Home Forums Tutorials, Tips, Tricks and Techniques Anatomy of a Layout Anatomy Layout – Artful Blues with Maggi

This topic contains 11 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Krissy Krissy 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

Hi ladies! This kit is so fantastic with its pretty blue and brown papers from Authentique and Kaisercraft papers!

For the build a page tutorial layout this month, I'm using the sketch that came in the kit and I've tued it on the side for my interpretation.

For this layout you will need, from the main kit:
      Kaisercraft's Blue Bay papers Sea Breeze and Paper Lagoon
      Petaloo Botanica gray flowers
      Prima gray felt strip
      Doily
      Bling

From your stash or cardstock addon:
      A sheet of cardstock -one that matches the paper or white
      Scraps to make small flowers and greenery

Optional:
      Mash and masking paste
      White gesso or paint

Here's the finished layout that we're going to build.

[img:width=475&height=477]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1423010693_312_FT0_web-kc-blue-bay-everything-beautiful-brandy-2-15.jpg[/img]

Let's get started.

Step 1:

Take the Kaisercraft Sea Breeze paper and paint it all over with watered down white gesso or paint. I did this to tone down the color a bit and give it a more faded look.

[img:width=500&height=489]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1423010565_312_FT0_1-gesso.jpg[/img]

Step 2:

Now tear an edge off all 4 sides of the paper. Keep the to off edges as we will use it in the next steps. (Note that we are going to mount this page onto cardstock so if you don't want to do that you can skip this step. Instead, you could distress and ink the edges.)

[img:width=500&height=512]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1423010626_312_FT0_2-tear-edges.jpg[/img]

Step 3:
      Distress and ink the to edges of the paper and then glue this paper to a sheet of cardstock but leaving an unglued edge all around the paper. I've used a sheet of cardstock from my stash. If you get the cardstock addon, use one of those sheets but you can use any cardstock you have on hand that coordinates with the paper.

[img:width=500&height=505]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1423010972_312_FT0_3-glue-to-cs.jpg[/img]

Step 4:

Take the to strips from step 2, tu over to the floral side, ink, and glue under the to edge of the paper all around. Add some white masking randomly to your page. I've use Crafter's Workshop tile mask. You can use any mask you like.

[img:width=500&height=476]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1423011091_312_FT0_4-mask.jpg[/img]

Step 5:

Cut part of the doily off and glue to the right side of the layout near the bottom.

5doily.jpg

Step 6:

Cut a strip of bling about 2 wide and glue the felt border on top of the bling.

6-bling.jpg

Step 7:

Glue the felt strip to the right side of the layout as shown in the photo.

7-felt-strip-added.jpg

Step 8:

Cut out a joual card from Paper Lagoon. Give the paper a good wrinkle, ink and distress the edges.

8-title-card.jpg

Step 9:

Adhere the joual card to the upper left side using foam strips or pop dots to raise it up. Add foam or cardboard under one side of your photo so that it rests level when placed over the bling and felt strip.

9-add-photo.jpg

Step 10:

Now its time to add your flowers! I've used the Petaloo Botanicas included in the main kit. I also made some hand rolled roses from cardstock scraps that I had on hand. You could make any kind of small flower or even leave them off. I've also punched some pine needle branches and nestled in with the flowers.

Web-KC-Blue-Bay-Everything-Beautiful-Brandy-2-15.jpg

That's all there is to it! Let me know if you have any questions,

Closeups:

Web-close1-KC-Blue-Bay-Everything-Beautiful-Brandy-2-15.jpg

Web-close2-KC-Blue-Bay-Everything-Beautiful-Brandy-2-15.jpg

Web-close-KC-Blue-Bay-Everything-Beautiful-Brandy-2-15.jpg

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

craftysprinkles
      Swirly Scrapper
        Send PM

Looks great! Thanks for the great tutorial!

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

Awesome tutorial, Maggi!!!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

This is GREAT!!!! And your page is gorgeous Maggi!

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

Hey ladies, just want to tell you that making rolled roses is easy peasy!! All you need besides the rolled rose die, is a quilling tool. The quilling tool makes rolling the roses so so easy. Wanna know my other big secret? Seriously, when it comes to making flowers, I am lazy and not inclined to fuss forever over them. So after rolling and gluing my flower, I simply tu it upside down on my desk and smush it into my desk. That bends the petals so that I don't have to take the tweezers and bend each petal which is a boring and not fun task! I do usually take my tweezers and tweak the petals just a tad but not much. Start to finish from cutting the flower with a die, to rolling and smushing, probably 1 minute.

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

Great layout and tutorial, thanks for sharing!

Beautiful =) Great tut.

craftysprinkles
              Swirly Scrapper
                Send PM

Gorgeous, Maggi, and your tutorial is perfect!!!!!!

Amazing page – love it!! TFS!

Great tutorial, Maggi!

Awesome tutorial, Maggi! Thanks so much for sharing the how-too for this beautiful LO! I am definitely going to try making some rolled roses!

Great tutorial Maggi, its great seeing these pages coming together bit by bit. Your roses are so good, I haven't a roses die but have a different type of flower die to roll which I will dig out. What brand die is your roses one?

Krissy
                Krissy
                Swirly Admin
                  Send PM

Great tutorial Maggi, its great seeing these pages coming together bit by bit. Your roses are so good, I haven't a roses die but have a different type of flower die to roll which I will dig out. What brand die is your roses one?

I believe it is La La Land. I also have one by Spellbinders but it makes a large rose.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.