Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Just Stuff Getting Healthy 2014

This topic contains 21 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Krissy Krissy 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

I thought I would share this here…

I don't usually make resolutions but this year I do have one… to keep some of the weight off that I lost when I got sick in November. I have been meaning to lose the last 5 lbs. for the last 5 years since having my daughter. Well, I lost 12 lbs. in one month due mostly to having acute gastritis after an allergic reaction to antibiotics. Every time I went to eat it felt like I was trying to stuff food down AFTER eating a huge meal – even though I was completely empty. So, I had to make every food a very good choice to get better by Christmas. Anyways… I had no excuses before since I had studied nutrition for well over a year a while back (thinking I wanted to become a dietician). Now, I plan to get back to my yoga routine and to continue to eat well as I have HAD to do since all of this happened. I would like to ONLY gain back only about 5 lbs. of the 12 that I lost (gotta have chocolate sometimes, right?).

Ok so here is my advice to anyone… read The Body Reset by Harley Pasteak. I essentially have had to follow this type of regime for 2 months since getting sick (not to anger my stomach with fried foods and such). He really has the best approach to sensible weight loss with fairly quick (yet lasting) results. I have studied almost all of the popular gimmick diets and complicated programs even after my studies… and they ALL fail somewhere — whether it be delete a food category such as carbs or many diets assume that every calorie is equal (NOT!). Harley even gives vegetarian alteatives and I like the way he explains WHY certain foods as essential and HOW they work. He explains this in an EASY to comprehend way (unlike my old school textbooks, LOL). Anyways… just thought I'd share because his regime is the closest big, huge summary of my year's worth of very expensive post secondary textbooks. Plus it obviously works… I'm still down 10 lbs. and have eaten a bit of chocolate every day since Christmas day 🙂

Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

I may have to read his book. I too am back on the health thing. Except I tend to do it my own way. Lots of fruit , salads, fish, a few nuts, yogurt, and a tad of oatmeal. Never would I have thought of putting chocolate in the mix, unless its dark chocolate.

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

Just looked it up. No way. I am not a smoothie girl.

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

I recently found I have had a gluten intolerance. Excessive bloating, pain, sometimes gas but not normally, pain, more bloating…you get the idea. I couldn't even think about exercising because I was in so much pain and my stomach would bloat so big, looked like I was 9 months preggers.

So after a battery of tests my Dr. said to go gluten free and BAM! no more bloating, no more pain, I feel great!!!

However, no fried food. No batter, no muffins, bagels, cakes, cookies, no candy, no cream soups….guess what this means? WEIGHT LOSS!!!!

I've been holding steady down at 160 and I am super stoked. If I could stop munching at night and just start working out I would be SVELT!!!

Sooooo…Yes Vicky I totally agree. All calories are not created equal and that stuff is soooooo bad for us in ways we don't even realize.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

Way to go Vicky at keeping the weight off, I guess if you had to suffer through being sick at least that was a good side effect to have, lol.

I've been putting on weight and need to go back to my doctor for tests so maybe I'll have to go gluten free like you Andie.

Just looked it up. No way. I am not a smoothie girl.

Don't do the smoothies – just eat the equivalent in meal format (that's what I do). I'm not big on smoothies either. Had to for 3 weeks due to my stomach but not anymore. I like to chew my food, LOL. I actually love the mango, avocado, lime and black bean salad in the book (and I usually HATE beans but this combo works for me – with salt!).

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

Now you are reeling me in! I love an avocado and love them in my salad. That salad you described sounds awful tasty! Does he let you eat fish? I love salmon!

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

I'm glad you are feeling better! Gastritis is bad news!

Now you are reeling me in! I love an avocado and love them in my salad. That salad you described sounds awful tasty! Does he let you eat fish? I love salmon!

Yes… that's the thing… you should never take out a food category unless you have an allergy. I hate diets that delete carbs, or certain meats etc. Everything in moderation (even a pinch of sugar) is OK. There is a top 10 food list like avocado, almonds, greek yogurt, berries, etc. that he recommends you incorporate each week with your meals for weight loss, nutrient absorption, immune system health and so on. Fish is one of the best sources of protein since you get Omega 3's. I love fish too!

Krissy
                Krissy
                Swirly Admin
                  Send PM

I totally agree with non eliminating a food category.

I went on South beach and couldn't hardly move off my couch. it's amazing what improper nutrition can do to you.

Even being gluten free I get plenty of grain in other ways…just not wheat. I tend to shy away from pre-packaged gluten free food because it's so chocked full of chemicals that its just as bad.

I have a recipe from allrecipies.com for a black bean and quinoa dish to use for tacos. I add about 1lb of ground beef for my family and we use it now instead of straight taco meat. SSSOOOOOO much cheaper. It's phenomenal with lime juice and fresh avocado.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Snagg1
                    Send PM

I went on South beach and couldn't hardly move off my couch. it's amazing what improper nutrition can do to you.

Even being gluten free I get plenty of grain in other ways…just not wheat. I tend to shy away from pre-packaged gluten free food because it's so chocked full of chemicals that its just as bad.

I have a recipe from allrecipies.com for a black bean and quinoa dish to use for tacos. I add about 1lb of ground beef for my family and we use it now instead of straight taco meat. SSSOOOOOO much cheaper. It's phenomenal with lime juice and fresh avocado.

I had read about gluten being a Fibromyalgia trigger so i figured,what the heck,I'll try it.
                    After 6 weeks of no gluten,I could not believe what a difference it made! Brought down the general inflammation dramatically. When I do sneak (sometimes I just need something fried and battered) i can feel it right away.
                    Have lost 20 pounds so far and because its a lifestyle change,not a diet,I am confident it will stay off (well.down)

Krissy
                    Krissy
                    Swirly Admin
                      Send PM

[quote]

I had read about gluten being a Fibromyalgia trigger so i figured,what the heck,I'll try it.
                      After 6 weeks of no gluten,I could not believe what a difference it made! Brought down the general inflammation dramatically. When I do sneak (sometimes I just need something fried and battered) i can feel it right away.
                      Have lost 20 pounds so far and because its a lifestyle change,not a diet,I am confident it will stay off (well.down)

[/quote]

Good for you Tracy!!! It's amazing how just eating one little bit of contaminated food can bring back all the symptoms almost immediately.

My mom has Fibro and Lupus… I will tell her about this.

Krissy
                      Krissy
                      Swirly Admin
                        Send PM

[quote]

Yes… that's the thing… you should never take out a food category unless you have an allergy. I hate diets that delete carbs, or certain meats etc. Everything in moderation (even a pinch of sugar) is OK. There is a top 10 food list like avocado, almonds, greek yogurt, berries, etc. that he recommends you incorporate each week with your meals for weight loss, nutrient absorption, immune system health and so on. Fish is one of the best sources of protein since you get Omega 3's. I love fish too!
                        [/quote]

All the foods you stated are what I love! I have cut out all junk. And yes I know how fish is good for us.

Snagg1
                          Send PM

My mom has Fibro and Lupus… I will tell her about this.

Oh,that's a tough combination.She must be one tough lady.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.