Home Forums Scrap Chat SQOTW SQOTW 4th April – cleaning

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by RAE RAE 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Bec
    Bec
    Swirly Scrapper
      Send PM

Today I have a question I really want to know the answer too…….because I have no idea 😀

What is the best way to keep your paintbrushes clean?????
      I’m a serial paintbrush destroyer. I always put my brushes straight into water and wash them out at the end of the day but I still get the brushes going hard.

Mainly it’s the brushes I use with glue, gel medium and gesso. I brought paintbrush cleaning solution from the art shop but it didn’t fix them.

So let’s here everyones tips….. I know there will be an amazing solution out there.

Or tips for keeping stencils perfectly clean

• This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by droopidog droopidog.
      RAE
      RAE
      Swirly Moderator
        Send PM

Nail polish with acetone works for a lot of my dirty brushes. I also have that pink soap, but I don’t think it’s special. Any soap would be as good. I find that a lot of the gels and pastes are very hard on the brushes and unless I wash them at the sink right away, they aren’t going to get clean.

droopidog
        droopidog
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

I just drop my brushes into water right away. I do occasionally clean them with Dawn dish detergent. I do wipe them off with a cotton dish towel I bought at the $ store just for scrapping.

For my stencils, I keep a bucket of water mixed with 409 cleaner that I toss them in. I also keep the bottle of 409 spray handy. So I spray the stencil, toss into the bucket of water and then use a nail brush to clean off. Works great. Most of my stencils look brand new.

Kim
          My Blog: http://droopidog.typepad.com/my_life_up_close_and_pers/

"Puff, Puff, Pass"
          http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x407/droopido

Peggy
          Peggy
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

I confess that I’m pretty careless with my brushes. I soak them in water and dry them with a bar towel when I’m using paint and clean them in the sink with hot water and Dawn when they’re full of mediums.

I gave up leaving a bin of water for my stencils; the kitchen sink is in the next room, so I just take them there immediately. I usually rinse them with hot water and use Dawn if they’re really messed up. I don’t care if they’re stained as long as the cutouts are clean.

Rae, I don’t remember ever hearing about nail polish remover. I’m going to try that!!!

A clean house is the sign of a lazy scrapper.

Bec
            Bec
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

Thanks ladies I’ll give those tips a try, although unfortunately I don’t have the same cleaners you do so I’ll have to try find an alterative.

Some of my stencils are very stained, I’ve been taking a few with me to the classes I teach and they yet ruined there.

RAE
              RAE
              Swirly Moderator
                Send PM

Bec, if you are using your own stencils for classes, I would try having everyone clean off the stencil with a baby wipe as they get passed around. When I was at Art Venture, we got a stencil and used modeling paste with it. I really didn’t want to use it because I didn’t want to get it messed up, but the baby wipes do work if you do it right away, for modeling paste, at least.

msjan1
                msjan1
                Swirly Scrapper
                  Send PM

Good tips. Thank you, ladies. I knew about the 409 but I’m bad about cleaning. I have a sink right next to my scrap room so I just rinse immediately in water. Someday I should be like Kim and really take care of my stencils better.

droopidog
                  droopidog
                  Swirly Admin
                    Send PM

If you have the room for a bucket just big enough for your stencils, I highly recommend it. When I scrapping, I just toss the stencil in and when I’m done for the night I clean them. This doesn’t interrupt my flow of scrapping and my stencils stay clean.

Kim

"Puff, Puff, Pass"

droopidog
                    droopidog
                    Swirly Admin
                      Send PM

Thanks ladies I’ll give those tips a try, although unfortunately I don’t have the same cleaners you do so I’ll have to try find an alterative.

Some of my stencils are very stained, I’ve been taking a few with me to the classes I teach and they yet ruined there.

As for the same cleaning supplies. I talked to the owner from The crafters workshop she suggested using whatever you use to clean your kitchen countertops.

Kim

"Puff, Puff, Pass"

Bec
                      Bec
                      Swirly Scrapper
                        Send PM

Thanks Kim, I’ll try my kitchen cleaners on the stencils and I think I’ll invest in a stencil soaking tub

talkis
                        talkis
                        Swirly Scrapper
                          Send PM

For me i put always in water and i m ok

RAE
                          RAE
                          Swirly Moderator
                            Send PM

If I had a bucket of water for my stencils I would spill it or the cat would drink the water. I have a bathroom super close to my scraproom, so I just wash them right away now.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.