Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Recipes PAPA BAHAMA'S KEY LIME PIE

This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  GlitterGirl 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I live in Florida..Cant live without my key lime pie…

1 Keebler® 10 Graham Cracker Crust
    1 egg white
    2½ cups Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
    3/4 cup pasteurized egg yolks
    1 cup Key Lime Juice (Nellie & Joes® Key West Lime Juice is widely available and makes a good substitute for the real thing) if not, use regular limes…
    1 lime sliced into 8 equal lime wheels

Brush egg whites on uncooked pie shell using a pastry brush. Make sure you coat evenly over the pie shell. Pour off any excess egg whites. Baked in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees for 5 minutes. Shell should look golden brown. Let cool at room temperature. While the shell is cooling, using a wire whip, mix the egg yolks and condensed milk together by hand until incorporated. Pour the key lime juice into the egg and condensed milk mixture slowly mixing with the wire whip by hand until well incorporated. Add the key lime pie mixture into the cooled pie shell and bake in a preheated oven (convection setting if available) at 250 degrees for 25-30 minutes. The finished pie should have a jell-o like consistency. Place onto a cooling rack to rest for 30 minutes at room temperature then put into the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving

WHITE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE WHIPPED CREAM
    8 oz. heavy cream
    3/4 oz. powdered sugar
    1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
    ½ tbsp. instant white chocolate mousse

Using an electric mixer, combine heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract in the mixing bowl. Using the whisk attachment, beat cream mixture on high speed for 2 minutes. Next, add the white chocolate mousse to the cream mixture and mix until it reaches the consistency of stiff peaks. Put the white chocolate mousse whipped cream into a piping bag with an open star tip. To serve, pipe whipped cream onto the key lime pie which should be cut into 8 pieces. Next, cut a slice in your lime circles, twist and place in the center of each piece of key lime pie then serve. If you do not have a piping bag, you can simply dollop a generous scoop of the whipped cream onto the center of each piece of pie.

If you saved the limes after squeezing, use a microplane to get some of the skin for gaish…It just looks pretty!!..See??

[img:width=394&height=252]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1283871142_55_FT0_cafe_desserts_key_lime_pie.jpg[/img]

craftysprinkles
    Swirly Scrapper
      Send PM

Ooooo! I love Key Lime Pie- especially the good kind. I think I will make this! TFS!

ohhhhhhhh yeah. Now for my second favorite thing at Tommy Bahamas. The key lime pie!!!!!
      I love your topping recipe. That sounds incredible. Restaurants here rarely serve key lime pie. Just not a NY thing.

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

Oh yum!!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Where do you get pasteurized eggs??? I understand the why….but I need the where???

Sounds yummy!

Where do you get pasteurized eggs??? I understand the why….but I need the where???

Sounds yummy!

Those are egg beaters. Those are all pasturized

That's what I thought, but wasn't sure…..Thanks!!!

Have you ever squeezed real Key Limes???? It was the most difficult thing I've ever done in the kitchen…..and the least fun! They are tiny little suckers at the store. They are probably huge and soft in Florida…..

Some Key lime facts:
        No you are correct.
        Key limes are smaller, yellower in color, seedy, sourer, and grow on thoy trees which are sensitive to cold weather.

Key Lime Pie originated in Key West, Florida by the local residents referred to as Conchs. The original version was made before the days of refrigeration. There were no cattle in the area so the only milk available was canned milk originally brought in by ship, later by train. This is why the recipe uses canned milk and not fresh. Also, the traditional key lime pie would not be cooked. The acid from the lime juice would set and thicken the egg yolks. (according to the Gourmet Sleuth http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Articles/Food-History-994/key-lime-pie.aspx

Ok, how comes I never saw this??!! I LOVE Key Lime pie!!!

Just use regular egg yolks…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.