Home Forums Welcome to Swirlydoos! Announcements Bullying Special

This topic contains 19 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  lisajoy 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

We discussed bullying and CNN is running a special on Sunday night. The ad says they have a proven program.

Hope so. A 14 yr old in Buffalo in the town I used to live in just hung himself. Horrid and sad

That is awful! This has really gotten out of hand! It is so difficult being a child now…hard to believe we live in a country that has so many freedoms and is so prosperous yet things like this go on! Sad!

I don't get it, kids have been teased since the beginning of time by one another. I think that parents are so uninvolved nowadays, working weird hours, not caring, into their own drama, that they do not pay attention to the signs that A.) their kids are bullies or B.) their kids are victims of bullies.

So tragic.

Snagg1
      Send PM

Hope so. A 14 yr old in Buffalo in the town I used to live in just hung himself. Horrid and sad

Then I heard that they started taunting his sister after her brother was buried.

Snagg1
        Send PM

I don't get it, kids have been teased since the beginning of time by one another. I think that parents are so uninvolved nowadays, working weird hours, not caring, into their own drama, that they do not pay attention to the signs that A.) their kids are bullies or B.) their kids are victims of bullies.

So tragic.

Couldn't agree more. Then add denial into the mix and there you go.

I think nowadays, parents don't give their children the confidence to be themselves, and to be leaders. Saying this, I pray that I can instill the right values in my ds.

craftysprinkles
        Swirly Scrapper
          Send PM

I think nowadays, parents don't give their children the confidence to be themselves, and to be leaders. Saying this, I pray that I can instill the right values in my ds.

I think we all feel that way. 🙂

Well, I have been dealing with bullying for years. I am so sick of it I cannot even tell you.
          I was bullied as a kid from 7th grade on and my parents gave me useless advice and never stepped in to get to stop.

My older has been bullied every year for the last 4 years. She either goes to the dean about it on her own or we step in. I have even had to get the police involved because of being bullied through texting. My husband just had to take a walk to up the street with her last week to talk to the parents of a boy that was bullying her on the bus.

Yesterday, I had to get my 5 YEAR OLDS seat on the bus changed because the 5 YEAR OLD girl she was sitting with was bullying her!!!!

The world is raising sociopaths. The kids being bullied are afraid to tell anyone because they fear it will get worse if they do something about it. My daughter tells me and even tho we have been thru this a million times she is still afraid to do something to stop it. We have to push her to stand up to it. One thing you have to remember is these are still kids. They are not yet emotionally mature enough to deal with such abuse on their own. An adult has to step in.
          Getting off my high horse now. ;)

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

Oh Lisa, I am so sorry to hear that your dd's are going through this. My question is, what are the parents saying/doing when you go to speak to them about the problem?

If i had children and found out they were bullying some one, oh there would be HELL too pay!!

A bullying program needs to be implemented in the schools starting at kindergarten. Teachers need to step in when they see or hear about it happening at school.

craftysprinkles
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

I agree, but I think it has to extend beyond school, too. We were at hockey yesterday with our 5 year old and saw him skate into several kids and knock them down and not once did the coaches step in. We asked him why he did it and he said another kid had done it to him so he had started doing it to other kids. Good, because it gave us a teachable moment and a chance to explain consequences (ie wrestling with other kids who want to participate is okay but crashing into other kids won't be tolerated and if we see it again he'll be sitting in the bleachers watching next time while the other kids play). I think coaches/troop leaders/etc need to be educated about bullying and intervention, and resources should be more readily available to help parents deal with inappropriate behavior because I would guess a lot of parents aren't prepared for what they would do if they caught their kids bullying.

Our son's a great little boy, and I know his actions were meant as fun, but I think parents need to take their role seriously and step in before a real problem behavior is established.

Congrats for taking action Jackie. Maybe you ough to help the coach lea about bullying and his part in helping it stop.

craftysprinkles
              Swirly Scrapper
                Send PM

Oh Lisa, I am so sorry to hear that your dd's are going through this. My question is, what are the parents saying/doing when you go to speak to them about the problem?

If i had children and found out they were bullying some one, oh there would be HELL too pay!!

Exactly. We talk to Audra every single day about being kind to other people. It's really important to us that she is always nice. She has come home several times since she started Kindergarten telling us about what other kids have said and done to others. She was also sort of bullied last year, and she needed a lot of encouragement to stand up for herself. I stepped in several times by talking to the teachers, we quit carpool with the little girl, and I even had told the little girl myself to back off in the classroom last year when she told Audra, Audra I told you to wear a purple shirt today. in a bullying way right in front of me. It's out of control because the adults, including parents and teachers, let the kids be to work it out themselves. I didn't even let them do it when I was teaching juniors in high school- they need direction, and it is the duty of the responsible adult to mitigate a lot of these instances before they escalate. I once saw a show on TV, after those suicides last year, that had teachers being interviewed about bullying, and one of the teachers said that hadn't been trained to deal with kids bullying other kids. I about had a coronary: you don't need training, just jump in and take control, and keep your eyes open for any other instances. I witnessed crap between kids every day in the classroom, but I didn't just watch. I handled it. I called parents, sent kids to the counselor or the dean. Adults need to step up.

My niece had some issues last year but thank goodness the two girls that were the problem moved away! You try to teach them to tu away from it but it's like it encourages the bullies to do more! I agree that many parents don't want to deal with their children…they think if they ignore it it will go away…wrong answer!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.