Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Just Stuff Close Call!

This topic contains 32 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  lisajoy 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

craftysprinkles
    Swirly Scrapper
      Send PM

Last night I was headed in for a bath. When I got into the bathroom and ran my water, I couldn't find a hair clip, which is an absolute necessity when you have long hair like me! Half naked, I went out to the living room to get a clip out of my purse. As I was sitting on the love seat looking for the clip, it smelled like fire/smoke in the house, even though I am completely stuffed up with a cold. My first thought was the pain-in-the-ass gas fireplace that we have covered up with the love seat because it is only for aesthetic purposes- it doesn't actually heat the house! When we first moved in, we called the gas company to just have the gas shut off to the fireplace, but we were told it would cost $100 at least to have them come out, so we decided to just keep it going and cover it up. The only downside to this is sometimes it will come on if we bump the switch. It really isn't that big of a deal- we just keep the flue open in case, and it's only happened twice.
      So, I move the love seat to see if the fireplace was on, and it wasn't. The smell of smoke is getting stronger, and I call for my dh to get out of bed and help me find out what is going on. I frantically start unplugging everything I see, and move toward the office/play area/scraproom and that's when I see that this is the area where the smoke is coming from. It isn't thick, and the smoke alarms aren't going off, but the smell is STRONG! As we look around, we can't see any fire, but smoke is filling the room! That's when dh calls 911. I opened the front door and ran outside to see if the house was on fire, but I don't see anything!
      I run back inside and immediately think that it's scrap-related and start unplugging all my crap, then I move the scrapbox away from the wall and unplug the main cord, but it's not coming from there. Then dh pulls out the computer and it's flippin' HOT! That's when the fire department shows up. They took the computer outside and decided that was the culprit after searching the house. The computer is fried, literally!
      I can't help but feel so lucky that I am completely unorganized and couldn't find a hair clip. Who knows what would have happened had I not come out to get it!

WOW Rae that is scary! Who would even think a computer would cause that?
      Glad you are all okay!!!! You didn't run outside naked did you?

Rae!!! That is sooo scary. I'm so glad that you found it before a real tragedy happened….and you running out half-clothed was my second thought.

Holy shit…scary!! Thank goodness it didn't tu into a tragedy. How on earth does something like this happen??

Omg Rae..I'm so glad you and your fam are alright. God was really looking out for you girl!

craftysprinkles
      Swirly Scrapper
        Send PM

Oh, Rae, so glad that you discovered it in time & that you're all okay!!!!! I'd still be shaking if it were me!!!!!

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

OMG I am so glad that you are all ok…so scary!!!!

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

Thank God it tued out as it did, so glad you guys are ok.

Snagg1
              Send PM

Holy crap!! What a scary time. I'm so glad to hear that it tued out to be your computer and not your house.

Has your heart slowed down yet?

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

Woah, that is frightening!! So glad you are ok, wow, I'd still be shaking.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

craftysprinkles
                Swirly Scrapper
                  Send PM

No, I didn't run out naked! LOL! I slipped my pants back on in the middle of all of that!
                  The computer was actually quite old, dh bought it refurbished a few years ago, and he never messed with the settings, so it essentially never tued off. We only used it for Owen to watch his videos and play on you tube. He's more shaken up than we are because he usually gets to do whatever he wants to on Sundays while I catch up on chores, and he can't use the computer which is usually what he'd do for hours today!
                  I have to tell you guys that I was wound up for hours after that though. We tried to watch TV for a couple of hours, and then I took my bath. The funny thing is, (And, that's what I'll call it because I am not a religious person!), that when I went back into the bathroom, I actually found a clip sitting right on the counter.

I just went and tued off my desk top. That one is almost always on…No more…

Krissy
                  Krissy
                  Swirly Admin
                    Send PM

WOW Rae…that was a close one…sorry to hear that you had that happen, but at least everyone is safe.
                    Take care and relax!!!

craftysprinkles
                    Swirly Scrapper
                      Send PM

Dang Rae! SOOOOOO glad everyone is safe! I had a house fire, and believe me, it is not something I would wish on my worst enemy!

As far as that hair clip goes, someone had your back, girl!!!!!

Wow, Rae! So glad everyone is O.K.!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.