Home Forums Scrap Chat Ask the Designers Acrilyc paint on scrapbooks

This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Krissy Krissy 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

Ive seen some tutorials that use acrylic paint in scrapbooks, is that safe. Im terrified to use anything thats not labeled for scrapbooks. I think Ive seen flower picks and stuff like that on pages that arent marketed for scrapbooks, how do you know whats safe? Im trying to break away from the cm brainwashing that only thier products are safe, but how far do i go?

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Snagg1
        Send PM

Well, I've used acrylic paint and mainly the Ranger line of products. I think, and I could be mistaken, that it stays they are safe for photos.

I haven't had any problems yet. Hope that helps.

craftysprinkles
        Swirly Scrapper
          Send PM

I have used pretty much anything on my layouts but I look at it differently than most. I don't care if it's safe. I scrapbook for myself and although it would be nice if someone cared about my albums 100 years down the road – I'm not going to make sure that everything is still in pristine condition.

Truthfully – I often wonder how photo developers or printers can claim their prints will last 200 years. How do they know this? It's surely not been tested, lol.

I guess I didn't much answer your question, did I? Leave it to me, hehe…

I'm with you Leslie..
          OK, here is the reason for acid and lignin free products…

If you are scrapping for historical reasons, and want to preserve your photographs in pristine condition for many many years, than you must adhere to the acid and lignin free products. Most paper contains acid. This will damage photos over time and cause them to fade. Most papers also contain lignin, a natural component of wood. Lignin will break down and become acidic over time. Therefore, make sure your paper is acid-free and lignin-free for longest photo life. Because the chemicals in those products that are not acid of lignin free break down and degrade the chemicals in photographs and after time they will yellow, become brittle and fade away. If you are scrapping using the actual original photo (not a copy), then I would be sure to use the chemical free products. I think most of us use copies only, and are not so conceed with keeping these LO's for hundreds of years. Today, inks are much more resilient then they use to be. And if you Google the type of paper you use, you will find that it has a very long life despite chemicals that break down photographic paper and ink. So don't worry to much about what you use on your pages. It will last a very long time.

Paint is a staple for me on my scrapbook pages. I hardly do one anymore without it.

craftysprinkles
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

Actually, I never check for archival quality. I just never use the originals, but scan them and make copies. That goes for newspaper clippings, etc. I print them out on really cheap cardstock and ink them up.

I use as many archival products as possible, but it's not written in stone the way CM makes you think. If there is something I want to use then I just go for it!!

craftysprinkles
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

the only thing I worry about is what is actually touching the picture. I make sure the papers I use for matting etc are safe. Other than that, it's pretty much anything goes!

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

I don't check either…the only thing I do is spray newspaper clippings and or things papers that I want preserved somewhat with archival mist….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.