This topic contains 11 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Krissy Krissy 6 years ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

I have a major problem. Every time I think about doing the swirlyhues I look at Robin's page and I just want to copy it. Instead of inspiring me it makes me want to copy it. It is so beautiful and I love it. Guess I will just enjoy looking at it. Maybe the next month the DD can do something less spectacular so some of us can get ideas.

i know this is a stupid complaint but we have so many talented people here it is difficult for us newbies to figure out how to not copy the beautiful layouts.

What is the policy of copying someones l/o (not for swirlyhues) but just to make a beautiful page.

Robin your work is spectacular. I was looking at your gallery and you do such beautiful work.

OK…First off, Less Spectacular??? UHMMMM..Robin doesn't do less spectacular It's not in her creative blood…LOL….
    Now….If you have been sooooo inspired by a DT member layout that it gets your mojo and creative jiuces going, there is nothing in the rule books to say that you cant lift it. Lifting is a form of flattery for us. Just mention that it was lifted from that persons design.
    Kathy, sometimes you start to lift a design, then your page starts to take on a life of it's own and it goes in a different direction, and before you know it, It doesnt really look like the one your lifting, and you just put your creative touch and style to it!!
    If you are entering a challenge such as SwirlyHues, then you really don't want to do a Direct Exact lift. Take the design from the sketch, change up the papers, use the same techniques, different embellies, before you know it the design is yours.
    No, your complaint is NOT stupid..
    I find that MOST designers allow lifting, as long as you extend the courtesy of telling where your inspiration came from. especially with a direct exact lift.
    OK..No more problems now…Go copy Robins page, use the techniques she did, use the same papers and embellies..You will be surprised to find that you CAN produce an equally as beautiful page and the techniques are easy, and you can pull if off, and in tu, your creative juices will flow, and you will be more confident in your own scrapping…Before you know it, you will be producing More spectacular pages with EASE…
    I know Robin would be flattered!!! Please, I want to copy her stuff!! Robin is the reason I bought a Zutter Distresser!! She is the Queen of the distressed edge!!
    OK..No more complaining..
    (in my best Tom Hanks voice)
    There's no complaining in Scrapbooking!!!!!

Snagg1
      Send PM

Well said Lisa! Go for it Kathy, you can do it!

BTW – that is one of my most favorite movie lines. LOL

me too…

craftysprinkles
      Swirly Scrapper
        Send PM

Kathy, seriously, listen to the Lisas!!!
        Lifting is how a lot of us leaed and are still leaing.
        Just select your photo, select your papers and get to work, copying the LO that you love but letting your page go where it wants to. I promise that you'll amaze yourself!!!
        I can't wait to see what you come up with!!!

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

What they've said is sooooo true…..

Snagg1
            Send PM

Helpful hint. When you pick the tutorial to follow your page will automatically take a life of its own. Even if you do the same tutorial each person will do it differently. The tut will highlight that specific technique. Your following a sketch so they are kinda expected to look a little similar but thats ok. (I get mine done right away then it looks like someone else lifted from you) jk LOL. I hope that helps.

Snagg1
              Send PM

Hey Kathy, why dont you try joining in on the monthly Round Robin, the whole idea of it is to lift someones layout and change it a little or even a lot. And if your not really ready for that yet, why not play at home and lift one of the pages that are made in the RR, and if you want to put it in the gallery just credit the designer from the RR that you lifted. You'll also get a really good idea of how little changes can make a big difference to the whole look, just by looking through the RR challenges every month.

Thanks all great ideas

I second what Tammy suggested. Try the Round Robin. It's fun and you have to lift ideas. I might be just the inspiration to get your mojo going. I loved doing it this month. Give it a whirl!!!

craftysprinkles
              Swirly Scrapper
                Send PM

Thanks, Debbie!!!!
                I wanted to say that but was afraid that I'd sound like I was just playing my broken record…
                Anyway (1)thanks for joining up yourself and (2)isn't it fun AND inspiring?

Krissy
                Krissy
                Swirly Admin
                  Send PM

Yep i agree..lifting is how I leat the techniques and how I even leat to scrap. Everyone leas something from everyone else and like Lisa said it is quite flattering actually to inspire someone to lift you. Even now, after 2 years of scrapping , after I visit many blogs I pick up so many ideas and quite often I dont even remember from whom LOL! But we are all sharing work on our blogs publicly and we do so because we want to share our creations and inspire others. Dont be afraid of lifting! I lifted for a VERy long time before I actually created my own layouts. ! Hope this helps a little.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.