Home Forums Tutorials, Tips, Tricks and Techniques Tips, Tricks & Techniques Layering and clustering tutorial

This topic contains 78 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  odiammy 5 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
  • Author

Today I am going to share how I work with layering and clustering. For the tutorial I have made this layout with a photo of one of my dear nieces.

Tre.jpg

First of all I layer the papers I am going to use close to the photo. I flip them around til I am satisfied. If the papers are very patteed and/or colourful I often use a more neutral paper right undeeath the photo, since it makes it easier to find flowers in the right colours. The Glitz note papers that came with the May kit is perfect to use.

Tre1.jpg

Then I work with the background. It has to work well with the papers I have chosen for the photo. This time I chose a dark background since it will make the other gorgeous papers to pop. But to make a transit I also make a border with papers in green and orange. The white large border is to make the b/w photo show off. I often tend to use 3-4 colours on my layouts. This time they are green, orange and white.

Tre2.jpg

As you can see I already have multiple layers just in papers. But it's also nice to fool the eyes in more ways. By distressing the edges and add pieces of lace you get a sense of additional layers.

Tre3.jpg

Also, by adding 3d foam pads between the layers you create more dimension and it also makes it easier to tuck embellishments in between the layers.

Tre4.jpg

Fabric adds more layers to your layouts. Here I have added a lace border and also a bow out of the green ribbon that came with the May kit.

Tre5.jpg

Now I have finished the actual design of the page. I really love the orange and green together!

Tre6.jpg

Embellishments… The white chipboard frames are tucked in between layers. To accent the photo I used one of the frames from Petaloo. I wanted to keep it white, but stamped it with a text stamp. Now I am a flower addict and don't usually add a lot of other embellishments. I often frame the photo with flowers arranged in clusters. I usually begin with a large flower and then build the cluster around that flower. Here you can see that I have arranged the large flowers. By placing one flower on top of the photo and tuck another undeeath you create a lot of dimension.

Tre7.jpg

Then I pick smaller flowers to put around the larger ones. These smaller ones are from the April kit.

Tre8.jpg

I also love bling! Perfect to highlight the gorgeous flowers. This bling swirl is from the April kit. I also fancy leaves, as you can see.

Tre9.jpg

Here is the other flower cluster. And I have also added the title on top of the photo, which has created yet another layer.

Tre10.jpg

I hope you enjoyed my tutorial. If you make a layout focusing on layering and/or clustering I hope you will share it in this thread and make sure to add some tip for the rest of us.

Snagg1
      Send PM

Camilla you did an awesome job!!! I love the idea of 3-d foam between the layers. You did a great job with this!!!

BTW~ gorgeous page <3

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

Beautiful page Camilla! Your clusters are gorgeous! The photo just pops right off the page!!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Amazing Camilla – both in clustering and layering. And that Martha punch is gorgeous in white. I LOVE that punch. I Jen-Abled my girlfriend to buy it last week, with some gentle but necessary persuasion.

Outstanding page

Need I say beautiful? I always have trouble with layering and making the clusters…This tutorial is awesome and just what I needed!
        I'm going to copy it to the T and hopefully I'll get the process down…
        Well almost to the T lol I do not have that punch..but I can find something similar :o)

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

I moost have that punch, don't know thatI've noticed it before but it is gorgeous!!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

I don't even need to be Jen-ABled, I can do this alone!!!

I moost have that punch, don't know thatI've noticed it before but it is gorgeous!!

ohhh Maggi – I find that punch actually very versatile like I find that large Martha scallop fan punch. It really is so much prettier in real life. (Jen-Able mode but I am always sincere)

Need I say beautiful? I always have trouble with layering and making the clusters…This tutorial is awesome and just what I needed!
            I'm going to copy it to the T and hopefully I'll get the process down…
            Well almost to the T lol I do not have that punch..but I can find something similar :o)

Ohhhh Barbara, but you will have that punch someday. It really is just perfect for the extra little effect that any page needs.

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

Does M's carry that punch?

Ohhhh yeah baby they do. Bring your 40% off and off you go.

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

I hope my stinky little M's has it!!

lol Maggie! My M's is stinky also..thank goodness we have an archivers nearby. All of the little scrapbook store have closed down. I miss them but, I don't really need them now that I have swirlys! lol

Girls Lisa and I are in the chat room

craftysprinkles
                Swirly Scrapper
                  Send PM

Camilla, thanks so much!!!!!! Gorgeous layout, awesome tut, & thanks for the tips about the lace and the foam dots (I never thought of that; what a great way to add dimension!!!)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.