Home Forums Scrap Chat SQOTW SQOTW 5/8/17 Let's talk about photos.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Kathi Kathi 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    droopidog
    droopidog
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

Here’s something I’ve been wondering lately, as I’ve seen a lot of it. I’ve seen a lot of absolutely stunning layouts lately, that have these amazing photos on them. Turns out a lot of them are “stock” photos or photos from Pinterest or other places. I have even seen a couple of different people use the same photo. What’s your take on using “the perfect” photo?

• This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by droopidog droopidog.

Kim
      My Blog: http://droopidog.typepad.com/my_life_up_close_and_pers/

"Puff, Puff, Pass"

droopidog
      droopidog
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

I have used stock photos before, but for a particular purpose.

I think it’s easy to make a stunning layout using a photo that is hand picked to match your paper and embellishments. Doesn’t make it wrong, but where is the creativity? Isn’t it more fun to push yourself in finding the right mix with a photo you have an emotional connection too?

Just my thoughts.

Kim
        My Blog: http://droopidog.typepad.com/my_life_up_close_and_pers/

"Puff, Puff, Pass"

Merrihew
        Merrihew
        Swirly Scrapper
          Send PM

I always have plenty of photos of my grandkids to scrap and old family photos, so I just keep plugging away at those, hoping to catch up one day! LOL! I do think that for a couple of challenges, I might have used a stock photo. Once it was provided for the challenge, and the other time I think we were asked to scrap our place we like to go. So, I guess at times, it is necessary to use a stock photo.

msjan1
          msjan1
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

Yep, used a stock photo twice for RR when it was something about a dream. One was a place you would like to visit and another was what you would do with a million dollars. Soooo…stock photos were required. I, also, found a stock photo I wanted to scrap and now it is a framed piece to decorated my scrap room (which was the intent). Other than that, I don’t think I have. And, don’t really like it. At that point it is not scrapping but solely crafting. Know what I mean?
            I guess it’s ok if you it’s presented as crafting and not scrapping. Maybe I’m being a butt here.

Peggy
            Peggy
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

Great question, Kim!!!
              I’m fortunate to have a lot of photos to choose from: heritage photos of my family, old snapshots from my childhood, more snapshots of my kids’ growing up years, vacation pics and (thanks to my DIL) lots and lots of images of the grandchildren.
              But here’s the thing: We joke about insisting that the subjects of the photo shoot wear clothes that coordinate with our paper and embellies… In a way, I think that’s what we all seem to do. I examine the papers, next the embellies and trims and doodads and then I think of the pictures that I own.
              Jan, you’re not being a butt with your observation, I just don’t know where scrapping ends and crafting begins and vice versa.
              This month, I used several pictures from Easter; but every one of them coordinates (in my mind) with the elements of the layout. I also used last year’s Swirly Camp group photo. It’s been in my “to scrap” folder for quite a while and the papers and flowers and the chippie frame seemed to be just what I wanted.
              On the other hand, I mostly used photos that were taken last summer and a few that were quite a bit older, something to do with the colors and patterns.
              I have used stock photos from time to time – again, something about the papers etc says “vintage” in a way that my own heritage photos don’t match and here I guess it’s all about design…

A clean house is the sign of a lazy scrapper.

Kathi
              Kathi
              Swirly Scrapper
                Send PM

I use stock photos quite since I no longer have grandchildren around or traveling. In my humble opinion scraping is crafting; I think they are one in the same we’re crafting with paper!

take time to smell the roses

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.