Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Just Stuff Back at last!!!!!!!!

This topic contains 15 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Krissy Krissy 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

craftysprinkles
    Swirly Scrapper
      Send PM

Well. I must have to say that I have had a very interesting two weeks, ones that I hope to never experience again…
      We lost power about 8:30 on Monday night, if memory serves. Already, we could not get local television news: the power in lower Manhattan was shut off to protect the equipment during the by-then expected flooding.
      Last year's experience with Irene left us all a little bit prepared: our cars were moved to lots and roadsides away from the back in anticipation of South River (actually a creek-sized waterway) overcoming its banks; we all had our flashlights and candles ready and our cupboards stocked with canned goods.
      And then came the worst of the storm, when Sandy veering west crossed the Nor'Easter veering east and we were caught in the middle of the X. The next several hours were nail-biters with horrific winds and water rising higher and higher.
      During the worst of Irene, the flooding reached the edge of the parking lot behind me; but now the water kept coming higher and higher, to the front of the building and beyond. By then, the tires of the cars parked in front were no longer visible. And now to the one moment where I started to get really nervous: we heard a splash. My son trained the flashlight beam to the bottom of the stairway and there was about 1-1/2 to 2 inches of water at the bottom. He ran out and got our neighbors downstairs to come up to our apartment and we all spent the next few hours waiting and praying. His car was one of the ones parked out front; by the time it was over, the water was over the hood and almost to the top of the doors.
      The water stopped rising around midnight and by dawn, we could see the ground out front. By 8:00, we were all outside assessing the damage. Our neighbors' living room fuiture was ruined; fortunately, the water seepage did not get in far enough to damage most of the rest. People in other buildings were not as lucky; some lost everything. My building is actually an L; I'm on the bottom, the side goes toward the river. The upper half of the buildings had to be vacated; they're tearing out walls and insulation to try to prevent the spread of mold.
      My car was parked behind the building across the street. It took in water, but not too badly. I'm still trying to dry out the interior but the engine's good. My son wasn't so lucky. His car was completely immersed. We're on the Geico waitlist; they're towing cars to mechanics to see if they are repairable. It's still in the lot, so we're not sure when it will be looked at.

And yet, how lucky I am!!! Total areas have been all but obliterated, lives have been lost, others just shattered. As bad as the predictions were, we didn't dream that it would be this bad and it actually could have been even worse. We were told to expect 4 – 8 of rain and we ended up getting about an inch or two. All that flooding was caused by the surge of the ocean at high tide during a full moon. If that rain had come, I cannot imagine how much worse it would have been; I do know that the flooding would have been for a much longer period.

I spent Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of flood week at my job where we threw out all perishables, washed and sanitized all cases, refrigerators, freezers, and helped to restock all the shelves when the power came back on.
      Saturday, my oldest son and his father-in-law came up from PA with a few cans of gas for my car, lots of candles to replace our dwindling supply (btw, if I never smell another scented candle again it will be too soon ;) ) and, at my request, fresh subs.

Sunday, back to real work as we were finally up and running. My shift was extended as we were deluged with customers who came to not only replenish but to stock up for yet another storm that was coming. And so to Monday, Tuesday and then to Wednesday and another Nor'Easter. My son texted me while I was at work that our cable/inteet was back and that was good because I was a bit ~ 🙁 about the 2 of snow that I had to take off my car before the slow drive in the unplowed way home. I planned on going online as soon as dinner was over. Bad idea: the power went out as I was eating. It came back on last night, but I was sooooo tired that I looked at the television, I looked at the computer, said blah and went to bed.

I do so much want to thank all of my Swirly Sisters for their prayers and kind thoughts. Special {{{HUGS}}} to Rae and Kim who have seemed to be picking up my slack in the Round Robin challenge.

One look at the red dots tells me that I will NEVER get caught up here, so apologies for any seeming neglectfulness and I think that I'm going to start more or less at the beginning…

!heart you all and it's soooooooo good to be back among the Savages!!!!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Yay! So glad you are back and safe! What an experience to have to go through! I hope things get back to some sense of normal soon! I have been keeping all affected by the storm in my prayers.

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

Peggy, so glad that you are back. I can't even imagine that experience. So glad you guys are safe. Will continue to say prayers for those affected.

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

[img:width=473&height=474]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1352559088_550_FT182997_welcome-back-frances-3-teddybear64-31007449-473-4741.gif[/img]

Hey everybody, I think we need to have a Welcome Back party for Peggy today!!! Let's dig out some tunes and some snacks and celebrate! She's baaaaccckkkk!!! YAY!

So glad to have you back Peggy!! I can't imagine having to deal with what you did. It really reminds us to appreciate the little things we take for granted.

Well that sounds as if it sucked, all the way around. I am so glad you are and your family are ok and have relatively minimal damage.

craftysprinkles
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

What an ordeal. I'm just glad that you are safe, and still have your apartment, and your car! Love you!

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

Peggy, so glad that you are back and doing good!!!! Been worring about you!!!!!

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

So glad my partner in crime (or is it wine?) is back safe and sound. You have been missed

[img:width=40&height=40]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1352565413_41_FT182997_heart_beat.gif[/img]

craftysprinkles
                Swirly Scrapper
                  Send PM

So happy you're back and are safe & sound! What a terrible couple of weeks you had!!! My thoughts and prayers go out to the families who were affected by this storm ((((( HUGS )))))

Krissy
                  Krissy
                  Swirly Admin
                    Send PM

Oh Peggy I am so happy you're back and safe now. What a terrible thing to go through, I can't even imagine how you are all dealing with this – I'm keeping everyone affected in my thoughts and prayers! Big {{{Hugs}}}

craftysprinkles
                    Swirly Scrapper
                      Send PM

Thanks so much!!!!
                      Like I said, I'm one of the lucky ones. The devastation that so many are suffering through is beyond belief.
                      The headlines had been waing us of a major storm, but this is beyond anything that we were expecting.

I am glad that you are back up and running! 🙂

So glad to you are back with us Peggy! What a horrible 2 weeks. Glad you are safe!!!

craftysprinkles
                      Swirly Scrapper
                        Send PM

What an ordeal you have been through Peggy. It really sounds quite horrendous, but very pleased to hear that you and your family are safe.

So glad to have you back – you are really missed when you are not here!

Krissy
                        Krissy
                        Swirly Admin
                          Send PM

Oh, Peggy! I am so glad you are safe!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.