Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Just Stuff Skeeter Syndrome

This topic contains 12 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Krissy Krissy 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Snagg1
      Send PM

Don't know if anyone else is familiar with this, but my little guy suffers from it. He's allergic to mosquito bites and one bite will make the rest of him break out in big swollen bumps! He has one on the back of his thigh which went from the left to the right, it was huge, then he had one on his arm. By last night he had one on the inside part of his hand where your thumb meets your hand. He looks like someone punched him in his eye so I searched online and found out that the rest aren't bites but a reaction to just the one that started on his leg. They say antihistamine to counter the reaction, so if you have a younger one with this reaction to a bite, they might have skeeter syndrome!

I have wondered about that, because when I get one bite, I itch all over.

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

I react quite strongly to mosquito bites but not that strong! Poor little guy!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

My nephew always got huge bumps when bit by mosquitos. I wonder if this is what was going on. He's an adult now and I don't think he reacts quite so severely anymore.

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

When my daughter was 3 she got bit close to her eye and her whole eye was swollen shut. She looked like she'd been punched too. She still reacts to them, but not as badly as your poor son. Hope the antihistamine works quickly for him.

Snagg1
            Send PM

It just might be Cheryl! It is more prevalent in kids because their immune system isn't as strong.

Snagg1
              Send PM

Poor litttle guy!

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

Oh I totally understand, my daughter was like that, I always had to have the antihistamine in the cupboard. Non of the bug spray would work at all. The only thing that stopped the bugs biting was using Avon Skin so Soft lotion. Not sure if you guys have Avon in the US but if you do you should try it out, the lotion not the oil one.

craftysprinkles
                Swirly Scrapper
                  Send PM

Oh, poor little guy!!!!!
                  Yes, Steph, we do have Avon and you're right about Skin So Soft.
                  And here's a weird one, but it worked with my kids: I used to treat the bites with spray starch and it stopped the itching.

Krissy
                  Krissy
                  Swirly Admin
                    Send PM

Wow spray starch, where did you find out about that one?

Snagg1
                      Send PM

Hubby doesn't like the smell of SSS. Spray starch, interesting 🙂

I know what it is and how painfull it is! My sister has it and has had it since she was a kid.
                      We lived up in the north of Sweden where there is a LOT of mosquitos…
                      My sister moved to the south of Sweden when she was older ;) where it is less mosquitos.

Krissy
                      Krissy
                      Swirly Admin
                        Send PM

My nephew always got huge bumps when bit by mosquitos. I wonder if this is what was going on. He's an adult now and I don't think he reacts quite so severely anymore.

Interesting because I do not swell as much as I did when I was a kid either. I have had my eyes swollen shut and I remembe rwhen I was about 5 that my leg swelled so much I could hardly walk, nothing like that now, just a really really itching welt.

BUT OMG, got some chigger bites last week. Holy hell, I've never itched so much in my life!! I do carry hydrocortisone cream in my purse, never leave home without it or I'd scratch myself bloody.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
                        Krissy
                        Swirly Admin
                          Send PM

What are chiggers Maggi?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.