Home Forums Scrap Chat Challenges February 2015 SGC Challenge ~~~ Winner ~~~ See last post…

This topic contains 86 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  odiammy 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 88 total)
  • Author

craftysprinkles
    Swirly Scrapper
      Send PM

We all have them: tools and mediums buried and neglected. We loved them when we acquired them and we enjoyed playing them until the next shiny thing came along. We may have still used them, but as more new toys found a place in our homes and our hearts, we eventually forgot to take them out and there they have languished, gathering dust.
      This month, I challenge you to do a bit of digging until you find some of these forgotten playthings, give them a quick swipe with the duster and take them out for a spin.

So. Here are the rules.

You must use at least two tools and/or mediums that have been neglected for at least a year. There will be no extra credit for including more than two, but I think that you’ll find the true meaning of the phrase “the more, the merrier” if you decide to play with lots of your buried treasures!

Remember, this challenge is all about tools and mediums. Like me, you just may come across some long-forgotten paper and embellies. If you do, hey, go for it! However, they will not count as part of the requirement.

I’m going to have to say the same about dies and stencils, unless you haven’t used your die machine or any stencils in over a year.

While use of Swirly stuff is encouraged, I’d like everyone to play along, so use whatever you have.

Entries must be uploaded on this thread (so I can post them all when it comes time to vote) and in the Swirlydoos Gallery on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.1547436288827769&type=1

You may enter as many times as you want as long as you use different toys on each layout.

The deadline is midnight EST, Saturday, February 28.

On March 1, I’ll be asking all you Savages to pick two favorites and to PM your selections.

The winner of this challenge will receive $25.00 in the Swirlydoos Boutique to spend on even more shiny things!

Take a look at the gorgeous entries that the Savages have come up with:

Maggi
      [img:width=595&height=580]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1423856390_312_FT257025_web-authentique-durable-live-every-moment-bradley–2-15.jpg[/img]

Ginny
      [img:width=596&height=598]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1424643005_2865_FT257025_rsz_dsc_0002_14.jpg[/img]

Kim
      [img:width=600&height=601]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1424644589_131_FT257025_img_9398_.jpg[/img]

Cheryl
      [img:width=600&height=596]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1425138118_17_FT257025_feb_2015_sgc_resized_.jpg[/img]

Here’s the example that I came up with:

ButtermilkFalls_zpsa9f82564.jpg

The item that actually gave me the idea for this challenge was a set of Bazzill In Stitch’z Templates that probably haven’t been used in over five years. Krissy included some in one of the very early kits (the Whimsy kit from March 2009, to be exact) and I loved them so much that I bought a few more. I did use them for a while, but… Anyway, you can see the lighter blue stitching on either side of the photo. I’m afraid that by the time I finished layering and embellishing, this part of my layout was pretty much hidden.

Next, I decided to use a Lucky 8 punch by We R Memory Keepers. I don’t know why this wonderful tool has been sitting idle, but it has. Now that it’s unburied, I just may trot it out from time to time!

Does anyone remember the Amazing Casting Resin that was part of an add-on kit in December 2012? I so enjoyed this chance to make some of my own flowers and buttons and butterflies and then… I’ve made six flowers and I’ve colored them all with Inklingz and Lindy’s Magical Micas. The sunflower centers are highlighted with the Stickles that were part of the January main kit.

Lastly, I’ve rediscovered my alcohol inks and I don’t understand why they needed rediscovering – the effects of blending and dabbing are fantastic! Krissy introduced these to us in October 2009 with the Autumn Splendor kit.

Speaking of Autumn Splendor, I have included a bit more from that kit.
      My layout is based on the Beggahuna sketch from that month – don’t you agree that it’s a beauty? If you go to the “old” Swirlydoos Gallery, you’ll find a lot of these inspiring road maps. Just scroll down to the Off the Page section and click on Sketch Gallery.
      I also used something that is sort of from the kit: the laser cut chippie. I say sort of because I used the one that was included immediately and then I had that reaction that we all have: Oh, noooooooo!!!! I need that again and again. My good buddy Kathi sent me hers and I hoarded it until the next year when I used it on another fall layout and then, you guessed it: Oh, noooooooo!!!!! Someone (I think it was Jan) told me that they were available through Leaky Shed Studios and I immediately ordered several. I’ve been hoarding them ever since and I think it’s time that I started using them up.

The rest of the flowers and all of the paper, save the Core’dinations Tim Holtz kraft sheet are from the January kit. The Prima alphas are from my stash; I honestly don’t remember where or when I got them. The postcards are from a pile that I bought last January while spending a wonderful afteoon antique shopping with Andie and Kim.

And that photo!!! Unfortunately, I cannot give credit for it. I belong to a Facebook group made up of those of us who grew up in Le Roy, New York. I messaged the person who posted it and he told me that he had no idea who the photographer was; he had found it uncredited. I do wish I knew who took it. If I do find out, I’ll add it on to this post.

craftysprinkles
      Swirly Scrapper
        Send PM

I can't wait!

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

We want more info!

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

ooooh sounds like fun!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

Come on…come on….come on……!!!!

Peggy, you are a Swirly tease.

I've got my eye on you!

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

we're watching you Peggy!!!!

[img:width=50&height=50]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1422812689_41_FT257025_watching-1.gif[/img]

Snagg1
                  Send PM

🙂 I'm intrigued…

Krissy
                  Krissy
                  Swirly Admin
                    Send PM

Waiting….

Krissy
                    Krissy
                    Swirly Admin
                      Send PM

Peggy, get on the stick!!!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

craftysprinkles
                      Swirly Scrapper
                        Send PM

Okay, I've updated the first post…

I hope you all like this challenge enough to play along!!!

Krissy
                        Krissy
                        Swirly Admin
                          Send PM

Hmmmmmm, great challenge. Well how a bout a tool that i've had for more than a year that I've NEVER used?!!!! I have a Ranger melty thingy that I've never used so that's one thing and a 2nd, don't know what that might be but there's got to be something buried around her somewhere! Will have to dig.

craftysprinkles
                          Swirly Scrapper
                            Send PM

LOL, Maggi. I'm sure that we all can say guilty on that one.
                            Of course you can use it. And I'm sure that you'll find number 2 in no time!!!!

I love this idea, esp since most of my mediums are still untouched. Also my Cameo is collecting dust, I just updated my software.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.