Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Photography how to photograph lay outs

This topic contains 15 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  LindaDriggs 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Snagg1
      Send PM

How does everyone photograph their lay outs to look so straight on? Being short, putting them on the table for great lighting doesn't quite work. Should I put them on the floor? Any suggestions welcomed.

I put them on the deck and stand right over them during a sunny day. I did get an Ott light so now I can take them inside on the floor with the Ott light over the lo.

craftysprinkles
      Swirly Scrapper
        Send PM

On the floor like Jan, but I put them in front of french doors.
        Lisa once mentioned not putting them in direct sunlight, and that does make a difference with the shadows. (I adjust the lighting in PhotoShop.)

Joy, how short? (I'm 4'10.)

Snagg1
          Send PM

Thanks, Peggy I have you beat 5'2 (yes, eyes of blue). Husband 6'1, sons 6'2 and 6'4. Always looking up, lol.

craftysprinkles
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

Joy, my sister is 1/2 taller than me (and she never lets me forget it!!!!); her husband is over 6'. Her daughters are about 5'5 or 6, her son is 6'.
            My husband was 5'4, so our sons are 5'5, 54 and 51'.

I am 4'11 and my oldest daughter is 4'9, my youngest is 5'1…hubby is 5'3….so no tall kids from this family…LOL

I set them on a chair and then I sit on the floor so that I can look at them straight on. I am not skilled eough to look down at them.

craftysprinkles
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

I am 4'11 and my oldest daughter is 4'9, my youngest is 5'1…hubby is 5'3….so no tall kids from this family…LOL

Sooooo glad to see that I'm not alone, LOL!!!!!!

[quote]

Sooooo glad to see that I'm not alone, LOL!!!!!!
              [/quote]
              I'm 5'3, my oldest is 5'2 and my youngest dd is 4'3 (yes, 4'3!) and my son, the baby of the family is 6'. DH is 5'9. Both daughters wish they were a little taller! I also lay my LO's on the floor, in front of a north window, and take my pictures.

Oh yes, I put mine (lo's) on the floor too!

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

I put my layouts on the floor in front of a glass door. But, it has to be the right time a day for the right kind of light.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

I do it both ways depending on the time of day

I put mine on a white board on the floor or I photograph them vertically on the white board.
                You can correct the distortion from photographing over them (if they are on the floor and you are standing over them) in PSE. You use the IMAGE > distort> menu and then you pull the coers and sides of your layout to square it.

Every layout I photograph gets edited for color, lighting etc and cropped and sometimes I add a boost action to it because sometimes those edits are not always enough to do the colors of the layout justice.

Krissy
                Krissy
                Swirly Admin
                  Send PM

Whatever you do, don't use a flash. I also use natural light in front of some larger windows. Since I live in Oregon, I don't always have the best days to photograph my layouts.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

I take them outside, early moing or late afteoon..No direct sunlight…Stand over them, natural light…Then edit in Photoshop CS2-5…Use the warp tool to get the edges straightened. But if you are dead on straight over it, you have very little to straighten it out. Then I color correct if needed, and use Topaz Adjust 4.0 to bring out the lost detail, and boost color to my liking.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.