Home Forums Scrap Chat Ask the Designers Clusters

This topic contains 41 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Krissy Krissy 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author

No matter how I try I can not get my clusters to look anything like most of the layouts on here. Mine seem boring and just plain. If I space them close together they look cluttered, if I space them a little more apart they look un-connected..

I'm curious..did you girls lea this technique..or did it just come naturally to you?

Snagg1
      Send PM

No, I just kind of plop them on the page. I try to think of how flowers look in nature. A big one here, a little one tucked in there.

Wish I had more for you. Oh, and you clusters look perfectly fine to me. 🙂

Mine all seem to look the same when I'm done too….but if I like the way it looks….It's ok by me. Just do your own thing!

craftysprinkles
      Swirly Scrapper
        Send PM

I leaed by copying Robin and then doing my own thing.
        Great tip from Robin: take a pic of your layout BEFORE GLUING, upload it to your computer and look for gaps. It's like looking through another pair of eyes.

oh that is a good idea! I'll try that!
        Thank Peggy!

craftysprinkles
        Swirly Scrapper
          Send PM

Absolutely taking pics during the process is the way to go!! I have been doing that for years, and when I went to camp last year and couldn't do it, I was lost!!! lol!

Put your layout down the way you think you want it. Take a pic, look at it, you will see where you need to change it, fill it in, try something else, straighten this or that. Move things around till you think you like that, take another pic and look at it. You will eventually get it just right!! (Sometimes takes me many tries till I get it just right) But the beauty of it is that nothing gets glued till it's perfect, so you don't ruin any paper or embellies trying to fix it.

This will give you a whole new perspective on your project. You see it at a different angle. You can see if it is crooked, has holes, needs something, needs to be flipped, is not balanced, etc. Once you have it exactly the way you want it, put the layout together in front of the computer screen so you can see what it's going to look like! And so you don't leave anything out! (I've done that)

I love flowers and I do a lot of things with them!! Lisa's right about using diffeent sizes in your clusters. Different colors and types of flowers, too.

I love the vines because you can cut them up, and bend them to the way you want them, even take the manufacturer's flowers off and use your own to get the color and size you need! Sometimes I like the vines but not the flowers they put on them.

I think the leaves are the trick! You need leaves popping up here and there among the flowers so they don't look cluttered, and you can space them out and actually use less flowers. Leaves are the perfect filler.

craftysprinkles
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

Great advice Robin! I have been laying mine on the floor, before I do a glue down, standing up on top of a chair and looking down to get an arial, but taking a pic would probably be much better-thanks for the tip!
            Renea

Yea, I need to stick more stuff into my clusters!!

Thanks for the tip ladies! Especially Robin..that's such a great idea!

Odd numbers too. Groups of 3, 5 and 7.

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

I know what Robin is saying about taking a picture – that is so right on. I don't do it but I know it would help. Can't tell you how many times I have completed a LO, taken a photo and uploaded it and then looked at it and said to myself, you should of done this, that or the other. Honestly, I don't do it b/c I am impatient! I do put it on the floor and stand over it so I can get a good perspective and I have some glue dots that are absolutely useless except for one thing as a temp adhesive, they are not worth a damn for anything else!! So sometimes I use the temp adhesive and prop my layout up so I can see as if on my computer screen.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

I know what Robin is saying about taking a picture – that is so right on. I don't do it but I know it would help. Can't tell you how many times I have completed a LO, taken a photo and uploaded it and then looked at it and said to myself, you should of done this, that or the other. Honestly, I don't do it b/c I am impatient! I do put it on the floor and stand over it so I can get a good perspective and I have some glue dots that are absolutely useless except for one thing as a temp adhesive, they are not worth a damn for anything else!! So sometimes I use the temp adhesive and prop my layout up so I can see as if on my computer screen.

I do the stand up thing too to look at my LO. I also finish a LO, put it on an easel in the den and walk by it during a 24 hour period to see how I like it. I just took a LO apart and started over again 'cause it just wasnt' right…..took some time, but I'm happy with it now.

Snagg1
                Send PM

Yea, I need to stick more stuff into my clusters!!

ummmm, yah…..I was thinking the same thing. NOT! LOL :P

craftysprinkles
                Swirly Scrapper
                  Send PM

my clusters need stuffing, too! lol!!!! both of them!!!

craftysprinkles
                  Swirly Scrapper
                    Send PM

[quote]

I do the stand up thing too to look at my LO. I also finish a LO, put it on an easel in the den and walk by it during a 24 hour period to see how I like it. I just took a LO apart and started over again 'cause it just wasnt' right…..took some time, but I'm happy with it now.
                    [/quote]

Debbie, take pictures of it before you glue it, woman!!!!!!!!!! You won't have to take it apart!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.