Home Forums Scrap Chat SQOTW SQOTW 11/18/13 paper trimmer

This topic contains 17 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  craftysprinkles 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

What brand of paper trimmer do you have? What do you like about it? What was the worse you've had?

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

I had a small orange Fiskars personal trimmer and all my cuts were crooked. My lovely engineer of a hubby pointed out that the swing arm is flimsy and flexible and the way it swings down from left to right allows for even more flexing to the right thus causing consistent crooked cuts.

The loving little man that he is came home with a Cricut personal trimmer where the swing arm comes down from the top. Since both sides are braced it prevents any flexing and you get a nice straight cut every time. Note: I've had friends who have dull blades right out of the package. If this happens to you u can either tu the blade (it may be sharper on the other side) or just replace the blade. I also like that there is an embossing blade with it too.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

I have a simple office-supply guillotine paper trimmer. I love it because it it square and make straight cuts.

I had a fiskars paper trimmer which I absolutely hated. The blades needed to be replaced so often and it did cut straight because of the wiggling of the plastic part. The only reason I kept it for so long was that it was easy to make score lines.

I have Tonic guillotine paper trimmers, which I love!! I have the large base the small base, and the personal trimmer (for trimming photos & small stuff). They are the sharpest and most accurate trimmers I've used. When I first started papercrafts, back in the late 1990s, I picked up a Fiskars rotary trimmer, and used it for many years. The biggest problem I had with it is that it had a little rubber strip under the blade that had to be replaced periodically, which Fiskars discontinued when they updated the trimmer. I did NOT like the updated version, as it had a hard plastic strip that I couldn't get a straight, even cut with. That's when I switched to Tonic and never looked back. I still have that original rotary trimmer for guests to use, as I did manage to find a couple packages of those strips a couple eyars after buying the Tonics.

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

I currently have a cutterpede and the big zutter trimmer for heavy duty materials. I love my cutterpede, I know some people don't like it. It hasn't failed me yet.

when I first started scrapping, I had the gray and orange fiskars that never cut straight. I always thought it was me until it broke and I got my cutterpede and made my first straight cut.

I had a Creative Memories one – the only tool from them I hated… now I have a heavy duty Xacto that I bought at Staples. Been well used over 3 years and just now needs a blade sharpening but will last forever other than that.

Snagg1
            Send PM

Well,at least I'm not alone with the crooked Fiskar trimmer, it is the one I use,but I don't count on the swing arm. Time to change it up! Ooh, just in time for my Christmas list!

I have a Fiskars triple track. I get along with it pretty well.

craftysprinkles
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

I still use the Fiskars blue thing with the swingout arm that I bought when I started scrapping. And I confess to being pretty er, frugal when it comes to replacing the blades, so I end up with an automatic distressed edge on everything I cut.
              You need to be very careful lining up and you need to have a good grip on you paper while running the blade, but otherwise, it works for me.

I'd love to have a guillotine, but as long as this works…

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

I have the large and personal size Fiskars Rotary blade cutters and have had no problems. The cutterpede and I could no get a straight cut

I have the Carl 12 Professional Rotary Paper Trimmer from Staples and I like it. I've had it since 2008 (?) and it works well. My only problem is that is not completely 90 degrees angle and my paper looks crocked sometimes when I forget to correct for the little bit that it's off.

Snagg1
                  Send PM

I have two paper trimmers–the Fiskars gray one that I use about a third of the time and then a guillotine Purple Cow trimmer that also has a rotary cutter on one side with a few interchangeable blades for different edges. I do lots of cards so I usually use the Purple Cow to cut groups of papers and then the Fiskers for quick jobs.

Krissy
                  Krissy
                  Swirly Admin
                    Send PM

I've had the Fiskars trimmer and now I have the Tonic orange & grey one and I find that both of them never give me a straight cut. I'd like to get one of those big heavy duty paper trimmers that you find in an office.

I searched for the perfect paper trimmer for years. After trying everything on the market, I finally found one I love. It is the Fiskars ProCision Rotary 12 trimmer. You can't change blades, but the blade never has to be replaced because it has a self-sharpener. It cuts chipboard, and you can shave tiny little bits off edges. It is currently on sale at scrapbook.com for $96. I've had mine about a year now and I absolutely love it. Straight cuts every time, even on a stack of cardstock, and no expensive blades or rubber strips to buy. My former Fiskars trimmers wouldn't cut straight, and the big Zutter one is too heavy. I want to be buried with it, just in case.

Krissy
                    Krissy
                    Swirly Admin
                      Send PM

I totally need a new trimmer! I have the Martha Stewart one and HATE it! It doesn't even go up to 12 inches! UGH!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.