Home Forums Scrap Chat SQOTW SQOTW 10/10/11 – Stamp Storage

This topic contains 33 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  GlitterGirl 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Snagg1
      Send PM

Ever feel like the bazillion stamps you have are under appreciated and under utilized?

I have a lot of stamps, although admittedly not nearly as many as some, but that doesn't mean I'm not trying to catch up. ;) It dawned on me that I have not loved my stamps nearly enough and I think it is because I end up having to dump out the drawers they are in so I can see what I have…..which means I then have to pick them all up and put them away.

I have been trying to think of a storage solution that would be easy to use and would take minimal effort on my part to see everything. What I've decided to try is using one of my own d-ring binders and some of those EZstorage page-thingies. They already have 3 holes punched in them and they are meant for binders. I figured this may be the cheapest way to get what I need.

What do you guys do??

Well, when I first started stamping (about 14 years ago), I had a little storage caddy…. then I moved up to one tall plastic caddy from Costco that had 9 drawers… then I bought another one…. and then a small one with three drawers… and another… and another… (add about 6 more that in here). For the first few years I was good about keeping my index current, the drawers labeled and sorted, and everything in its place. Three moves later, I have a bazillion stamps, a woefully out-of-date index, and major frustration!

A year or so ago I decided to start unmounting my stamps, so I started with the Christmas stamps and managed to get almost all fo them unmounted, backs covered in Aleene's Tack-It-Over-and-Over glue (Michael's in the glue section) and placed on some plastic inserts. This this worked quite well to consolidate my stamps, so I've invested in some EZ Storage pages to start unmounting more of my stamps. As I unmount and transfer to those pages, I will be creating an index to be placed in the binder with the stamps, so I always have a positive image of the stamp to really know what I'm looking at. My binder will look like this: page protector with stamped index, EZ Storage page, page protector, EZ Storage page… you get the idea.

This is not a quick project and will probably take me a couple years to do, but it will free up so much space and allow me to actually find and use my stamps! A row of labeled binders to leaf through is a much better solution for my stamps than drawers that I have to dump out just to find one single stamp. I also have a specific stamp company's stamps stored in CD jewel cases (the regular ones not slim-line) but it would take up too much space to do that with my vast collection of images, not to mention all the larger stamps wouldn't fit in one.

I also plan to thin out my collection as I go, since I know that some of those stamps were purchased for a specific project and won't be used again, or I've changed my tastes/style, or just don't like them anymore…. My mom loves when I do this, as she gets a fun package in the mail. ;)

I am looking for easy storage all though I might only have like 70 stamps but it is still a pain to find the one I want. Mine are in a tote right now!!

spectacular question. I am in the same quandary.

I have a shelf with storage boxes and binders for mine. I still end up digging though. I have them even stored by design and season. Cause I know I have a certain stamp but can't remember which category I stored it in… But they are in one location and easy to get to when I do have to dig. Lol

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

Oh goodness, you know my love for organizing! Here's my two cents…

Fortunately, I do not have that many stamps, but here's what I do. I have a shelf that I believe is supposed to be for your pantry that I spray painted and mounted to my wall for wood mounted and LaBlanche stamps…

[img:width=400&height=300]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1318294905_531_FT122726_img_1344-1.jpg[/img]

Next, I use those Target plastic Itso bins for my clear mounted stamps. I place them in DVD holders instead of CD holders because this will usually hold the entire set.

[img:width=400&height=300]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1318294985_531_FT122726_img_1345.jpg[/img]

I also use those bins for my supplies (stamp cleaner), Martha Stewart Stamp Around The Page, large ink pads, and acrylic blocks…

[img:width=400&height=300]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1318295088_531_FT122726_img_1347.jpg[/img]

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

I have a 7 Gypsies Library drawer that I keep on my tabletop. This allows everything to be at my fingertips while working. I created a tab for stamps and I save all of the backing that came with the packaging and has a picture of the stamps. This is just mounted to white cardstock, but it allows me to flip through all of my stamps while sitting at my desk. I also do this with my dies, embossing folders, etc.

[img:width=400&height=300]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1318295312_531_FT122726_img_1351.jpg[/img]

[img:width=400&height=300]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1318295347_531_FT122726_img_1353.jpg[/img]

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

Finally, I love these stamp binders for my cling mounted stamps and I actually also use them for my spellbinder's dies (I just put down a magnetic page and there you go!)

[img:width=400&height=300]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1318295494_531_FT122726_img_1356.jpg[/img]

[img:width=400&height=300]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1318295526_531_FT122726_img_1357.jpg[/img]

[img:width=400&height=300]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1318295550_531_FT122726_img_1358.jpg[/img]

[img:width=400&height=300]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1318295568_531_FT122726_img_1359.jpg[/img]

I hope you guys get a couple of ideas! Enjoy!

Lisa, What an awesome question, I'm dying to lea all the solutions! Mine are a mess, and yes I have to go through a box full of stamps. Makes you forget easily on some beautiful stamps.

AMber wow……. you are so organized.

Monica… I love that idea of using Aleene's Tack-It-Over-and-Over glue. Does it reallly work??? cause I have some clear stamps that won't stick no more. NO FUN!!

Great question..I NEED AN INTERVENTION!!!!!.I have sooooo many, that I am lost in a sea of stamps!! And with being on the HC DT, I get a new collection every month. Sometimes 2 collections. Great storage ideas…Mine are just lined up in a canvas bin..I go through them like a file system, but I need a better system. because now they are spilling into boxes.

And girls. I am on the lookout for these stamps by My Minds Eye. Stella Rose Gertie…I think they discontinued them a couple of months ago…But I WANT them. So if you have them and would like to sell them, I will buy them. I have checked Ebay, All the online stores, I found a set in Australia, 2 sets left , but after conversion and shipping and handling, the 5.99 set of stamps would cost me 40 bucks..I dont want them that bad…hee hee…

[img:width=342&height=577]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1318326101_55_FT122726_mme_stella_rose_stamps.jpg[/img]

Snagg1
              Send PM

And girls. I am on the lookout for these stamps by My Minds Eye. Stella Rose Gertie…I think they discontinued them a couple of months ago…But I WANT them. So if you have them and would like to sell them, I will buy them. I have checked Ebay, All the online stores, I found a set in Australia, 2 sets left , but after conversion and shipping and handling, the 5.99 set of stamps would cost me 40 bucks..I dont want them that bad…hee hee…

[img:width=342&height=577]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1318326101_55_FT122726_mme_stella_rose_stamps.jpg[/img]

Lisa I think I saw those over at Simon Says Stamp.

I need an answer to this too! I have none at the moment. I am currently re-organizing and my stamps are a major point of contention.

Finally, I love these stamp binders for my cling mounted stamps and I actually also use them for my spellbinder's dies (I just put down a magnetic page and there you go!)

[img:width=400&height=300]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1318295494_531_FT122726_img_1356.jpg[/img]

I hope you guys get a couple of ideas! Enjoy!

Where did you get those?

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

Hi Manda,

I got these binders at Cut at Home by JustRite Stampers. They also sell the page refills. I will wa you…the Tim Holtz stamps do not fit perfectly. There was definitely some creative trimming that went on to keep them on their original backing!

I'll try to attach a link, but mine never seem to work!

http://www.ucutathome.com/store/subcat/JustRite-Stampers-Accessories/id/227

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.