Home Forums Scrap Chat Ask the Designers masculine embellies

This topic contains 39 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Snagg1 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author

I need help with some ideas. I have a layout due by next Saturday. I want to use the July kit, but with photos of my son on his graduation. He is wearing a black suit. I need some ideas on masculine embellishments and flowers etc. I love doing girly layouts, but boy ones are a real struggle for me!
    Any ideas?

craftysprinkles
    Swirly Scrapper
      Send PM

I am all about greenery on a guy layout. I usually buy plants at M's and tear them apart.

Maybe make some vines or flourishes in black…maybe in metal. Using greenery is a good idea too. How about some of the TH word tokens?

I kind of roughed up the flowers in this one and used colors that werent so girly…As far as embellies, antiqued keys and that sort would do.

[img:width=600&height=596]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1280051232_55_FT15157_you_mean_the_world_to_me_sm_.jpg[/img]

Snagg1
        Send PM

Bonnie you can also use embossing powder to give a leathery look to things. First you distress the hell out of your object, then ink it all up. I use my little man (aka mini mister…get it? LOL) and my distress inks to give all of the paper embellie an uneven look with wrinkles, then I go back over it with the blending tool to add more shading in some ares. Then take clear embossing power and go over the entire project. Your done! The finished project has a great leathery look it. It's fun to use monochromatic stamping, or very muted inks on your stamps to make it look like your leather has more detail.

I like to use metal on male lo's. (the ten second studio kind) You can emboss and distress it and use it for flowers and borders. Other ideas are zippers, cording, twine, gears, washers, staples, leather buttons. Crackle paint on chipboard is good too. 🙂

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

Am I the only one that make boy LO and girl LO the same way?
          Well, not having the option of doing the 'girly' ones and wanting to use all my 'pretties', I've had to improvise…. but stilll…. nothing wrong flowers on a boy LO…..

craftysprinkles
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

Bonnie you can also use embossing powder to give a leathery look to things. First you distress the hell out of your object, then ink it all up. I use my little man (aka mini mister…get it? LOL) and my distress inks to give all of the paper embellie an uneven look with wrinkles, then I go back over it with the blending tool to add more shading in some ares. Then take clear embossing power and go over the entire project. Your done! The finished project has a great leathery look it. It's fun to use monochromatic stamping, or very muted inks on your stamps to make it look like your leather has more detail.

Lisa, thanks, this is being saved to Word. Any images to illustrate the finished product???

craftysprinkles
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

Bonnie, darker colors for inks, metal, twine, and I love the TH dies for flower making!!!! It all depends on the color of the pp. Also love the TH and 7G embellies!!!!

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

I also have problems with masculine pages.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Snagg1
                  Send PM

[/quote]
                  Lisa, thanks, this is being saved to Word. Any images to illustrate the finished product???
                  [/quote]

Actually I don't. The last time I used this technique I cut it down to make a picture frame and the picture I took of it just doesn't do it justice. I'm doing another technique today with masking tape and it is very masculine. I am using the new kit paper and the chipboard. I'll post the pics when I'm done. If anyone wants the masking tape tut when I'm done I'll be happy to post it. The reson I want to wait until I'm done is so that you can have a before, during, after and then see it used on a page.

craftysprinkles
                  Swirly Scrapper
                    Send PM

Lisa, please post. And thanks!!!!!!

I used the masking tape technique to create a faux leather cover on a mini album. Very cool! You just use small strips of masking tape to randomly cover the area (say about 1-2 inches). Overlap. Then ink all over with TH distress ink. THen cover with embossing medium, coat with clear embossing powder and heat. I am thinkin the distress embossing powders would look cool too.

A good place to shop is your husbands tool box….ya know the little compartments he keeps nuts and bolts in….I've also started using some chain and springs that I found in the jewelry clearance sections of the craft stores.

Meg, I agree you can use flowers on boys pages….I just tone them down by using darker one or changing the color to make them darker, layering them on top of some drywall tape and adding a masculine embellie to the center or cluster them with metal totally makes them masculine.

some great ideas….thanks ladies!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.