This topic contains 78 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  craftysprinkles 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
  • Author

Snagg1
      Send PM

Has anyone created anything in their art joual? Here are a couple pages I did using items from the art joual starter kit. I'm on a diagonal kick apparently because I want to put the focal point on every page on diagonal for some reason. I'm also on a Liquid Pearls dot kick too. Part of the beauty of an art joual is that you can do whatever you want and whatever you feel. It's mine so I can do every page of diagonal dots if I want–haha

Here's a page using one of the feathers from the kit–I colored it using a Dylusion spray. Held the bottle up high and then let the mist fall onto the feather. I didn't want to saturate it and make it clump up so I did it twice then embellished with Liquid Pearls. Used to pieces of the patteed paper in the joual and put it on the page along with part of the packaging from the tags in the main kit. Used the rest of the ribbon and trim from the kit. The inspiration for the page is that a friend and I have been trading phone calls all week–Tag Me!

[img:width=402&height=500]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1394816256_2593_FT0_photo_3_3_402x500.jpg[/img]

Here's the next page I did that faces the previous one:

[img:width=375&height=500]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1394816373_2593_FT0_photo_1_1_375x500.jpg[/img]
      [img:width=500&height=322]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1394816428_2593_FT0_photo_4_1_500x322.jpg[/img]

Like the rest of you we have gotten gorgeous Silks paints over the past year and I love them. I've noticed that over time some of them have started to get thick and I don't want to waste them so I've been using them alot. I love their rich vibrant colors.

I combined three colors to make the background on this page (Emperors Gold, Love Struck, Pink Anthurium). I used my finger not a brush. The main focal point of this page is the lacey leaf that came in the joual starter kit. I've used other leaves like this and they are very cool. In this instance I embedded the leaf in the gesso basecoat I used for the page while the gesso was wet. While it was still damp I painted over it with the glass bead gel using a palette knife (from the kit) and then let the whole thing dry completely.

My concept was to make the leaf look like it was deteriorating gradually so that is why I didn't want the whole thing covered with glass bead gel. I then took the same Silks I used on the background and using my finger dabbed colors randomly on the glass bead parts. I used one of the paintbrushes from the kit to spread a thin layer of the gold on the lacey leaf portion and then finger dabbed the other colors.

I sprayed some white Dylusion spray lightly over parts of the page but didn't like it so I used a babywipe to dilute it down somewhat. Afterward I went over the whole leaf using a small black inpad to emphasize the veining in the leaf and some of the glass bead gel. Did a smudgey outline with black gelato and then topped with Liquid Pearl dots. I stamped one of my fav quotes with black StazOn and added a flower from my stash. I rubbed a bit of diluted Inkagold on the flower edges.

I like these two pages together because their focals are both diagonal, similar size, and similar shape, the color elements of both pages are similar. Also, the patteed paper I used have pencils and pens which denotes contact and that is what my friend and I have been trying to do all week–contact each other!

Another really interesting thing is that I did not plan out this page with all these elements–I first chose the patteed paper based on the fact I thought it would take color well. I wanted to use the feather and the leaf. It was only as I kept putting things down on the pages that it all fell into place. I was working on both pages at once because I knew they would be facing each other so I was trying to cross-pollinate so to speak.

I tell you this so you may feel more comfortable in doing your art joual in a different way then you may do your scrapbook layouts. Pick things you like and start slapping them down as you go without a full plan. You might be surprised at how you sub-conscious forms the plan while you work. The main thing is to have fun, experiment, and express yourself.

Snagg1
        Send PM

So gorgeous!!I love the rich colors!

craftysprinkles
        Swirly Scrapper
          Send PM

Gorgeous Patty! You make me want to give it a try…thanks for all of your information. Very Beautiful! Do you have any videos of you in action? I really love that leaf!

craftysprinkles
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

This is so lovely. As soon as I get an art joual, I'm going to play!

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

Great art joualing!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

Wonderful!

craftysprinkles
                Swirly Scrapper
                  Send PM

Patty, not only are your pages fantastic, but I love your post for all of the tips and explanations!!!!!
                  Thank you for this !heart

Krissy
                  Krissy
                  Swirly Admin
                    Send PM

Awesome joual pages Patty, I love how the feather tued out!

Love your feather and your tips are awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Wow Patty…. Beautiful and Fabulous

Snagg1
                      Send PM

Thank you all so so much for you compliments and encouragement. It really means a lot coming from all of you talented and creative women.

Snagg1
                        Send PM

Gorgeous Patty! You make me want to give it a try…thanks for all of your information. Very Beautiful! Do you have any videos of you in action? I really love that leaf!

Hi Barbara–as a matter of fact I did a tutorial this month as a guest designer here at Swirlydoos. It is on the Swirlydoos YouTube channel here. http://youtu.be/BM-BvlIWuD0. I also have a personal YouTube channel here. http://youtu.be/YuCtPoVpIT4. I would love for you to check them out!

Krissy
                        Krissy
                        Swirly Admin
                          Send PM

As soon as I got my kit I watched your tut Patty and started working on a page. This is my first go at art joualing and have to say it was fun.
                          [img:width=500&height=732]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1394908317_40_FT234505_art_joual.jpg[/img]

craftysprinkles
                          Swirly Scrapper
                            Send PM

Oh, Sherri! I LOVE this! So gorgeous!

Snagg1
                              Send PM

As soon as I got my kit I watched your tut Patty and started working on a page. This is my first go at art joualing and have to say it was fun.
                              [img:width=500&height=732]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1394908317_40_FT234505_art_joual.jpg[/img]

Sherri!! I love your simple complicated gorgeous girl! You dressed her beautifully and gave her a super cool textured setting! Yay for you!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.