Home Forums Scrap Chat SQOTW SQOTW

This topic contains 11 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Krissy Krissy 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Tell us about your work in stages! Where to start, how the process of job creation?

Good question Elena!

I usually start by selecting my papers, I know this is a little odd, but I somehow know which photo's I have, and you can Always edit them to sepia or b/w. When I selected my papers I grab my picture with me and then I decide (sp) on my design. The next step usually is, getting the goop out and create either with a stencil or palet knife – stamping etc. Then I commit on cutting my papers – distress them and glued their centers down. I place my picture and start playing with embellies, once I like it, I glue it down. Add some details by using liquid Pearls or iridescent medium. The last thing I do is distressing the outher edges of my background cardstock/paper.

Oh, thank you Paulien! Great answer! I also almost do!) Thank you, it's very interesting…

Snagg1
      Send PM

I pull out the paper combo I want-usually for a specific picture but lately I have just started in on the design like Paulien. I lay all the elements out on the page,including embellies and take a picture on my phone. Then i dismantle it and start the distressing,misting,texture,etc. and use my pic as a guide to how to reconstruct it. Sometimes it goes off on a different course but that's part of the fun!

craftysprinkles
      Swirly Scrapper
        Send PM

When I scrap for myself, I start with the picture and see what papers will go well with it. When I am working with a kit, I always start with the design. Like Paulien, I know my pics, and I can edit them to fit with the kit.

I start with my layers, then wing it. Misting and using stencils are usually something I do last. I also take pictures along the way so I don't forget how I wanted something to be.

Oh, thank you ladies for such interesting answers! Always interesting to see how the masters work!Thank you very much!)

craftysprinkles
        Swirly Scrapper
          Send PM

Oh, dear, well here's the confessions of a slow, slow scrapper.

Like Paulien and Rae, I have a pretty good idea of my photos. (Once in a while, I'll go through them to refresh my memory and when I get a must scrap this, I put a copy in a separate file.)

Anyway, when I open my kit and pet the papers (this consists of looking at each piece in every possible direction and holding the various papers against each other), I mentally select the photos that I want to use.

Now for the hard part: thinking of a design. I usually start imagining this and that, sorting and blending ideas until I have a vague picture in my mind. When this is done, I take out a variety of mediums and stamps and stencils and think some more. FINALLY, I start to commit to my background, to my layers, to the die cuts…
          I assemble all of this, glue it all down, and then I take out my embellies for another round of trying this way and that way…

Elena, this is a terrific question! Thanks.

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

I am like Rae in that if I am designing for a kit I pick photos to go with the papers. Otherwise I choose my photos first and then choose papers to go with them. I usually gather 4-5 sheets of paper and push them around for awhile until I get an idea of how I want everything to go, then I start cutting and piecing. Then I will think about some mists, paste and masks. finally I work on flowers and added embellies. I usually have about 2/3 of the design worked out before I start cutting and adhering.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

I normally start with my pictures, unless it is paper that is screaming scrap me. Once I have my picture selected, then I chose what paper and embellishments I want to use. Lately I have been using a lot of sketches (thanks Jan) for my design. Normally I will push the picture around on the page until I get it in the right spot. Then I start building from there, paper layers, embellies, flowers, mist,stamping, masking. Then I do like Tracey. I put it all together take a picture on my iPad, disassemble and start reassembling and gluing. Once everything is glued down, I look at it and add 3 more things to it (thanks for the tip Andie).

I start with the photos and then select papers and such. Lately I've been using a bunch of sketches, mainly courtesy of Pinterest and Blue Fe Studios, which has helped me to make a *small* dent in the chipboard drawer. There are times when the papers dictate what I scrap, such as last month's kit papers from Maja which will work perfectly for my wedding photos (I suppose 17+ years later I should get them scrapped, hmm?).

If I am working with a kit, I know what papers I will be using, so I look for photos that I think will work with them. If they need to be changed to black and white, I will do that. Then, I play around with the papers, trying to decide how to layer them and try to come up with the design. After that, I play around with embellishments and try to mark where to do stenciling and misting. I don't often take photos of my LO in progress, but I do make notes of where I want to put things and of things I think I still want to do, so that if I leave it for awhile, I will remember what I had in mind when I come back to it. I will often let it all sit oveight and look at it with fresh eyes in the moing. Then I start gluing it all down and that's it!

I match/combine the papers first when I'm woking from a kit (the work is already done for us, right?) and then decide on my photo (s). I usually know which pictures I have and still need to scrap so I usually go to them right away. If not using a kit, I start with whatever pictures need to get scrapped first. I then do a rough draft design on photoshop so all of my designs have a 'matching' sketch saved somewhere in my computer 🙂
              After I have the pictures printed (I do this at home so I can get the right size), I start working with the papers (trimming, layering, distresing) and then I add the embellies. Lastly, i add my title and joualing
              I'm a slow scrapper (layouts take 2-4 days to finish) but I'm always happy with the results. I've been scrapping since 2003 and have only tossed/re-scrapped a picture 2-3 times in 11 yrs. Since all the main design happens digitally on photoshop, I leave very little room for mistakes on paper 🙂

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

Gee you guys are all so inspiring with your ways of doing your projects. I have a basket in my scrap room with photos that I've printed out that I want to scrap. I usually pick out a photo then see what papers I have that will go with it. Sometimes when I'm printing out my photos I know right away what papers & embellies to use for a certain photo. I also like to go on the inteet and look around at other layouts and kind of get ideas or inspiration from them. Not quite the artistic process you all have 🙁

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.