Home Forums Scrap Chat Ask the Designers Painting/Masking on acylic

This topic contains 19 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Snagg1 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Hey girlies I am working on my first layout using a 12×12 piece of acrylic. What is the best paint/ink etc to use? Can you use glimmer mist on it? Best way to dry?…air dry or heat gun?

[img:width=45&height=53]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1278256069_38_FT0_sign0092.gif[/img]

xo Lisa

I would say air dry not heat gun. I have used acrylic paint, spray paint, rub ons, staz-on ink but not GM. GM works on everything else (even when I don't want it too!) so I bet it would work on acrylic too.

Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

I use acrylic paints, Stazon inks and alcohol inks. GM didn't work for me, but maybe if you dry it a bit longer… Be careful with the heat gun. The acrylic can melt!! Best to ask Irene. She really is the acrylics queen!!!

That's fine. I have acrylic paint i can use. Does chalk ink work? I did glimmer mist it but it was very wet and smudgy so I wiped it off thinking it would never dry right.

Smooch Spritz yes…Glimmer Mist no.

Since it is water based, it will just sit on the acrylic and never dry.

Alcohol based dyes inks and sprays will work…OR you could prime it with Gesso, paint it then put Gm on it, but it would be all opaque….I guess it depends on what you are going for!

Thanks Manda!!

Snagg1
        Send PM

you ladies are all so talented and experimental!! Love it!..just my two cents…..acrylic paint, solvent ink ie. Staz On or Archival Ink (permanent ink), gesso, alcohol ink are amazing on acrylics. Oh, you can also use pearl pen, Zig Painty or Copic markers. I've tried GM…it would stay but takes ages to dry…not the look I would really like…my fav is still alcohol ink. Decisions as to using heat gun or not will depends on what kind of acrylic you're working with. Cast acrylic yes! soft acrylic No! Unless you want to create the warp shape. Which ever acrylic it is, don't position your heat gun too near or heat it for too long. Hope these help.

TFS  Irene!!!!

Yes,. I have melted acrylic!! :p It stinks!

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

WOW, thanks for all the info Irene!!!

I love using alcohol inks on Acrylics…. and with the TH pens, you can 'color' as well, as 'blot'….. 🙂

TFS all. I may try some alcohol ink and see how I likey. I don't have any of those type markers. I will have to do some shopping!

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

Add a little elmers glue to the gm and it should work. It's a sticking issue.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

Awesome info Irene, thanks!!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Ok I gave up. It looks like crap! I'm using a paper background and will have to practice different techs on a peice of acrylic before I do one for real.
              [img:width=21&height=19]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1278353832_38_FT1272_duh.gif[/img]

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

Thank you Irene…very informative!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.