Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Photography I Need a Camera…What do I get?????

This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  GlitterGirl 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Snagg1
      Send PM

I want a new camera for my bday and I'm totally confused & overwhelmed by all the choices. Do I get a SLR or do I get a Bridge Camera instead. How much better are SLR photos vs. ones from a bridge camera? Can you even tell? What brand, etc. is the best to get? Please help…any suggestions or likes/dislikes you have about your own cameras would be appreciated. I want to purchase on Black Friday. Thanks!!

Wow, I haven't heard the term Bridge camera in years!!. Not since my SLR days.
      Tina, It depends on what you want, how much are you willing to spend and what you plan on leaing. If you just want a point and shoot,Anything Nikon or Canon is wonderful. If you just want to take great high quality pictures without the leaing curve, a point and shoot is your best bet. Straight out of the box they are easy to lea as everything is automatic. Sometimes you just set the white balance according to your light source, but it is usually in picture form on your buttons. If you want to get more adventurous, a DSLR is a great starting point to lea automatic, then be able to shoot manual as you become comfortable with settings such as Aperture, Shutter, Fstops ect…
      I will list a couple in each category to start. My thought is a basic DSLR with great automatic capabilities is the way to go, and wont break the bank.

oops list didnt come up…
      Well for point and shoot Canon has the Powershot series and Nikon has the Coolpix series. They come in different megapixel sizes.
      Most people who don't know much about cameras think the more megapixels you have the better quality pics you will produce. That is only true if you are blowing your pictures up to larger than 11 x 14. Really? 3.5 – 5 megapixels is all you will really need for everyday photo shots. I cant tell quality taken from a 3.5 megapixe l camera compared to a 18 megapixel camera in a 4×6 inch print. You just don't see it. Both are very sharp.

Snagg1
        Send PM

Hi Lisa,
        Thanks so much for the info. I love to take pics and try different angles, etc. Photography fasinates me and I'd love to lea more. Right now, I have a Sony point and shoot that I've had for several years. The compact size is great, but the screen is too small. Also, the lighting never seems to be right….it could be user-error…not sure. We travel to the Caribbean alot, so I take alot of beach and landscape pics. I also like to take pics of my 2 cats. I love beautiful photographs…ones where it evokes a feeling.

What do you use?

Snagg1
          Send PM

Oh, also want a camera to take great shots in a low lighting situation. Not wanting to spend over $800.

Snagg1
            Send PM

Tina, I have a Canon EOS Rebel and LOVE IT!!! I have 4 additional lenses for it.

Hi Lisa,
            Thanks so much for the info. I love to take pics and try different angles, etc. Photography fasinates me and I'd love to lea more. Right now, I have a Sony point and shoot that I've had for several years. The compact size is great, but the screen is too small. Also, the lighting never seems to be right….it could be user-error…not sure. We travel to the Caribbean alot, so I take alot of beach and landscape pics. I also like to take pics of my 2 cats. I love beautiful photographs…ones where it evokes a feeling.

What do you use?

Tina, I have 2 Nikon D300's and a D70s. I have 6 lens's that are interchangeable. I do photography on the side and have a lot of equipment. I still have my Nikon 35mm F3HP. I gave the D70 to my daughter and I am in the process of looking for a new camera. I am in no hurry, just waiting for the latest and greatest to come out. I got to play with a friends Canon EOS 5D Mark II Digital SLR Camera, which is equivalent to my D300, but the Canon is full frame like the Nikon D700. Full frame is more like a 35mm format if you are familiar with those camera's. I do a lot of photography, weddings babies seniors family portraits, so I rely heavily on my camera and equipment. Just remember, it is not always the best camera that gets you the best results, a lot of it has to do with the one behind the lens. I have done wonders with my 3 megapixel Fugi.

I am dabbling into photography. hubby is willing to get me a canon d60. he thinks i will want another one soon though? I'm not planning on doing weddings or tons of photo sessions probably just my kids lol! what do you think about the camera?? we have done some research and we really like the video capabilities too. I know a little bit about tuing off the auto selection hehe!! my little point and shoot i am always having to play around with the iso and color…. lol. anyways what do you think?

I'm a Canon EOS Rebel (T2i) girl like Lisa V. The reason I bought it is because it takes great indoor shots (aka low lighting). Since I am no photo expert… this camera was the easiest for me to use.

Snagg1
              Send PM

Tiffany, I've had the same Rebel EOS for 3 or 4 years now. I could probably get another one, but the megapixels are like 10 or 12, or something, and that is more than adequate.

Besides, you can buy extra lenses and all kinds of goodies for the DSLR cameras.

thats what i keep telling hubby…. i don't want to take professional shots or become a photographer…. but he thinks if i get a rebel i will get tired of it. lol. idk i can't justify that money on a camera i would rather spend less and use the difference on scrap goodies hehee!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.