Home Forums Scrap Chat Ask the Designers Masks

This topic contains 20 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  craftysprinkles 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Just wondering…anyone ever try using a mask made out of cardstock? I've copied and made an SVG file out of some masks, but I'm afraid to use heavy stuff to cut them out. I guess I should try it….maybe some of that plastic that Lisa V used to make flowers would work???
    Anyone try it before me????

Are you wanting a one-off or a longlasting mask? If all you want is a one-off then cardstock might work, although you'd need to becareful not to oversaturate your mask. Id' suggest using acetate, vinyl, or the sticky-back mask blanks that TH sells.

craftysprinkles
    Swirly Scrapper
      Send PM

Debbie, I've never had the nerve to try this with cardstock, but it may work if you're planning on inking with chalk or distress pads…
      Have you ever seen this? http://rangerink.com/?product=tim-holtz%C2%AE-idea-ology%E2%84%A2-tools-mask-sheets
      I've used them with the Cricut and the blasted machine cuts them perfectly.

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

I was going to suggest those too Peggy or thin acetate sheets.

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

Maybe transparencies?

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

craftysprinkles
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

Yes, any of those should work. I like the Ranger because they come prestickied. I guess the Over & Over glue would do the same.
            Debbie, we're suggesting plastic simply because it's waterproof and all of the stuff that Kim, Angelica and I have mentioned are pretty thin so that cutting on the Cricut shouldn't be a problem.
            And I just had a flash. Do you save your plastic packaging like Tim recommends? That should do the trick and it's freeeeeee!!!!!

Yes, any of those should work. I like the Ranger because they come prestickied. I guess the Over & Over glue would do the same.
            Debbie, we're suggesting plastic simply because it's waterproof and all of the stuff that Kim, Angelica and I have mentioned are pretty thin so that cutting on the Cricut shouldn't be a problem.
            And I just had a flash. Do you save your plastic packaging like Tim recommends? That should do the trick and it's freeeeeee!!!!!

That's what I hear most people use – recycled packaging (thin plastic)

Side note: Die cut some fun foam and make your own custom stamps to match your die cuts & masks!

craftysprinkles
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

Monica, I love this idea!!!! Thanks!!!!!

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

Cool idea Monica. I cut one mask for an older Lynne tut, may have to get some fun foam to make the matching stamp. Especially since it was a cool flourish I cut.

Snagg1
                  Send PM

Debbie, I have used card stock for masks. I find a shape I like and cut it with my Cameo, and then use the negative and positive cut outs to create a mask.

They do not hold up for more than one or two uses. If you are ok with that, then you should give it a try.

I have a stash of the butt-ugliest colors of card stock that I use for this purpose. ;D

I too use cardstock for masks! Lisa used from a brick mask I cut out of cardstock from my Silhouette…her creation was gorgeous! Here is a link if you want to look at it.
                  http://what-a-beautiful-mess.blogspot.com/2012/08/swirlydoos-vintage-traditionsthe-color.html

Krissy
                  Krissy
                  Swirly Admin
                    Send PM

barbara, what image did you use to cut that mask for Lisa?

Krissy
                    Krissy
                    Swirly Admin
                      Send PM

Yep, I do it all the time! Just need to hold it down a little harder when using, and if you are using wet paint mists, you have to work a bit faster so the paint doesn't make the cardstock wet and blur your mask edges. 🙂

Krissy
                      Krissy
                      Swirly Admin
                        Send PM

Great tip!! Thanks Heidi!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.