Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Just Stuff If I hear..

This topic contains 20 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Krissy Krissy 7 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

One more person say the R word..I'm going to slap them upside their head whether i know them or not.

I am SO sick of people taking this word so lightly. Especially younger people. Working with children with special needs, this just rubs me so wrong. I'm at wal mart and there are these 2 kids..about 12 or so I would guess. One of them says out loud to the other..You're so retarded

So I tued around and said to them..Do you know how ugly that word is? They walked away..probably off to tell their mom that there is a crazy lady in aisle 12….

Ok vent over.

It's not a word to be taken lightly, but it's a word that gets thrown around like it means nothing. I agree and I am guilty of using it myself, when I know it's wrong to do so.

Snagg1
      Send PM

Testify!

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

OKay, I am SOOOO with you on this!!!
        For awhile, my father was remarriend and from 1st grade to 6th grade I had a step-brother with Downs Syndrome….. so I'm alittle more sensitive to this than others….

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

I'm so with you!!! My brother has Downs Syndrome so I'm ultra sensitive to the word. When I was in high school I actually slapped a guy for using it.

What's worse, I heard a mother call her 6 year old daughter a retard. A perfectly normal kid. I swear if looks could kill!!!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

craftysprinkles
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

I am extra sensitive to that word too. People in public have called Owen retarded or a retard because he has CP and Autism. I know that the word gets tossed around lightly, and I think that it is everyones' responsibility to pipe up how wrong it is when they hear it, so THANK YOU, DENISE.
            Another word that kids, and adults too, use that makes me crazy is gay. I would flip when kids in my classroom used it. Gay does not mean LAME. I just wish that people would think before they say these hurtful words.

I agree with you! As the mother of a special needs child, (well, she's an adult now) and as a special ed para for 7 years, it just amazes me now insensitive some people can be! People can be so careless and thoughtless with the words they throw around!

I hear you. My uncle had Downs. I grew up with that…even kicked a man in the shin when I was 8 for calling him the r word. lol My grandma was pretty proud of me.

I wish I could of introduce my son when he was young to children with special needs like I've done with my dd. Maybe then he'd be a little more sensitive to the word too. He and his friends are 19 and they do it too..drives me nuts. I told him the next time I hear that word in my presence, he owes me a buck. After about 5 dollars he quit saying it in front of me. Tho I'm sure they still do it to each other.

Shell..totally know what you mean hun. I think it's just such an old school word that it's just taken so lightly sometimes. Like you could never get my mother in law who is in her late 80's to not use it. It's all she knows even when I've tried to correct her. She even asked me if i was going to be a 'Retard in front of my dd after I was being tested for MS. I about flipped.

I agree with you all. People can be so cruel. I made sure that all the kids in my classroom understood that we were all family at school. Everyone would be treated with respect and love. Sometimes that was the only safe place that kids had to go.

I totally agree. Nothing gets me more upset than when I hear someone using that word. I work as a RN with special need kids…and I also provide respite care for a friend whose dd has Downs. The young man that I took care of for two years (he passed away two years ago)…he was 22…on a ventilator and was Cognitively 12. He was the sweetest young man.
            He always lit up the room. Now I take care of a new young man…he is 16..and he has a vent…but that is all…and we were out walking ..and some teenage boy yelled out that word. I made that kid stop…and I educated him there on the spot. Both my kids have been lucky enough to be around all my patients…and those I have provided respite care for. They both are very aware of special needs. My older son's PE teacher and even emailed me once…saying how in his 10 years of teaching he had never seen a young boy stand up and help someone…like my son had. I was SUPER Proud. Education….is the key.

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

So, there have been a LOT of discussions on this subject lately. =o)

Did anyone see the last episode of Parenthood? This show details the life and experiences of a family who has a child with Aspergers (on the Autism spectrum). Aspergers is a high funtioning type of Autism. In this episode they deal with the R word. Quite well too in my opinion.
              You can watch the clip of the scene here – http://www.nbc.com/parenthood/video/ep-208-i-hit-a-guy/1259062/

There is also a movement called Spread the word to End the word. You can find that information here – http://www.facebook.com/EndtheWord

Of course this subject is very near and dear to my heart for reasons just like a lot of you. In fact, DH is so worried about how I will react when someone does say this word to Mason within my ear shot that he's taken special precautions so that the person with the mouth can't touch Swirlydoos when I knock them f*cking senseless and go to jail. =o)
              Great topic guys!

It's not a word to be taken lightly, but it's a word that gets thrown around like it means nothing. I agree and I am guilty of using it myself, when I know it's wrong to do so.

We all do things we know are wrong sometimes. I wouldn't want to go into all my faults. I can remember when my kids were young…and I heard this mother tell her child to SHUT UP….I couldn't believe it…lol. Then my kids got older…and I lets just say….shut up is a phrase I have used…lol.

I don't judge anyone anymore…because it always seems to come back and bite me harder…LOL.

My kids aren't allowed to say that word. We have special needs members in our family, and I never liked that word either.

They are not allowed to say shut up either…We never told them to shut up…We said church voice please…
              But Gay is used despite the fact that they know the true meaning. I think the kids in school use it so loosely that it just became a definition in the urban dictionary that they deemed acceptable. I still don't like it though.

Many hugs to all you wonderful parents as you cope day to day with ignorant and rude people. God gave you the grace to rise above those ignorant fools and when that fails you have high heels to stomp on them.

Seriously, you ladies are heros.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.