Home Forums Scrap Chat Challenges June SGC – ** Updated With Winner, page 3 ** Mix, Match & Mixed Media

This topic contains 64 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  odiammy 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • Author

craftysprinkles
    Swirly Scrapper
      Send PM

Hello ladies! I will be your SGC hostess for June.

Krissy puts together such lovely, coordinated kits that it’s easy to just scrap straight out of the box and I sometimes think that my own coordinating skills are getting atrophied. So my first challenge to you all this month is to mix and match. Use elements from at least three separate kits (for the purpose of the challenge I’m defining a “kit” as the main kit plus any of the Add-Ons for that month – so the main kit and embellishment kit for June 2012 will just count as one kit).

Like many of my Swirly sisters, I’ve been having a lot of fun experimenting with mixed media, so my second challenge is to incorporate some mixed media element into your layout, card or OTP project.

But wait! I want newbies to feel free to jump right in, too. If you have less than five Swirly kits, you can use elements from your stash to count towards up to 2 of your kits, however both elements have to be from different manufacturers. If you have elements in your stash that you purchased independently but were in previous Swirlydoos kits, I’ll count it. We would love to have you join us – challenges are a great way to grow and to get positive feedback on your work.

The rules:

– Use elements from at least 3 kits (or 1 or 2 kits plus elements from different manufacturers for newbies)
      – Use one or more mixed media element (including but not limited to paint, gesso, alcohol inks, Distress Pens or Stains, Distress Inks used for something other than distressing your edges, molding paste, crystal gel, glass beads, artist stucco, embossing powder, etc…
      – Must contain 50% Swirlydoos goodies
      – You may submit more than one project
      – Any kind of project is welcome – layout, OTP, card, etc…
      – Your project must be new for this challenge
      – Your project can be used for more than one challenge

Twists:

Extra points will be awarded for the following
      o Elements from 4 – 5 kits – 1 bonus point
      o Elements from 6 – 7 kits – 2 bonus points
      o Elements from 8 – 9 kits – 3 bonus points
      o Elements from 10+ kits – 1 extra bonus point for each additional kit
      o 2 – 3 Mixed Media Elements – 1 bonus point
      o 4+ Mixed Media Elements – 1 extra bonus point for each additional element

Please post here and also in the Gallery under Member Hosted Challenges “SGC Challenges” and include in the title “June SGC Mix & Match”. If you have Gallery issues, please post in the Technical Support thread and someone should be able to get you sorted out.

You have until midnight MST on June 30th to upload your project. The winner will be selected by random draw by July 3rd (the 1st is a long weekend here in Canada and I’ll be away) and will receive a RAK from me.

Here is my example. I used elements from 8 different kits and 3 mixed media elements (3 types of embossing powders, alcohol inks on foil tape and metallic paint).

[img:width=600&height=597]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1338576775_876_FT0_swirlydoos_sgc_06-2012_hostess_.jpg[/img]

craftysprinkles
      Swirly Scrapper
        Send PM

Great challenge, Jackie!

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

Great challenge and awesome example!!

Wow, Jackie! This is a great challenge! It is going to make me really scratch my head and think! LOL! Your example LO is gorgeous!

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

Wow, What a great challenge and a beautiful lo Jackie..

AWESOME Layout!! You are much more on top of your challenge than I am, I better get myself straight!

Love this, but I am not sure if I would even remember like 8 kits ago!! I will give this a go!

Wow Jackie!! This is so creatively beautiful!!! love, love love it!!

craftysprinkles
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

Thank you, ladies! I had a great time making it. I hope you will all have a go at playing along.

craftysprinkles
              Swirly Scrapper
                Send PM

Talk about CHALLENGE!!!
                Need to go deep into the Swirly vault & see what I can find. Hmmmmmm…………..

In the meantime, Jackie, your example is one stunning piece of eye candy, with so much detail and so much creativity!!!!!

Thanks for the challenge and thanks even more for the inspiration!!!

Great challenge and an awesome example. So much from different kits you have manage to use.

I just got my fifth kit, but I will try this challenge and see if I can find stuff from them to use together.

Krissy
                Krissy
                Swirly Admin
                  Send PM

Great challenge and you sample is gorgeous!

This LO is of my son Brandon and my husband's father. We had prof pics taken this past x-mas with the entire family (all 21 of us) and the photographer got this great shot of grandfather and grandson

The poem reads

A boy needs his Grandpa…
                  For man-to-man talks,
                  To go hand in hand
                  on companionable walks.

To fix up his toys
                  when they no longer go,
                  To tell him the things
                  little boys want to know

A boy needs his grandpa…
                  To sit on his lap
                  And if no one is looking
                  They take a wee nap.

As time goes on slowly
                  Their bond still grows
                  Each smiling gently
                  At something only they know.

I found the poem on-line by an unknown author, but change some of it to make it fit these two better

I used 4 kits of this layout – sorry i do not have them labeled, but thee are some parts from the may kit

for the mixed media i used – shimmer paint, gesso, ink (an not just for the edges) i smeared it in with the gesso, stitching (not sure if that counts), perfect pearls but not in the normal way, i smeared it in with the paint and gesso to make the dark dirty/grungy spots, and alcohol inks

enjoy!!

[img:width=600&height=591]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1339381772_18_FT159440_grandpa_is.._.jpg[/img]

craftysprinkles
                  Swirly Scrapper
                    Send PM

Wow, Erin, that's inky, grungy, gorgeousness! Love it. And the poem is so fitting. The machine stitching is such a nice touch, and I love your treatment of the Prima resin coers.

Gorgeous LO, Erin! Love all the stitching, inking, DA and how you did the joualing!

Krissy
                    Krissy
                    Swirly Admin
                      Send PM

Fabulous layout Erin, love the inking, and stitching!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.