Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Just Stuff Gardening time of year!

This topic contains 13 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Krissy Krissy 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

Have you ever had a problem with crows? The other day I went out to my garden and there were at least 5 half eaten green tomatos on the ground that something had pulled off the vines. So I went on the inteet and discovered that putting dog hair around the plants will keep animal critters away. Well I do have some dog hair, an endless supply as a matter of fact! Then I tied some white strips of an old sheet onto the tomato cages thinking that might scare away any birds since I didn't know if it was an animal, ie raccoon or possum, or bird attacking my plants.

Today I heard a bunch of crows making a rucus and saw two in the yard so I tued the dogs out just in time to see one fly out of my garden with a tomato in his beak, miserable bird!! So I did some more research, of course I need a scarecrow, that could be a wonderful crafty project, LOL but I need dh to help me with that and of course he is gone for the next three days. But I did have some tall poles that I pushed into the ground and ran a string over top the tomato plants and cages. From the string I hung old CDs and a couple aluminum pie pans. Sooo hope this works!! Damn, last year it was the constant rain, is it gonna be the scourge of the crows this year??? I have some beautiful green tomatos on the vine and I am looking forward to a BLT about the 4th of July if I can keep those pesky crows away!!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Snagg1
        Send PM

Ggrrrrr! That stinks Maggi! Hopefully your tricks work. We had an almond tree in our first home's yard and those birds would pluck them then drop them onto our roof to break them open! They are big noisy and bad.

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

Oh I hate crows, they're just rats with wings. At my old house I had a big cherry tree in the back yard. I'd be thinking the cherries were ready to pick & I'd get up the next moing & it was like the crows had a party during the night and eaten them all! They'd also drop them in our pool all the time. A couple of years before we moved I had a couple of hawks build a nest in one of the other trees in the backyard. That was the first time I got cherries from the tree because every time a crow would fly even close to the yard the hawks would chase them away. The next year they came back to the nest along with 5 of their babies from the year before. I think hawks are like eagles & stay with the parents for a couple of years before heading out on their own. Maybe you can rent a hawk, lol

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

Rats with wings LOL Steph, you're TOO funny. LOL. We have a lot of crows in our neighbourhood, and my neighbour, who has a large vegetable garden, has this big plastic (very realistic) owl sitting on a post beside it to keep them away. It seems to work because I don't see them in her yard ever.

Thievery aside, I have to put a small defense in for them. I watched a documentary about them once and they are extremely intelligent, live in family groups with aunts, uncles, etc, and take care of each other, have amazing memories and actually grieve when one of their family members dies. It was really interesting. They sit in my big tree alot and I am fascinated with some of the calls they make. They have a huge vocabulary!

But I know how annoying it is to lose your hard work and greatly anticipated tomatoes!

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

Crows and ravens are both fascinating. I wish them no ill, just stay out of my garden!!!!And don't mess with my baby birds either.

When we lived in Fairbanks, Alaska, it was always so funny to see the ravens foraging at 40 below with ice stuck to them. They were one of 6 birds that did not migrate for the winter. Can you imagine, the tiny little chicadee also did not migrate. Hard to believe they could survive that cold~

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

craftysprinkles
              Swirly Scrapper
                Send PM
                Krissy
                Krissy
                Swirly Admin
                  Send PM

What are you doing to it Barbara? And what kind of birds are those?

Krissy
                  Krissy
                  Swirly Admin
                    Send PM

Yeah, I don't like them eating the baby birds either. The robins and blackbirds are kept busy here chasing them away. It's kind of funny watching a big crow on the run from a little blackbird. They make this funny kind of cackling noise when they're sitting in the tree being dive-bombed.

But…. look at the one in this video… he kind of melts your heart! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1001109316600091

Snagg1
                      Send PM

Barbara,are those turkeys?

Krissy
                      Krissy
                      Swirly Admin
                        Send PM

Awh, that is really cool Linda, obviously a tame crow I'd say.

Krissy
                        Krissy
                        Swirly Admin
                          Send PM

Wow wild turkey Mama and her babies really destroyed your garden Barbara.

Poop I can't get that video to work for me 🙁

craftysprinkles
                          Swirly Scrapper
                            Send PM

What are you doing to it Barbara? And what kind of birds are those?

They are Turkeys…They are so goofy and fun to watch…They are just one of many problems with having a garden where we live…So this is what we did, we finished it last Tuesday. We put in mow strips and put down grass. Under the grass is gopher wire…We are keeping our fingers crossed that we can out smart them. We are making a succulent garden where the flower garden was…we hear the rabbits and deer don't like them…we will see!!!

Krissy
                            Krissy
                            Swirly Admin
                              Send PM

Yea, I got the video you posted Linda to work this time, it was pretty cool

Krissy
                              Krissy
                              Swirly Admin
                                Send PM

So far so good, the crows have not been back. I have an owl on guard along with my dangling CDs and tin pans.

I picked the first of the green beans today, yummY! I've been picking sugar snaps all week, they are good but won't last long in the heat we have here. I don't really love gardening but I sure love eating the produce!!

Krissy
                                Krissy
                                Swirly Admin
                                  Send PM

You are funny Maggi!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.