Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Just Stuff a word of warning before you get a flu shot…..

This topic contains 14 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  NanciOgilvie 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

If you get one on an annual basis, then you can ignore the rest of this. If you are thinking about getting one for the first time, then please read this before you get one!

DH got a flu shot Thursday after work;Friday he woke up feeling dizzy and sick to his stomach. We assumed he got a mild strain of the flu, as I have know nthe shot to cause this no matter what it suppoedly doesn't do. Tus out that he had a violent allergic reaction to the shot. My MIL, who is a nurse, was unaware that this runs in his family, but when she commented to FIL he reminded her that he'd had a bad reaction to it years ago. She talked with DH's grandparents after that and it tus out that DH's grandfather also has a bad reaction to a flu shot many years ago. We've determined at this point that it seems to run on the male side of his family. While I was at work on Friday, his temp fluctuated from low 90s to about 103ΒΊ… which he told me AFTER I saw him violently shivering/shaking on Saturday because he was so cold (temp was 96ΒΊ and some hot liquids warmed him up enough to stop shaking). If I'd known sooner that it had spiked that high on Friday, he would have been at the clinic and I would have been all over them to find something to help! I did point out that the primary reason for his very expensive cell phone is to CALL ME when things get bad. His arm broke out in a rash yesterday around the needle area but the rest of his symptoms are better. No violent temperature fluctuations since Saturday moing. He's home from work again, sleeping as much as he can, which seems to be the best thing at this point.

So…. at this point I'd say if you have never gotten a flu shot before… check with your regular doctor first regarding potential allergic reactions. They really need to let first-time people know to be aware of any possible severe allergic reactions on those info sheets, not just the may cause mild this-and-that wording. Me, I'm just going to avoid them all together… 'cause I have medical needle phobias anyway and this didn't help!

WOW! That sucks. I have never had a reaction like that, but I don't like flu shots too much anyway!

I hope he is feeling better.

Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

Oh your poor hubby, I hope he is feeling better.

Several years ago I went in to the doctor to get a flu shot as I worked in Customer Service and people were always coughing all over me. I had to fill out a form talking about all these possible reactions – freaked me out and I ended up not getting one. I do get them now on my doctors recommendation and am lucky not to have anything other than a very sore arm for a couple of days.

If they are no longer waing about possible side effects then they need to relook at that policy I would say.

Snagg1
        Send PM

Oh my! I know that this year's shot also includes the swine flu. Maybe it has something to do with that? Does he have an egg allergy?

We've never had problems likes that. I hope he feels better soon.

He's doing much better today, but opted to stay home and rest rather than go to work. His arm is still really sore and he had zero energy. πŸ™

Lisa, as far as I know he does not have an egg allergy. And we eat a lot of eggs! I'm thinking it is something from the regular flu shot, as it effected both his dad and grandpa at different times in the past. This is yet another good reason to know all of your family's medical history.Silly me assumed that since MIL is a nurse she would have been aware of it prior to this, but it must not have come up since FIL got that one shot years ago, and evidently no one ever asked DH's grandparents about it! SIL has medical needle phobias like I do, so no way would she have done it. Sometimes you have to ask the right questions to trigger the useful answers, KWIM?

Snagg1
          Send PM

Scary. I hope he feels better soon.

His arm is still sore and it has a lovely pink rash, but other than that he's pretty much back to normal. He did have the nerve to tell me last night that he stepped on the scale and has lost another 15 pounds, though. I HATE that men can lose weight so easily! I struggle just to lose ONE pound.

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

Glad he's feeling better!1

Oh my! I know that this year's shot also includes the swine flu. Maybe it has something to do with that? Does he have an egg allergy?

We've never had problems likes that. I hope he feels better soon.

It's not a hangover.
            It's wine flu.

:P

Snagg1
              Send PM

LMAO :P

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

LOL!!!!

Shell – you kill me!

it's not original, i saw it on Pinterest. i get alot of sayings from there.

today's thought of the day:
                Life is Short.
                Smile while you still have teeth!

Me too. I have a board with just quotes. It think a lot of them would make great joualing titles..Something I am very bad at!!

As far as the flu shot is conceed. A lot of people think they get sick from the flu shot. A cold and flu are not the same. A mild form of flu from the shot is highly unlikely…
                BUT..You CAN have an allergy to it as Monica's husband had. I too am allergic to the shot. I develop a bad cellulitis at the injection site for a week or so. I still opt to get the shot as I would NOT like the flu. I treat the cellultis with Motrin and ice/warm packs. My allergy is latex, which is one of the allergies listed. Eggs is another. The symptoms of side effects are:
                mild fever
                muscle aches
                nausea
                headache
                soreness, redness, or swelling at the injection site (flu shot)
                runny nose or congestion (nasal spray flu vaccine)

Glad hubby is feeling better.

So don't be scared to get it. Unless you are allergic, the symptoms out weigh the flu…Believe me I know. the flu can kill.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.