Home Forums Scrap Chat Ask the Designers Layering

This topic contains 33 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Snagg1 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author

So…I need to know how you guys leaed to layer. I do so well with techniques, (making flowers, hand making embellies,etc..but..when I get to the actual putting it down..I fail

I now have 7 lo's started and none completed. I have spent hours upon hours browsing my favorite scrapbookers blog, going over details..trying to determine how they make it all work..but still..when I get to try again to put mine together..nothing I do looks right..

I was in the frame of mind that ok…I'll start copying and scraplifting the designers here..but I really do not want to do a knock off..I want to make my own..

Did any of you great designers ever struggle in the beginning and how on earth did you ever get things to finally have that ah..ahhhh! moment?

Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

Barbara, I'm not a great designer but I did struggle in the beginning with layers, flowers etc. I still struggle that's why it takes me so long to complete a LO ! I did what you did and just kept trying different placement, different sizes mixed together with different patteed paper. Doing some scraplifting helps to give you the feel; it's not a knock off we all do it to a certain extent

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

Barbara, what issues are you having with layering?

When I first came here I didn't do a lot of layers. Scraplifting the layouts I liked helped me get the hang of layering.

Well, I don't layer much, mostly because I like misting and masking to show! When I do layer, I just play with it until I like it. It does take forever, but I usually love the outcome.

I start from the layer under the picture and work down towards the base, but others work from the base up, find what works best for you!

craftysprinkles
        Swirly Scrapper
          Send PM

Are you having issues with the different pattes together? Or, are you stuck with the different sizes of papers to use in the layers?
          I think it does help to look at sketches or someone else's layout that you just love, and cut the paper you want to use in the approximate sizes and just play. And, it's not a knock off, Barbara, if you use someone else's layering as a guide for what you want to do. It's still going to be YOURS when you decide what pattes/colors to pair up and place. I wouldn't get hung up on that. Like Kathi said, I think we all do that to a certain extent, even if we don't know it- if we are all looking at what everyone else is doing, especially using the same papers, we are bound to replicate each other's work in some way, even if we don't have an example sitting in front of our faces. 🙂

I'm still a beginner when it comes to layering and clustering. I use the gorgeous examples posted here to help me get going on a layout, and then rely on what looks good to my eye. Sometimes I'll play with a few layers, set the page aside and come back later to see if it still works or I need to change something. My DH helps me in this too; he's not a scrapper but he can look at something and tell me if it isn't working, something is off-kilter, it's too much, etc…. so I rely on him if I'm really stuck and frustated with something. If you don't have someone IRL to help, post pictures here and I'm sure you'll get tons of advice and suggestions!

When I look at a page I'm working on I will close my eyes for a few seconds the open them and see where my eyes naturally gravitate to first. It should always be the photo(s), so if the embellies, flowers, layers, etc. are where my eyes are going then I revamp the entire page. I don't like pages with only one small photo and a lot of white space, so I tend to shy away from that style entirely…. it's rare for me to do a page with only one photo… but this is something I want to get comfortable with and the Siwrly girls are great inspiration for that.

craftysprinkles
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

Yes, Barbara- we have a scrap clinic forum. Feel free to post your pages in progress! It helps if you don't have anything glued down when you post your work in the scrap clinic in case you like someone's suggestion and want to use it! 🙂

Snagg1
              Send PM

I'm not that great at layers either, but I feel like I have my moments. 🙂

Lots of great suggestions here. Barb, I would say that maybe should take a look at the tutorial Camilla posted on layering a while back. It really helped a lot of people. I would also suggest literally copying a page just so that you can get a feel for how that person layered their page. Check out some of the Anatomy threads, too. There are some really great pages in that thread that employ layering.

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

Lots of great suggestions here. Barb, I would say that maybe should take a look at the tutorial Camilla posted on layering a while back. It really helped a lot of people. I would also suggest literally copying a page just so that you can get a feel for how that person layered their page. Check out some of the Anatomy threads, too. There are some really great pages in that thread that employ layering.

Surely you jest! I use your layouts as layering inspiration quite often.

Barb, Lisa makes a good suggestion about the layering tut by Camilla. It is layed out so simply and with great pictures. I have used it a couple of time myself.

Krissy
                Krissy
                Swirly Admin
                  Send PM

I have troubles with layering too and I tend to check out everyone else layouts to give me a general idea and then move and shift everything around until I get something I like. Most often I will leave it like that oveight and then when I look at it in the moing and if I still like it, then I'll start gluing things down.

craftysprinkles
                  Swirly Scrapper
                    Send PM

[quote]

Surely you jest! I use your layouts as layering inspiration quite often.

Barb, Lisa makes a good suggestion about the layering tut by Camilla. It is layed out so simply and with great pictures. I have used it a couple of time myself.
                    [/quote]
                    Ditto on both counts!!!! I cannot tell you how often I look at Lisa's pages for inspiration!!!!
                    And that tut by Camilla is fantastic!!!!

Barbara, we all lift from time to time. Usually what starts off as a lift develops a mind of its own and ends up quite different, sometimes not, but this is how we've all leaed layering and all other ways of design.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think doing the Anatomy of a Layout is a great idea and I will start doing that.

I will post a pic of one of the LO's I've been working on using the Antiquities Kit and embellishment add on today and see if anyone has any suggestions..believe me..it needs some lol

Are you having issues with the different pattes together? Or, are you stuck with the different sizes of papers to use in the layers?
                    I think it does help to look at sketches or someone else's layout that you just love, and cut the paper you want to use in the approximate sizes and just play. And, it's not a knock off, Barbara, if you use someone else's layering as a guide for what you want to do. It's still going to be YOURS when you decide what pattes/colors to pair up and place. I wouldn't get hung up on that. Like Kathi said, I think we all do that to a certain extent, even if we don't know it- if we are all looking at what everyone else is doing, especially using the same papers, we are bound to replicate each other's work in some way, even if we don't have an example sitting in front of our faces. 🙂

Really great advice in this thread and i agree with Rae – take a look at some of your fave artist's galleries and how they place pattes together and achieve layers. for some it is with paints and techniques, others cheesecloth or lace, for me I love doilies (fabric and paper) and heavy distressing. All depends on your scrap style preference.

Snagg1
                      Send PM

[quote] [quote] I'm not that great at layers either, but I feel like I have my moments. 🙂 Lots of great suggestions here. Barb, I would say that maybe should take a look at the tutorial Camilla posted on layering a while back. It really helped a lot of people. I would also suggest literally copying a page just so that you can get a feel for how that person layered their page. Check out some of the Anatomy threads, too. There are some really great pages in that thread that employ layering.

Surely you jest! I use your layouts as layering inspiration quite often. Barb, Lisa makes a good suggestion about the layering tut by Camilla. It is layed out so simply and with great pictures. I have used it a couple of time myself. [/quote]

Ditto on both counts!!!! I cannot tell you how often I look at Lisa's pages for inspiration!!!! And that tut by Camilla is fantastic!!!! Barbara, we all lift from time to time. Usually what starts off as a lift develops a mind of its own and ends up quite different, sometimes not, but this is how we've all leaed layering and all other ways of design. [/quote]

LMBO!!  You are both cracking me up and I am humbled, truly.  *blushing*  Thank you!!

craftysprinkles
                      Swirly Scrapper
                        Send PM

Any idea of where to find the layering tutorial by Camilla? I've looked through the forum, but I can't seem to find anything 🙁

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.