Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Photoshop Shooting in RAW

This topic contains 15 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  GlitterGirl 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Debbie asked about RAW in another thread.

Think of your camera's RAW files as undeveloped film – waiting for you to decide how to process it.

Think of JPEGs from your camera as prints you've got back from the coer store – it's all been done for you.

RAW is just the recorded information of a picture. It is not an image. The information needs to be processed in order to become a picture – a JPEG or TIFF.

You can do far more amazing editing on a picture when shot in RAW because you can recover or enhance details from the RAW data. You cannot do so with a JPEG. For example, clouds in the sky can be enhanced. You may not be able to see the clouds in an image very well but they may very well be there.

If you have the capability to shoot in RAW, I guess I would not hesitate to set the camera on RAW with attached JPEG on small or medium. This way you can quickly view and download the JPEG also – then ditch after you've sorted your RAW files. WARNING – they are really big compared to jpeg.

Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

OMG JEnnifer!!!!!!!
      Thanks so much for that info! My camera has the option for RAW!! I'm so going to try it now!!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Thanks Jennifer…..I'm going to research this on my camera.
      I really wish I could take some courses in photoshop. It's amazing!

I love shooting in raw..But be aware, the file size is huge and it eats a lot of your memory. But if you post process in a photo editing program such as Photoshop, Raw files rock!!

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

I forgot to answer you on that Debbie, sorry 🙁

Jennifer and Lisa covered it quite well.

Make sure you have software that can handle RAW files as well. My very old Photoshop does not accept RAW files.

Think of having full control of all the aspects of lighting, color, etc.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

I love processing my raw files in Lightroom2…

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

I heard lightroom is the bomb for RAW files. I didn't get the whole package deal so I just use CS5 for my RAW files.

If you know you are shooting in bad lighting then I would recommend shooting in RAW. Just adjusting the temp of the pic takes the yellow out of it.

… And here I thought shooting in the RAW meant you took photos without your clothes on… silly me…

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

LOL well it could be that too.

Snagg1
              Send PM

Goodness – I thought what lisa thought.

… And here I thought shooting in the RAW meant you took photos without your clothes on… silly me…

No, that would be neked Raw. But heck, if you get better images that way, go for it.

Like Lisa said, RAW eats up memory like a woman PMSing eats chocolate.
              a 4 GB memory card may possibly hold 300 pictures. If you shhot in RAW with an attached JPEG, you will get 2 files uploaded to your CS5.

Debbie, I had to get a patch for CS4 to handle my RAW files. Hopefully CS5 fixed that little bug.
              Incidently, not sure what camera you use. I shoot with a Nikon and my RAW files are NEF files. I have no idea what Cannon RAW files are called. Just be on the lookout for some kind of extension that you may not be familiar with.

Happy editing. You will love the difference and will really be amazed. Mandy mentioned that shooting in low light, you can recover so much of your hidden image.

You can fix your white balance soooo easy and make the yellows look actually white!!! wedding

Oh, thank you girlies! I use a Nikon DX40, and it's like yours, Jennifer. I have never used the RAW, but we're taking little Missy to get a pumpkin tonight, and that will be the perfect opportunity to try it out.

I am so excited to try it out!!! YOu girls are wonderbar!!!

Mandy…did you shoot the pics of your girls in RAW that you put on recently?? They were awesome!

Snagg1
                Send PM

These are some Great tips!!!! Thank you Jennifer for the info! I'm so new to photography!!!!

Krissy
                Krissy
                Swirly Admin
                  Send PM

Oh, thank you girlies! I use a Nikon DX40, and it's like yours, Jennifer. I have never used the RAW, but we're taking little Missy to get a pumpkin tonight, and that will be the perfect opportunity to try it out.

I am so excited to try it out!!! YOu girls are wonderbar!!!

Mandy…did you shoot the pics of your girls in RAW that you put on recently?? They were awesome!

No none of those pics were shot in RAW. I shoot in RAW when I know I will want to really play with the photos.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.