admin
                        Send PM

I LOVE the look of digi scrapping and decided I was going to dabble. I spent so much time reading and researching and leaing and then when I finally did it…it was just clicking and dragging. There was nothing creative feeling about it.

I felt like I was at work!!

I stil LOVE the look of digi pages and try to replicate on paper but no…digi is not for me. I'll leave it to others so I can admire.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.