Home Forums Tutorials, Tips, Tricks and Techniques Anatomy of a Layout Anatomy of a Layout – Cabaret Kit

This topic contains 36 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  craftysprinkles 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Snagg1
      Send PM

Krissy and Lisa G wanted to get this section up and running again. Each DT member has signed up for one a month. I'm sure that they will fill you in more as the section gets built, but the general idea is give you a glimpse into our creative process.
      The page I'm going to walk you through is Just The Girls.
      Justthegirls.jpg
      This is the first time I've really ever done this so I hope all of this makes sense. LOL This page all started because I had been looking through a mixed media magazine and I saw this gorgeous canvas that had fabric on it. The fabric had been fashioned into a curtain that had been pulled back in swag. I thought why can't I do that with paper? This month's kit had the perfect paper to try this with. So I set out to give it a try.
      Ok, back to the page; with the curtain idea in the back of my mind I started looking through my pictures. I knew that I wanted something girlie. I found this picture of my DD and my niece from about 4 years ago. They are just too cute together and to me, this picture had girlie written all over it. The photo was taken in black and white but it didn't have the punch I wanted it to. I ran it through PSE and used the Florabella Black & White Film action and then added a Vignette layer. This really made the blacks nice and dark and evened out my gray-tones.
      Now, I needed to find a background paper that looked good with my photo. To me this is super important. I can have the most awesome piece of paper and the best picture I have EVER taken in my life; but that doesn't mean that they look good together. For me, a picture needs to enhance the paper and vice versa; it isn't a one way proposition. With this month's kit it wasn't too hard to find the paper I wanted to use. Phew! 2 things down!
      001-1.jpg
      Now, on to the paper for my curtain. I'm sure that you are picking up by now that I am just gathering things. I move from one thing to the next building my page as I go. I'm not gluing anything, just making a small pile. The question that kept running through my head was Do I want to use patteed paper or go with card stock?” If I go with card stock it gives me more room to stamp and embellish. I decided I wanted to leave my options open and went with the card stock. Now I had to decide what I wanted to do with my curtain. I looked to my background paper for inspiration. Remember, for me I think it is important that everything plays well off of each other and should enhance what is already there. I don't like to have things competing for attention. Your eye should see the whole page and then begin to move around and pick out all of the details. I decided I would try to make a swag across the top similar to my paper. I traced a shape from one of the other papers and went for it. But….that wasn't enough. My mind is now beginning to think details….details. I added some lace and then punched an additional strip and glued it to the bottom. Out of the clear blue I thought that some words trailing off the left side would look good. FYI~ when these little fleeting images pop in my head out of the clear blue, I've leaed to just go with it. If I don't, that image will keep popping back in and I will always wonder what if. These are also the pages that I'm not completely happy with when I'm done. So I say, follow your instincts and listen to that inner voice. Don't think about it; just do it!
      002-1.jpg
      Now for the s-c-a-r-y part. I have my curtain pretty much looking like I want it to but now I have to run it under water. There would be no way to get my lace and punched edge etc., onto the curtain after I got it wet, so I had to do it first and now I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't fall apart. Because you really have to scoop this paper up and squish it together, you need to get it just a pinch wetter than your normal wet distress. I ran both sides of my paper under the water and then set it on paper towels for a minute to give the water time to do its thang. I wanted the top to stay as straight as possible so I put it on my magnetic board and used one of the ruler lines as a guide. This takes some time. Be patient. I spent about 20 minutes slowly moving the paper. It did rip in a few places, but that's ok. I could hide them. Once I got it pretty much where I wanted it I used my heat gun and slowly dried it. This way I could still work the paper if I needed to.
      004-1.jpg
      Ok, my curtain is now dry so I placed it on my background paper and plopped my picture down. I love to mat my pics. I think it adds some nice depth and really helps to highlight the star of your page. I decided to try and use the joualing cards that came in the kit. I didn't want to be really linear in my presentation. Instead I wanted to go with something that would stretch out the space where my photo was going to be; kind of like extending my picture.
      007-1.jpg
      This is a good start but now I need that beaded trim! My head is starting to ramp up now that I have the bones of my page together. This is the time to fill in the gaps and add the details. The beaded trim looks so great with that photo, at least in real life it does.
      006-2.jpg
      This is the point where I find myself compulsively having to touch every part of my page. It's like a sickness; I have an aversion to white space LOL. I decided to let my picture sit there and marinate for a few minutes and I diverted my attention to the curtain. I stayed consistent with the lace and used that to tie back the curtain. I love those flowers with the dangly jewels and I knew it would be perfect for my curtain. I dressed it up a bit with flowers and was done. Time to use glue! LOL I never glue anything down until I have put my page together and am happy with it.
      I figured, well…if I do any more this page is going to look like someone just threw stuff at it. This is when I prop up my page and just look at it for a few minutes while I clean up my space, to see if I want to make any changes.
      For me it is important to try something new. The curtain was new for me. Having just finished it, my head is swimming with other ways to finish it off, and that's ok. It's all a part of the process. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I hope I didn't bore you to death and that I was successful in giving you a glimpse into my creative process. It is not an easy thing to put into words because it seems like things happen in my head at the speed of light and by the time I figure that out, it is way too hard to remember how I got from point A to B. KWIM?!
      Thanks for being patient with me and reading through this!

