Home Forums Scrap Chat SQOTW SQOTW 9/5/16 Video tutorials

This topic contains 10 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by RAE RAE 10 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    droopidog
    droopidog
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

Do you watch video tutorials? If so, which types are your favorite? Mixed media, altered projects, layout how to? Or a combo? When watching videos, do you prefer voiceover or pop up written instructions? Background music or none?

What about live Ustream, do you ever do any of those?

Kim
      My Blog: http://droopidog.typepad.com/my_life_up_close_and_pers/

"Puff, Puff, Pass"

droopidog
      droopidog
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

I love watching video tutorials. I watch all kinds. I start with the newest Swirlydoos video and then hours later find that I have watched several videos.

I prefer videos with voiceover, sometime with the pop up instructions they miss little details. If someone is just talking, most of the time they end up sharing little gems.

I have become a regular on the Thursday night Live with Prima Ustream. They are fun, the projects are great. Plus you get to tips on how to use Prima products first hand.

Kim
        My Blog: http://droopidog.typepad.com/my_life_up_close_and_pers/

"Puff, Puff, Pass"

msjan1
        msjan1
        Swirly Scrapper
          Send PM

hmm, may have to check out the Live with Prima a bit more. I don’t watch much personally. I don’t like how much time it takes! That being said, I like quick and to the point. If I watch it’s typically mixed media as I am searching/learning a new technique. Don’t need the music, just tell me what you are doing!

Peggy
          Peggy
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

I do love video tutorials!
            Unfortunately, the Live with Prima videos on UStream are usually way too late for me. I keep my fingers crossed that the ones that I’m interested in will show up on You Tube where I can watch them at my leisure. I know that they’re replayed on UStream, but the commercial cuts at the wrong moment are annoying.

As far as the topic, well, I can break that down to (a)how-tos featuring new products of techniques and (b)overall projects that look interesting. I may not end up making said project, but I’m learning “stuff” that I can use on my own work.

Voice over? Music? Pop-ups? I realize that a lot of videos are aimed at an international audience (and made by non-English speaking designers) so the pop-ups make sense.
            That said, I do appreciate a good voice over that explains each step.
            As far as the music goes, well, there is that mute feature…

A clean house is the sign of a lazy scrapper.

Merrihew
            Merrihew
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

I enjoy video tutorials, but I have to be careful how much I watch, because we don’t have unlimited internet access. 🙁

Kimberly
              Kimberly
              Swirly Scrapper
                Send PM

Bummer you don’t have unlimited internet. I like video’s with voice over. I agree I can mute the music. I watch all of the Swirlydoos videos.

GinnyH
                GinnyH
                Swirly Scrapper
                  Send PM

I do like video tutorial but time is always an issue. Doesn’t bother me whether its tabs or voice over. I would love to watch the live Prima U-stream but the times are always wrong for me being in the UK and then I forget to look to try and find them after! I mainly watch mixed media tutorials as that is the thing I have been experimenting in in the past year. I wish there were more hours in the day!

ginny 🙂

anniescraps
                  Swirly Scrapper
                    Send PM

Ginny I’m with you wishing there was more time in the day.
                    It’s hard enough to grab time in between the normal routine of the day and night, but my life is anything but normal.
                    Sometimes I will google a particular product and if a video seems to offer more information I will try to watch it. But I have to be honest I get bored. I like to get to the nitty gritty and find myself fast fowarding thru the video.
                    Can’t stand the music!

Bec
                    Bec
                    Swirly Scrapper
                      Send PM

I love watching videos too, I go through patches where I binge watch a whole heap then nothing for a couple of weeks.

I like all sorts of tutorials, I have a long list of people I subsribe to and just watch whatever catches my eye.

I dont mind whether it a voice over or subtitles, but I do tend to mute the music. I’ve been trying to record mine with voice over, but the one I posted today has subtitles because I have severe baby brain and would just be waffling complete nonsense on a voice over. I think it would take my multiple takes to record anything sensible so I didn’t try.

I sometimes watch the ustream videos once they go on you tube, the times are wrong for me to watch them live. My favs are Frank Garica’s ustreams.

StephD
                      StephD
                      Swirly Scrapper
                        Send PM

I like video tutorials whether they use voice over or subtitles. I really like to watch the Prima Ustream videos. It’s great if I don’t have time to watch the live show I can watch the taped show later.

RAE
                        RAE
                        Swirly Moderator
                          Send PM

I prefer watching videos that have either voiceover, or explaining while doing each step as it’s done. I think you can get a lot of little tips and insight to how other people do things. Not every video needs words, but I do like them best.

Making videos is a very time consuming process, so I do understand if people don’t want to talk and record, or even voiceover.

I am not a fan of music in videos, but like Peggy said, there is the mute feature. Hell, I even use that if someone is talking and I feel they are rambling or keep saying “um” every other phrase, because that does drive me crazy. (I remember getting spanked as a kid making fun of Ronald Reagan every time he said “um” and he said that after every sentence. 🙂 )

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.