Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Just Stuff My Italian friends and others…..

This topic contains 12 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Snagg1 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

Just curious, do you like polenta? Do you eat polenta? Do you know what polenta is? I am not a big fan of pasta kind of italian food but I love polenta and many of the non pasta dishes of Italy. Oh I love spagetti and lasagna but just can't take a steady diet of it. you know, 2 – 3 timesae a year and I'm good.

And this is truly sacrilege, I really am not a fan of pizza. Oh I eat pizza, just don't enjoy it all that much unless it is really really good and cheesy and light on the tomato sauce. White pizza is my kinda pizza.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

I have no idea what polenta is. I love most all Italian foods other than pizza, I don't mind homemade pizza but not a fan of other pizza's.

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

Polenta is that dish I always have to look up what it is when I see it…for that reason I would say it has apparently never made much of an impression.

I hated pizza as a kid, weird right, but I like it now. I don't eat it often though.

I love pasta, would eat it 3 or 4 times a week if I could, but since I cant I pretty much avoid it so I don't miss it so much.

Risotto is another Italian favorite. I had it for the first time on a trip to Italy, it was heavenly but I have found none that comes close to the original experience.

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

Well in the south we call polent.a grits! There is a difference in that all the polenta I have seen is made from yellow co and grits in the south is usually white. Of course I love grits and polenta. I made polenta tonight and ate it with a lemon garlic artichoke sauce snd chicken.

I bot some rice the other day to make risotto but I've never really tasted goid risotto so I not sure what I should be aiming at. Guess I need to go eat with Gordon Ramsey!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

I love all things Italian, which is tough being allergic to tomatoes. I could eat pasta just about everyday. Garlic and oil is my favorite sauce. I'm not big on heavy cream sauces.

To answer your question Maggi, I do like polenta and grits. I like risotto too. I've made it once and liked it pretty well. It takes time to make it, but it was worth it.

Maggi, what you need is a trip to Italy!

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

Maggi, what you need is a trip to Italy!

Well you are right, I do! However, I think dining with Gordon Ramsey would be way more fun and entertaining!! LOL!

Snagg1
                  Send PM

I like polenta, it's delish letting it get firm, then cutting either in triangle if you spread it onto a cookie sheet, or round disks and served with a brown gravy and mushrooms on top. Love pasta or macaroni as we say, I make my own pizza dough and we love it. As Italians we cook it quite a bit ;)

Krissy
                  Krissy
                  Swirly Admin
                    Send PM

I am not Italian – BUT you'd never know it from my diet. I LOVE LOVE LOVE pasta and pizza and could eat them both everyday – being pregnant has only made the craving worse, lol – I always want red sauce and of course beig so acidic I fight heartbu, but I just can't help myself.

As for polenta – I can live without – the closest thing I eat to grits is cream of wheat lol

Krissy
                    Krissy
                    Swirly Admin
                      Send PM

Love love love pasta….polenta is good if done correctly….it does remind me a little of grits….but after going to Italy twice…there is nothing like great Italian food!!!! Trust me…….I'm just sayin!

Krissy
                      Krissy
                      Swirly Admin
                        Send PM

I like polenta, it's delish letting it get firm, then cutting either in triangle if you spread it onto a cookie sheet, or round disks and served with a brown gravy and mushrooms on top. Love pasta or macaroni as we say, I make my own pizza dough and we love it. As Italians we cook it quite a bit ;)

I chill it and slice it and then pan brown and yes serve with gravy, I think its yummo!!! I went to an Italian restaurant and had a chicken and polenta dish with Italian sausage that was out of this world. Of course it was swimming in olive oil and butter but defintely memorable!!

Krissy
                        Krissy
                        Swirly Admin
                          Send PM

I made risotto the other night for the first time and it was good BUT I don't have anything to compare it to so I don't really know if it was a good as it should be.

To be honest, I thought polenta was a Hispanic food until I read through this thread. We have a large Hispanic population around me and I've only ever seen it at the grocery store in the ethnic food aisle, not where the Italian foods are. I've only had it once. Sliced it and pan fried it. Was good, but I don't think about it when I'm at the grocery store.

Snagg1
                            Send PM

I made risotto the other night for the first time and it was good BUT I don't have anything to compare it to so I don't really know if it was a good as it should be.

If you liked it, it's perfect Maggi 🙂 Sometimes I'll se a recipe for an Italian dish and hubby says, Why are you reinventing the wheel? Yours is perfect. That's all that matters.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.