Home Forums Scrap Chat Ask the Designers December Tech Kit

This topic contains 20 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  craftysprinkles 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

craftysprinkles
    Swirly Scrapper
      Send PM

Okay, in the videos, you've been careful to mention that we DON'T use resins such as Invild's, Melissa Francis, etc to form our molds and I understand completely.
      But what else is off limits? I'm assuming that I can't do TH Umbrella Man (I have a small stamp and Rae, thanks for suggesting stamps, never thought of that). Or can I? After all, I can plaster stamped and embossed and die cut UM all over the place? What about Prima or G45 metal flowers? We got some metal frames a while back in a kit, can I use that? How about charms from companies such as Blue Moon beads?
      I'll be doing buttons and found objects and such, are the rest okay as long as it's not resins that I'm copying?

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

Peggy, I think it's any scrapbook related company or item.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

Oops, guess i've broken the rules. I've made molds of some of the above mentioned already. I thought it was ok as long as it was for personal use.

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

Oops, guess i've broken the rules. I've made molds of some of the above mentioned already. I thought it was ok as long as it was for personal use.

Me too!!

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

[quote]

Me too!!

[/quote]
              A lot has been said about you and I Kathi, and I think rule breaker has always been in the convo. He he!

I think as long as it's for personal use…not to be sold or massed produced or used to promote yourself, then it's good to go.

If you are making one or two to use on a lo, card, etc…then I think you're okay.

At least that's my interpretation of the copyright laws.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

ANY use of copyrighted designs is a copyright violation. Say you use one of Ingvild's resin pieces as a mold, then you are producing a copy of a copyrighted design. It isn't the piece that is copyrighted, it is the design.

Say then that you get on a DT and use one of those copies, then you are promoting the use of copyrighted designs in your work.

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

Guess its a good thing i'm not on any dt. Will just have to not make too many. LOL!

craftysprinkles
                Swirly Scrapper
                  Send PM

This is sooooooooooooo sticky. I think the original reason most people would even buy it is to make knock-offs, and save money to not purchase more of a product they love, and be able to make it over and over again. And, if it's for personal use, I guess there is no harm in it, BUT, people have actually been doing this- making molds of the Prima resin pieces, then selling those and the molds on etsy and other places. Ingvild Bolme has personally called these people out on facebook, and I can see her point. Those are her designs, and she gets paid by Prima for them. If people stop buying them, then she's out of that job, kwim? Then, she wouldn't be able to design any more fabulous resin, which are some of my favorite embellishments ever.

We decided to make mention of this in our videos because we don't want to promote copyright infringement. We can't tell you what to do with the products, but we tried to offer you different ways to use it. I think a general rule to follow is that if an embellishment of any material has been created for the scrapbook industry, let's not mold it, which would be the resins and TH metal and other of the like. Stamps, on the other hand, in my opinion are okay because if you can stamp anywhere as much as you want, you should be able to mold it. Other people may disagree, and that's okay. 🙂

Krissy
                  Krissy
                  Swirly Admin
                    Send PM

You explained that perfectly,Rae!!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
                    Krissy
                    Swirly Admin
                      Send PM

[quote]
                      [quote]

Me too!!

[/quote]
                      A lot has been said about you and I Kathi, and I think rule breaker has always been in the convo. He he!
                      [/quote]

So true…LOL

craftysprinkles
                      Swirly Scrapper
                        Send PM

Okay, this makes sense. I saw Invild's FB post and I totally agree with her. I cannot believe that people would make and sell knock-offs; are they dishonest, stupid, or both. I do hope that Prima has gone after them.

And this is why I asked the question. It IS confusing. I guess I was wondering: if I were to create an image to put on a greeting card that I would be sending to someone and that's it, that would be one thing. But if I were to upload that card to our gallery or to one of the Big Box sites? That's publishing and I do think that that would be copyright infringement?
                        So. I had figured no actual resins such as the Prima. But you're saying not this either, right? http://www.swirlydoos.com/store/metal/7-gypsies-display-trim-coers-antique-silver.html And why would this be different from http://www.joann.com/handmade-bone-buttons-outdoor-designs-6pk-tan-brown-white-black/xprd377884/ and why can I do that but not say http://www.joann.com/tim-holtz-accoutrements-buttons-9pk-idea-ology/zprd_10452050a/ ? (Actually, I had been planning on using the latter.)

I'm not trying to argue, but I don't want to be in the wrong, kwim?

Anyway, thanks so much for the replies.

You wouldn't be able to use any of those. They are all most likely copyrighted.

But you do can use buttons from your stash or hairpins.

Here is the exact description of copyright infringement taken from the US Copyright website: What is copyright infringement?
                        As a general matter, copyright infringement occurs when a copyrighted work is reproduced, distributed, performed, publicly displayed, or made into a derivative work without the permission of the copyright owner.

I guess basically you cannot use the molding product at all…technically speaking because most likely EVERYTHING is copyrighted.

But….as far as Im conceed, so long as I only make one or 2 for personal use, do not mass produce, do not sell and do not post in the web…I'm okay. I know it's not technically correct, I also feel that since I'm not benefiting financially, then I'm not hurting anyone either.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.