Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Just Stuff Another use for your Christmas tree…

This topic contains 13 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Krissy Krissy 6 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

There are no trees in Nome, Alaska-none at all. Nome is on the Bering Sea so every year after Christmas, they drill holes in the ice and plant their trees on the ice and have a forest for the rest of the winter until the ice goes out. I had the misfortune of going to Nome in January on business and I saw this forest. Let me tell you, Nome is very cold and very dark in January!!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

thats different hey!~

Maggi – that's interesting. I gotta say NO to the cold and dark. Hold it, I think it's Just say NOme…. hahahaha yeah bad.

craftysprinkles
        Swirly Scrapper
          Send PM

Interesting story. I can't see how people can get used to the extremes of dark and light up there, it's pretty amazing. (And, no, I did not realize that Nome was treeless, it had never occurred to me.)

Wow…my BIL lives in Alaska…and wants us to visit…he is not in Nome. I will have to ask him about that…it will make for a conversation started when he gets here this weekend! Long dark…and cold days…um…no thanks! Michigan is bad enough right now…LOL.

Wow…my BIL lives in Alaska…and wants us to visit…he is not in Nome. I will have to ask him about that…it will make for a conversation started when he gets here this weekend! Long dark…and cold days…um…no thanks! Michigan is bad enough right now…LOL.

Yep once again, Heather, tell him NOme way!

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

Where does your BIL live Heather? We lived in Fairbanks for 5 1/2 yrs. Very cold in Fairbanks but very little wind so its bearable if you dress properly.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

i lived in Fairbanks for 1 year. My oldest son was bo there. The only way i want to see Alaska again is from the deck of a cruise ship..brrrrrrrrrrr

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

LOL!! Kathi, I loved Alaska and didn't even mind the winters.

I've never been that far north, but my dh worked serveral times in the Arctic circle. he's spent 6 weeks at a time there, working on helicopters that were there to survey for mining. he was only there in the summers, and the ground cover was very little, some of the pic's were really cool.
              If any of you are ever taking an alaska cruise, leaving vancouver, drop me a line, we can meet up 🙂

What a cool story, Maggie!

Heather, I went to Michigan once in January for a business trip. YUCK! Way too much snow. And, seriously! They had those engine blocks at the parking spots at restaurants. That is tooo cold for me! I could not wait to get home. I have family there–have not visited them ever. They come back to see us!

LOL!! Kathi, I loved Alaska and didn't even mind the winters.

I think if we'd had the $$$$ and a car to go on trips to see some of the countryside I would have liked it better. I spent my days in a 1 room efficiency apartment with a baby!

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

Kathi, that wouldn't have been fun ANYWHERE!!!

But I really would love to go on one of those Alaska cruises….. although I heard not to go in the summer…. lots and lots of bugs…..
                Does anyone know if that's true?

Krissy
                Krissy
                Swirly Admin
                  Send PM

The only time you can go on a cruise is in the summer. The mosquitos are really awful but they would not be so on a cruise ship.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.