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

thanks Lisa that is awesome…and I must confess I have the white sickness too 🙁

Super! How awesome is this!
        Oh yeah..I soooooooooooo needed this!
        Thanks Lisa

Not bored Lisa..actually thanks for letting us take a look into that beautifully creative brain of yours!
        These tips will definitely help me with my process. ;D

Thanks for sharing how you created this awesome LO!

Lisa great tut..TFS!!!!!

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

thanks Lisa that is awesome…and I must confess I have the white sickness too 🙁

Yeah me too Shona, a blank space is crying out to be filled!!

Interesting read Lisa, thanks!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

Wonderful, I am so happy to see something like this.

Snagg1
              Send PM

Thanks for the wonderful tut. I kept reading & wanting to read more! Fantastic idea. Now if I can only get the courage to do something like that with my paper.

I know how busy you are and how much time this took to organize and type. It's an awesome tut with so many great ideas. Thanks so much!!!

I'm going to love this Forum! Thanks Lisa.

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

You know, I have been so entranced with you Swirly Savages ever since I discovered you! I study your tips and techniques, listen to your advice, admire your beautiful layouts almost daily…to the point where my 22 year old daughter said, Mom when are you going to quit reading about it and MAKE something. I don't know when. I look at the gorgeous papers and embellies and I think Where do I start? Can I really make something so beautiful? Articles like this are so helpful and I thank you for taking the time to share your process and creative ideas. I feel like a little bird on the edge of its nest and one of these days I will be off! Linda

Krissy
                Krissy
                Swirly Admin
                  Send PM

You know, I have been so entranced with you Swirly Savages ever since I discovered you! I study your tips and techniques, listen to your advice, admire your beautiful layouts almost daily…to the point where my 22 year old daughter said, Mom when are you going to quit reading about it and MAKE something. I don't know when. I look at the gorgeous papers and embellies and I think Where do I start? Can I really make something so beautiful? Articles like this are so helpful and I thank you for taking the time to share your process and creative ideas. I feel like a little bird on the edge of its nest and one of these days I will be off! Linda

Hiiiii Linda come play with us 🙂

Linda, jump in girl! Before I joined SDs, my layouts were flat and had nothing tactile or any dimension. I did the same thing that you did and then I just jumped in. You won't fail, we won't let you. If you're not making mistakes, you're not leaing anything. Looking forward to seeing you in the Forums and Gallery.

Snagg1
                    Send PM

Aww, you guys are too nice! Thank you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.