Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Recipes Homemade Apple Pie?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  craftysprinkles 7 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

Hey girls, with Thanksgiving coming up quickly I thought I'd check to see if any of you had any AMAZING apple pie recipes? I've NEVER made an apple pie and would like to try.

If you have a recipe can you please post? Keep in mind, I am CLUELESS ON ALL ASPECTS – I don't even know how to make a crust! Help?

Krissy you can buy the crust!!!!!

Snagg1
        Send PM

I highly recommend the book The Dessert Bible by Christopher Kimball. He breaks down baking amazing desserts and the recipes are awesome. He explains his reasonings behind all of his recipes and gives great alteatives. His apple pie recipe is awesome and pretty easy to make. He even calls it Apple Pie for Idiots 🙂 I can post the recipe later when I'm back at home.

I make this one 3 times a year…It is always requested. The trick is to use apples that are best for baking. Jonathans, Honeycrisp ,Granny Smith,Melrose,Cortland,Gala,Rome Beauty…some apples fall apart and get mushy…So pick a nice tart apple like the ones mentioned. I always mix Gala, Johnathan and Rome, because they are usually easy for me to find. Trust me, I have tried many apple pie recipes, this one is sooooo good!!

2-1/4 cups flour
        1 tsp. salt
        1 cup shortening (crisco)
        5 to 7 Tbsp. ice cold water
        6 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 4-5 large apples)
        2/4 cup sugar
        1/3 cup brown sugar
        1 1/2 Tbsp. costarch
        1/2 tsp vanilla
        1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
        1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
        1 tablespoon butter chilled
        1 Tbsp. lemon juice (optional)

PREHEAT oven to 400°F. Mix flour and salt in large bowl. Cut in shortening using a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

ADD water, 1 Tbsp. at a time, mixing lightly with fork until flour mixture is evenly moistened and clings together when pressed into a ball. Divide dough in half; shape each half into 1/2-inch-thick round. Wrap each dough round in plastic wrap; refrigerate 15 min.

MEANWHILE, toss apples with sugar, costarch, cinnamon, nutmeg,vanilla and lemon juice in large bowl; set aside. Place 1 dough round between two large sheets of plastic wrap; roll out dough with rolling pin to flatten slightly, working from center of dough to the edge. Tu over; continue rolling until dough round is about 2 inches larger than diameter of inverted 9-inch pie plate.

PEEL off top piece of plastic wrap; invert dough into pie plate. Peel off remaining piece of plastic wrap; press dough evenly onto bottom and up side of pie plate, being careful not to stretch the dough. Trim any dough hanging over edge of pie plate with sharp knife or kitchen shears; reserve trimmings.

FILL with apple mixture and top with some of the chilled butter by breaking off little pieces and sprinkling on top; set aside. Roll out remaining dough as directed; place over filling. Trim top crust about 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold edge of top crust under edge of bottom crust; pinch edges together to form a ridge. Flute edge (see Tip). Cut several slits near center of pie to allow steam to escape. With the remaining pie dough, you could cut out shapes (I do little maple leaves with my cookie cutter) and adhere to top crust with a little beaten egg white.

BAKE 45 to 50 min. or until juices form bubbles that burst slowly. Cool.
        Serve warm with a dollop of vanilla ice cream on top!!

And if you are adventurous, you could do a lattice topping!! And if your not that adventurous, you could buy a store bought crust, but I cant promise it will come out as good!!

Enjoy

[img:width=450&height=300]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1289153275_55_FT48097_applepie.jpg[/img]

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

man I can always count on you Lisa, THANK YOU!!!! I'm going to attempt this! Wish me luck!

If you do buy a store bought crust, I recommend Mrs.Smiths flaky crust pie shells. They come 2 to a pack, you could use one for the top, you just have to have it at room temperature so that it rolls out slightly. It can be found in the frozen section.

craftysprinkles
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

Awesome Lisa! This is pretty much exactly the recipe I use (except I don't really use a recipe) because it's how my mother taught me to make apple pie. It'll tu out great Krissy! Are you going to do a trial run? KUP!

craftysprinkles
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

mmmm! Yummy! You can do it Krissy!!!!

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

Oh, that does look good 🙂

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

craftysprinkles
                Swirly Scrapper
                  Send PM

Wow, that looks so good. I am lucky- dh loves to bake, so I am excused from that! He leaed from his mom, who makes AWESOME pies!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.