Home Forums Scrap Chat General Stuff Do I need a Cricut?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Krissy Krissy 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

Hello All

I have been hearing about the 5ht anniversary of the Cricut and I don't own one. I have punches and spellbinders but do I need one? I thought about the flower tutorials that I see on the board and thought maybe I would use it for that but wanted to see what you all thought.

thanks so much

Michelle

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

You will probably get all kinds of answers to this question. I have a Cricut, I don't use it very much, I don't know why, I guess it just seems like a pain in the ass to use it and it really isn't. Every time I use it, I think to myself, I really should use this more often. I just got a Vagabond, I will use that alot more than the Cricut. My Cricut is the old one, I got it when they first came out, so only 6 wide, I bet I would use it more if I could cut 12 wide. I think if you really like to use cutouts and that kind of thing,, then you might love a Cricut, Me I'd rather use a punch to cut a floer than pick one out on a Cricut cart and cut it. LOL, but that's just me. There are plenty of Cricut fans out there.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

I have the Expression, and I use it pretty often. I tried to cut Tattered Florals using organza on it….it didn't work. I saw a demo on youtube, and the girl used her cricut to cut out material for flowers. I probably need a new blade.
        Lots of the Savages are using the Silhouette SD. They seem pretty happy with it.

I have both the Expression and The Silhouette SD. I mainly use my Silhouette. That is because I wanted a machine that was capable of cutting out images that I had printed out. I will alter images, create a new one, use my regular printer and then the Silhouette will cut it out. This machine costs about the same as the Expression. NO cartridges are needed. You can purchase files from the online store for $1 each or get a monthly subscription for an even better deal. I will be purchasing either Make the Cut or SCAL 2 for the Cricut…only because it can cut on the 12 inch paper (but if a new Silhouette comes out that holds bigger paper..then I would buy it). The cricut can also cut chipboard.

For the flowers….I think it is just easier to use the die and big shot machine. That way you can use up your scraps.

If I don't feel like making my own die cuts…I can purchase ones from the online store…that are pretty much the same thing as what you could get on a cricut cartridge. If you are interested in knowing more about the silhouette…and what it can do..you can pm me. Hugs!

Heather, you might not want to purchase MTC or SCAL for your Cricut. Provo Craft has sued both companies and MTC can no longer cut to the Cricut..SCAL is still in court with Provo Craft, but we are all assuming it will be the same deal.
        I used to LOVE my Cricut…every time I used it I would thank DH for getting it for me because I loved it so much. I still like it, but that whole lawsuit business really took the fun out of it. I just don't think I agree with what they are doing, and feel like they are doing it just for the buck and don't really care about their customers.

and that's all I'm gonna say about that.

I have the Expression (or, the Big Dog, as my sis and I call it) and really like it. Whether you get the Cricut or Silhoutte the main thing is to leave it out where it you can easily use it. If you don't have it out on your work area you will not be inclined to use it.

Heather, you might not want to purchase MTC or SCAL for your Cricut. Provo Craft has sued both companies and MTC can no longer cut to the Cricut..SCAL is still in court with Provo Craft, but we are all assuming it will be the same deal.
        I used to LOVE my Cricut…every time I used it I would thank DH for getting it for me because I loved it so much. I still like it, but that whole lawsuit business really took the fun out of it. I just don't think I agree with what they are doing, and feel like they are doing it just for the buck and don't really care about their customers.

and that's all I'm gonna say about that.

The trick is not to get the update for the Make the Cut. I'm still using mine. I can also purchase an image from Silhouette and print it out in dark grey, put it through Inkscape….and still use it on MTC. It's legal 'cause I paid for the image. You don't have to have a Silhouette to buy images…I don't think? You used to…but I think you can get the images if you pay for them now.

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

thank you everyone for your thoughts. I saw the Today's Special Value and decided to get the cricut. We will see how it goes. 🙂

thanks so much!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.