Home Forums Scrap Chat SQOTW SQOTW 2 – 20 – 12 Glossy or matte printed pics?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Krissy Krissy 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

When you get your photo's printed, wheter you print them yourself or get them from the photo lab… Do you prefer Gloss or Matte printed pictures. And Why?

Since I live in the middle of nowhere, I print almost all of my own photos. I use HP premium plus photo paper in Soft gloss. I like it because it doesn't show fingerprints and I don't get glare when I photograph my LO's.

Matte. I like the less glare.

Snagg1
      Send PM

Matte I also like less glare.

craftysprinkles
      Swirly Scrapper
        Send PM

I've never really thought about it. I use glossy, but for no good reason other than that's what's easiest to find in 4×6 with tab.

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

I've never really thought about it. I use glossy, but for no good reason other than that's what's easiest to find in 4×6 with tab.

Ditto

I think Glossy gives you more detail and vibrant color, matte of course has less glare, but unless you use top quality papers, matte loses some sparkle to it. I prefer glossy.

craftysprinkles
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

I thought I preferred matte for a long time, but then I had a hard time finding it for my little printer, and the color carts always came with 100 glossy sheets, so I just use glossy. I guess I don't really care. 🙂

craftysprinkles
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

Glossy as I get mine from Kodak and I have not figured out how to get matte ……. But a photographer friend told me the same as Lisa – better colour and clearer detail with gloss.

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

I prefer matte, but since I do most of my printing at home I end up with glossy. I loved the matte prints from Scrapbookpictures.com, but now they're gone.

I prefer glossy for the look but matte for photographing layouts is easier – no glare!

Krissy
                Krissy
                Swirly Admin
                  Send PM

I used to use Glossy, until I got so fed up with fingerprints…. and switched to matte….

craftysprinkles
                  Swirly Scrapper
                    Send PM

I mostly use glossy, mostly because it's so much easier to find. Like Lisa, I think that the details come out much better on glossy.
                    However, I have printed out some the the images from The Graphics Fairy and Magic Moonlight on plain white cardstock with a matte setting. Because these are vintage images, I'm not looking for a lot of clarity and this works just fine.

craftysprinkles
                    Swirly Scrapper
                      Send PM

I print mine at home and use something from Canon called Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss. Canon's description of this paper reads, The velvety texture of this semi-gloss paper gives your photos an amazingly rich quality. Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss produces vibrant images with low glare and a soft glossy finish for photo lab quality prints right at home. It seems to be the best of both worlds…

I use HP Advanced or Premium. I think they are both semi-gloss.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.