Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Photography question about ppi size

This topic contains 29 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  GlitterGirl 7 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

OK – I am so confused and lost. My camera (Nikon D90) seems to record all my pictures at 240ppi. The photoprocessor I want to use requests files be sent at 300ppi. How can I get my camera to take pictures at 300ppi?

and am I making any sense?

The dpi setting has no effect on the actual resolution of the image file. The file from your D90 will have all its 12 million pixels whether the dpi is set to 72 or 300. I think the dpi value is only taken into consideration when printing, and even then, it can be overridden by setting the absolute resolution (X pixels by Y pixels) and the print size, which I find a little more straightforward. I would ignore the setting.
    It could also be that your photoprocessor is taking down your resolution. What are you using??
    Jen my Nikon takes pics at 300ppi by default. The d90 should be the same. Other wise press the qual button and choose a larger size…Large/fine.That may give you 300ppi..

Ok…you gals lost me when you said…Ok – I am so confused…..

I'm with you Debbie lol

craftysprinkles
    Swirly Scrapper
      Send PM

:| !dodge %-6 🙁 (

I was confused when this thread started %-6

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

I was confused when this thread started %-6

hehe

The dpi setting has no effect on the actual resolution of the image file. The file from your D90 will have all its 12 million pixels whether the dpi is set to 72 or 300. I think the dpi value is only taken into consideration when printing, and even then, it can be overridden by setting the absolute resolution (X pixels by Y pixels) and the print size, which I find a little more straightforward. I would ignore the setting.
        It could also be that your photoprocessor is taking down your resolution. What are you using??
        Jen my Nikon takes pics at 300ppi by default. The d90 should be the same. Other wise press the qual button and choose a larger size…Large/fine.That may give you 300ppi..

OK _ I 'll try that. I thought I did that over the weekend but when I took some pictures yesterday the ppi was still 240. hmmmm but all your information is good to know.

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

Your camera should have a setting in the menu somewhere that will allow you to adjust the size you want the photos to be taken in.

I'm not sure with Nikon, but I have always used Canon…I have a Rebel XT and I can set it to set at different dpi so you don't have to adjust it after the fact….

I'll do some research on your camera and see if I can come up with some more specific info 🙂

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Your camera should have a setting in the menu somewhere that will allow you to adjust the size you want the photos to be taken in.

I'm not sure with Nikon, but I have always used Canon…I have a Rebel XT and I can set it to set at different dpi so you don't have to adjust it after the fact….

I'll do some research on your camera and see if I can come up with some more specific info 🙂

wow – thanks. I'd appreciate that help.

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

[quote]

wow – thanks. I'd appreciate that help.
            [/quote]

No problem 🙂 I couldn't find a pic or manual that stated the menu that you have on your camera…however from what I know….in your menu you should have some sort of option to the size of photo you can take.

Like Lisa said, if your camera doesn't automatically take pics at a higher dpi, just select the best size that will produce 300ppi at the size you want….

Maybe this will make more sense:
            Whatever size picture your camera takes at the highest quality will be….say 4752 x 3168 (I know my old Canon Ti1 was this size)pixels.
            Unless you crop your image, (chopping off pixels), your image has that many pixels. No matter what size it is printed at, it has that many pixels. (The pixels change sizes, not the amount.)

*The bigger the print size, the bigger the pixels get, which means less pixels per inch.
            The smaller the print size, the smaller the pixels get and more can fit per inch.
            The pixel count does not change, just their size.

*So, an uncropped image at highest quality from your camera at 4752 x 3168 pixels,
            divided by 300 (300 pixels per inch, PPI) measures 15.84 inches x 10.56 inches. This size would be the largest you could print and have the best quality…obviously anything smaller than that at 300 ppi would be good.

Does any of that make sense?

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

yup, makes perfect sense…

craftysprinkles
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

Melissa, thanks for such a clear explanation!!!

Yes kindof sort of. I am still stuck on that 240 ppi number though. I get really dense with numbers

Ok….I got woozy just trying to read and understand all this dpi language! I'll just stick to my Brownie!

(LOL!!! You gals probably don't even have a clue what a Brownie is???? You probably think it's a little Girl Scout!! ;D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.